Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (anthropic, Brev, Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 683 guests, and 208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#373567 04/22/14 03:45 PM
M
mudhole Offline OP
OP Offline
M
There are two supplies in the area I have found (central NC). Both are more expensive than I expected.
First guy has them at 4” to 4.5” for $140.00 per 100. He only sales in 100 fish increments. Second guy sold them last year at $1.75 each but won’t give a price until he gets them in early May. They will be 3” to 4”. He also suggested stocking 200/acre. My pond is 2 acres which would cost a pretty penny at those prices. So my questions are:
Are these normal costs for Tilapia?
Is this the stocking rate I would need?

Thanks for your help.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ask Rainman..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
F
F
The reason you are stocking is because of FA or feeding LMB?

Everything I am used to seeing is stocking "x" pounds per acre for either of the above reasons. So you need to find out how many it takes to get a pound. I know I have seen that around here, just don't know where to locate it at the moment.

I just checked the price for tilapia here. Its 18.00/# for 5"-10" size, delivered.

As BGK said, ask Rainman if he don't respond here. From what I understand he has a good stocking success with all different sizes in the mix.

Last edited by fish n chips; 04/22/14 05:01 PM.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I stock about 35-40 lbs of Tilapia per acre.

The first year I stocked 25lbs per acre.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Up here, I found that FA wasn't controlled until I hit the 40# per surface acre amount.

As it is with almost all fish, you want your stocker fish to survive, and the YOY to get eaten. So, you have to stock Tilapia that are large enough to avoid predation by any LMB or other fish in the pond.

I stocked a pond last year that the previous year was stocked with 3"-4" Tilapia (at the correct # per surface acre). The previous year the owner didn't have the algae control that he wanted. When I talked to him in August, he said that stocking the larger fish seemed to do the trick - he said he never saw any of the smaller tilapia that he stocked, and thinks that the LMB in the pond ate the majority of them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
At $18/lb, you are getting a food fish Hybrid Tilapia...Possibly even mostly male fish. Results will be very spotty at best, require they be stocked in warmer water, plus they die earlier. Mine are a little more per pound, but can be stocked at 62 degrees and live to 45 degrees, are ungraded, 5-10", so they are not pricey bass snacks and are very consistent on stocking rates for algae control/forage production. You could end up buying more than twice as many of the "cheap" fish to gain the same results. No savings there at all when the numbers are crunched.

I strongly suggest ungraded fish because of 2 reasons...Graded fish can result in a majority of a single sex rather than a good mix....Second, a few small fish may distract predators from the rest to allow a faster pond acclimation, plus the few small ones sacrificed weigh/cost very little. (I personally stock a pound or two extra to cover any loss)

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Stocking by numbers has never worked well, when it comes to goal achievement consistency and results, due to the wide range of size and sex mix percentages.

A 5" Tilapia may not even be sexually mature if grown in very fertile water. Stocker fish are there for one reason, reproduction. The amount of algae consumed by the stocker fish is miniscule compared to what the offspring produced will consume.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/23/14 12:37 AM.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Rainman
At $18/lb, you are getting a food fish Hybrid Tilapia...Possibly even mostly male fish. Results will be very spotty at best, require they be stocked in warmer water, plus they die earlier. Mine are a little more per pound, but can be stocked at 62 degrees and live to 45 degrees, are ungraded, 5-10", so they are not pricey bass snacks and are very consistent on stocking rates for algae control/forage production. You could end up buying more than twice as many of the "cheap" fish to gain the same results. No savings there at all when the numbers are crunched.

I strongly suggest ungraded fish because of 2 reasons...Graded fish can result in a majority of a single sex rather than a good mix....Second, a few small fish may distract predators from the rest to allow a faster pond acclimation, plus the few small ones sacrificed weigh/cost very little. (I personally stock a pound or two extra to cover any loss)

Rex, you are the tilapia expert and highly regarded on the forum for folks in northern waters but info misleading for us Texas folks. We have been using Mozambique tilapia successfully for many years.

Our stocking numbers are much lower as well as cost, except when high numbers are required in extreme cases.
Most years I stock less than 15bs/acre but last year was an exceptionally bad FA and upped the numbers.

Depends on supplier as to where the tilapia come from - mine this year were mostly female and full of eggs - excellent crop.
Cheers,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, the reason why you saw success with Mozambique Tilapia is because according to Texas Parks and Wildlife, that's the only species that is legal for you to stock in your ponds. wink

It's been a while now since I've been playing with stocking numbers of Tilapia for algae control (not as long as Rex tho), and the reason (I believe) why we need higher numbers (per acre) of Tilapia than you do is that we have to wait longer in the year to stock Tilapia than you do. The FA gets a larger foothold, and takes more Tilapia per acre to get it under control.

Just like when Dave Davidson and Bob Lusk stocked tilapia at what I think was 10x the stocking rate that you are successful with, they didn't have success. The FA got way ahead of the Tilapia in their case. Same up North.

Tilapia cost more up North because of two reasons. 1) If you keep them over the winter, we have 5-7 months that we have to heat the water to keep them alive and flourishing in enough numbers to stock ponds. That takes energy, and energy costs $$. 2) If we don't overwinter the Tilapia, we have to buy them from some place down South, and have them shipped up here. Diesel fuel, insurance, O2, vehicle and equipment costs, and drivers wages all add to the cost that you guys down there don't have.

Last edited by esshup; 04/23/14 07:38 AM. Reason: costs

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: esshup
George, the reason why you saw success with Mozambique Tilapia is because according to Texas Parks and Wildlife, that's the only species that is legal for you to stock in your ponds. wink

It's been a while now since I've been playing with stocking numbers of Tilapia for algae control (not as long as Rex tho), and the reason (I believe) why we need higher numbers (per acre) of Tilapia than you do is that we have to wait longer in the year to stock Tilapia than you do. The FA gets a larger foothold, and takes more Tilapia per acre to get it under control.

Just like when Dave Davidson and Bob Lusk stocked tilapia at what I think was 10x the stocking rate that you are successful with, they didn't have success. The FA got way ahead of the Tilapia in their case. Same up North.

Tilapia cost more up North because of two reasons. 1) If you keep them over the winter, we have 5-7 months that we have to heat the water to keep them alive and flourishing in enough numbers to stock ponds. That takes energy, and energy costs $$. 2) If we don't overwinter the Tilapia, we have to buy them from some place down South, and have them shipped up here. Diesel fuel, insurance, O2, vehicle and equipment costs, and drivers wages all add to the cost that you guys down there don't have.

Scott, I know everything you are telling me - I just wanted to point out that tilapia information should be qualified as to region.
George

C
C
Speaking of purchasing tilapia up north, can someone help me locate and purchase some for my Michigan pond? I don't need adults/brooders, I just want to see how much they will grow and how much FA they will eat. I understand they will die in the fall. I don't have other predators and soon they will share the pond with minnows and other forage types. I'm assuming I'll source blue tilapia but I'm not that fussy. Looking to buy local but I'm thinking if logistics and cost make it too complicated that I may just have them shipped in as 1-2" size fish to keep cost down.

I'm thinking at the 1-2" size that 50-100 is all I'll spring for the first time around.

Other michigan pond owners who have tilapia care to comment? I think brian was trying to overwinter his in his garage/basement..how did that go?

haven't checked my water temp but we had 2 nice 70 degree days that I ran my aerator in the afternoon, but then daytime in the 50s for this week and overnight around 35F. Probably a bit cool in the pond yet.

For tilapia is it surface temp of 55 that is important or do they need fairly uniform 55 top to bottom? My aerator can help mix to some degree..

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
For fish that size I believe you're better off having them shipped. The fish that I have available are larger than that.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
F
Originally Posted By: esshup

I couldn't agree more.

I agree with all your reasons and thoughts Rex, but perhaps I just lucked into a "good spotty bunch". Some businesses can offer good products at a cheap price, so not every cheap one is "unreliable" or bad. However, buyer beware. It did work for me, one time anyway. Did not have a single problem of anything you mentioned. Don't know what the future brings this year, or what I will be doing. I may experiment a bit.....

C
C
esshup, will you be trucking tilapia through SW michigan? What sizes or prices do you expect? You can PM me if you prefer as well.

What is your thoughts on the water temps?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Essup, please respond on here as I'm sure there are many that would like that info.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I don't think it is legal to sell tilapia to pond owners in MI. For those in MI wanting tilapia don't get your "hopes up". MI has some pretty strict rules about what fish are allowed in MI. More info is likely to follow on this topic.

Here is a little of my experience with tilapia. Not all tilapia are crated the same.
1. It is the babies or youngsters are the major consumers of the algae due primarily to their high numbers. If the young are falling prey to predators then algae consumption relies mainly on the larger tilapia adults. To get lots of algae consumed it takes lots of consumers. One fish can only eat so much each day.
2. Some tilapia species probably including the hybrids have different eating preferences. IMO some are better consumers of algae that others - similar to eating preferences of humans some don't prefer lettuce whereas other love lettuce.
3. Number and size of predators have a big influence on success of the algae consumption. If your stocked tilapia are food for bass then you obviously will not see good algae control. A dead tilapia eats nothing.

Example -last summer I put 10 mixed size pure blue tilapia into a 0.25ac pond that was developing a moderate FA algae problem and a developing blanket algae problem often called Lyngbya (Cyanobacteria) where the algae floats to the surface in dark colored gray green, cow patty shaped mats. Owner uses light dose of Aquashade. Three small patches of water lilies are present. This 13 yr old pond was newly fish renovated and restocked with just minnows. Lots of young tilapia survived. By the end of August this pond looked very clean almost like a swimming pool. No algae anywhere. I very rarely see a pond this old where the side rocks and bottom were so clean. Without predators of the baby tilapia practically all algae were consumed. The owner was very impressed. In early November when water temps dropped to 47-45F, I removed by hand around 3 gallons of small dead tilapia. Several of the original stocked tilapia were caught by anglers in October.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/23/14 11:29 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Michigan has added Tilapia to the Approved Aquatic Species list, yet there are so many unpublished entry requirements placed upon fish stockers, I know of no one that is crossing the State line into Michigan.

I MAY end up hauling into Michigan, IF the state gets realistic about their rules for entry. As it is now, the requirements needed are impossible to be complied with and would expose a hauler to violating the Lacey Act...a minimum $100,000 fine now.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/23/14 11:59 AM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: george1

Rex, you are the tilapia expert and highly regarded on the forum for folks in northern waters but info misleading for us Texas folks. We have been using Mozambique tilapia successfully for many years.

Our stocking numbers are much lower as well as cost, except when high numbers are required in extreme cases.
Most years I stock less than 15bs/acre but last year was an exceptionally bad FA and upped the numbers.

Depends on supplier as to where the tilapia come from - mine this year were mostly female and full of eggs - excellent crop.
Cheers,
George

George, Scott explained the cost and stocking amount differences perfectly. Also, as he said, Mozzies are the only legal species in Texas. Texas HAS established, year -round Blue Tilapia populations in some lakes....I don't recall seeing any established population of Mozambique's in the state.

This thread was specific to the northern climate, so there was no reason to differentiate by northern and southern climates.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Yes Rex, anyone posting tilapia advice please note northern/southern regional experience
Many of us in Texas pioneered using tilapia for FA control and forage and take them for granted. New pond owners need to know where tilapia advice is coming from.

We are well aware of of our Texas tilapia regulations, but thanks anyway.. grin
G/

B
B
Yes Rex, anyone posting tilapia advice please note northern/southern regional experience
Many of us in Texas pioneered using tilapia for FA control and forage and take them for granted. New pond owners need to know where tilapia advice is coming from.

G/

So is Tilapia the best way to control FA in east texas ponds?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I talked to Dr. Barr, and like Rex said, Tilapia are approved. Still doing the paperwork dance with Mi., and I have VM on my phone that I'm saving from some of the higher ups regarding regulations, on what is and is not required. I figure that once I'm good to go, if I get stopped I can play the recording(s) for the person and let them call the individual who left the message on my phone.

The prices are on the website, and are per pound of fish.I think it's pretty well spelled out.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: bobbystout

G/

So is Tilapia the best way to control FA in east texas ponds?

Absolutely Bobby, but there are exceptions as Dave Davidson has reported, but that is the only one I have seen documented.

A little history of Texas Tilapia.
The first I ever heard of Mozambique Tilapia in Texas were developed and sold by Boatcycle in Henderson sometime about 2000+.
Todd Overton of Overton Fisheries quickly followed and has since been a major supplier in Texas.

Meadowlark, a one time PB contributor, was the first pondster that reported successful usage that I am aware of, and he used 10lbs/acre IIRC.
The following year per ML advice I stocked the same numbers successfully, but since based my numbers based strictly on FA problem and/or forage needs.

A report of interest - there was a meeting at DFW air port facility where a few early PB members attended, where a “heated” debate between ML amd Bob Lusk took place.
History has proven ML correct. grin

IMO, numbers stocked should be based on annual FA problem or forage needs by an “on the ground” competent fisheries biologist or experienced pondmeister.
George

Last edited by george1; 04/23/14 03:54 PM.

B
B
Thanks George

C
C
Bill,
thanks for your story about good success in the past. I wonder if the floating puddles of matted algae I had may have been the lyngbya variety. Either way, the lack of predators in my 1/3 acre pond means that I might get away with a starting dose of 25 tilapia rather than 100... The other consideration is initial size. Economics say I will be better off shipping small fish and let them grow over the summer. Reproduction is not too important if they will all die in the fall anyway.

I plan to experiment and report back my success.. If they all die in the fall then I shouldn't expect a big difference in success if i get mozambique vs blue variety?

F
F
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Reproduction is not too important if they will all die in the fall anyway.

I don't know about that...The way I am understanding it, and the way Rex and others have mentioned above, is that the thousands of babies from reproduction is what will control the algae. Not the 25 small ones you are thinking about stocking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails