Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
8 members (Mainer, TonyinKY, Bill Cody, Rick O, Willowwood, Augie, Shorthose, KenHorton), 1,050 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
whooven Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Great forum for all things pond-related.

The problem I'm having is that my pond water is opaque and likely suffers from what seems to be called "colloidal clay suspension" (particles of clay that are so fine they never submerge). Although vegetation grows around the edge of the pond in summer, it is otherwise a standing body of water that isn't pleasant to look at. I'd like to change that. I'm not looking for pool water here but I'd at least like water that is darker.

Although I have some ideas for how to clear the water up (starting with the old hay in the water method), I need to solve the source of the problem. The watershed above the pond consists of some vegatation and a lot of clay. I'm guessing the frequent rain here in East Tennessee washes the clay into the little pond. What can I do to encourage vegetation through the watershed? Does anyone have a recommendation for what grass or other vegetation would make a good and not too expensive cover? Is there anything else I can do to filter the rain runoff before it hits the pond? Perhaps a river rock/sand ring around the outside of the pond?

Attached is a picture of the pond area. There is a horse in this pasture, but only 1 and the pasture is 8 acres. This pond is in view on my house and back porch. I also plan on expanding the pond some and may encourage water creatures that would help control the mosquito population in the warm months.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill in East TN

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Hello Bill and welcome to the forum.

Have you done a bucket test to check on the suspension? Put the muddy pond water in a 5 gallon bucket and see if if will settle there without any outside agitation. If it settles in the bucket, something (other than ions/colloidal suspension) is keeping the clay mixed in the pond water.

I cannot tell for sure from the picture - does the horse have direct access to the pond? Livestock can easily stir up the bottom clay if allowed to get into the pond. If this is the case, fencing the horse off from the pond should help clear the water up. If the pond is his/her only source of drinking water, arrange another source. This could be as simple as putting a trough near the pond where the horse can drink, that you fill from the pond with a bucket once or twice a day.

If the horse cannot get into the pond now, how close can it get to the pond (on the uphill side? The bigger the buffer strip of undisturbed grass between livestock and the pond, the better. Some states require a 150 foot buffer for ponds that they help fund, but even a 50 foot buffer does a better job of keeping silt out of the pond than none at all.

Gambusia ("Mosquito Fish") minnows are the kings of mosquito control, but almost any kind of fish you could stock in the pond, including most varieties people would like to have in their ponds, will do a good job of eating mosquito larvae. So you can decide what fish you would like for other reasons, and the mosquitos will probably be history.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM