Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024, catscratch), 1,167 guests, and 361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MATT F Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
M
I have a small 1/3 acre pond in east Texas that is stocked with channel catfish and fathead minnows. We have had a terrible drought this summer and the water level is at a record low. Before stocking the pond about a year ago, we limed it to address the problems we were having with muddy water. This seemed to clear it up, but the water now looks as bad as it ever has. I was considering liming it again but didn't want to hurt the fish. Does liming have any affect on the fish and if so, how can you address the muddy water problem?

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Matt,

Welcome to the Forum. I have 4 ponds in East Texas and have had consistent success with lime to improve water clarity and promote efficient utilization of natural nutrients.

You might not have applied enough, or perhaps you have another problem that lime will not solve. For example, CC can muddy your water as well as certain other species of fish. Also, open, uncovered ground in the drainage that leads into your pond, obviously can cause turbidity problems. Lastly, especially in my area of East Texas, tannins from the pine forest tend to darken the water.

A soil/water test will tell you if you need more lime and how much more. I recommend it.

As to adding lime to existing fish populations, I haven't had any trouble at all , but that's not to say that anything used in excess that alters the water chemistry quickly will not adversely affect your fish...seems to me it certainly could, but it hasn't happened to me. Go slow and go according to the soil/test results, would be my advice.

Where are you in East Texas?

M
MATT F Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
M
Meadowlark, thank you for your reply. Our Farm is located between Grand Saline and Van just south of I 80. There are no pine trees around the water but we have had a problem with Hogs getting into our ponds due to the drought (I'm sure that soesn't help the water clarity on ponds of this size either). I'm going to check the PH of the water this weekend and if it is out of balance, I will try liming again.

Thanks,
Matt

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Matt,

Yes sir, those hogs can really play havoc with the water in a small pond. I have the same problem and its much worse this year with the dry weather. They make a wallow and a mess in the process. I've tried trapping but there are so many it does not make a dent in their numbers.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Lunker
Aglime does no harm, at all, in ponds. It may, or may not, solve your dilemma. One thing everyone needs to remember about lime is this...when you apply it, lime has a buffering affect on the water, like Rolaids. As lime is 'absorbed', its concentration decreases. So, additional lime is needed from time to time. Lime can only raise the pH to what the pH of the lime is, and that only happens when the water is reaching saturation. Lime can be effective for water clarity, depending why the water isn't clear. But, gypsum has a different chemical reaction in water, tending to flocculate suspended solids more quickly. When it comes to clearing muddy water, I lean much closer toward gypsum than lime. If the water is acidic, lime is the best answer, for buffering.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
What is gypsum used for, other than clearing water with suspended clay? If it's a soil conditioner, as I suspect what condition(s) does it manage? I am trying to track it down and when asking for it I need to be specific as to it's use. If the seller or anyone standing around heard me ask for it to clear my water, it would be an hour spent learning of dozens of inovative ways to clear water, most of which have never been tried before and none of which use gypsum.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
Lunker
Lunker
Gypsum is calcium sulfate. Its chemical reaction with suspended colloidial clay is much more rapid with gypsum than lime, but not as fast as aluminum sulfate in water. Gypsum is used as a soil conditioner to increase the amount of minerals calcium and sulfate for plant uptake.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
M
MATT F Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
M
Bob, thanks for the information. Where is the best place to buy gypsum, and how much do you typically apply per acre of water?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM