Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 712 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
it is time to create some minnow spawn areas by sinking some pallets. My 1/3 acre pond has no structure currently. The west half is shaded by large mature trees, some which overhand the pond as they grew on an angle out over the pond. So by midafternoon in the spring and fall the west 1/3 to 1/2 is shaded. It is pretty even slow grade down into the deep all the way around.

Right now I have 6 pallets. Is it best to put all of them in the shaded areas or some out in the areas that never get shade? Since I have 6 I was thinking of putting 6 singles, but I see some folks stack 2 on top of each other. is that better?

I do have some carpet remnants from our house. Would it be best to cover the top of the pallet with carpet before dunking it to give more surface area? How about the bottom? i assume the bottom will sink in the clay/sand bottom. If minnows lay eggs UNDER the flat surfaces then the bottom carpet is of no use. If the eggs can go on TOP of the carpet then the bottom layer of carpet may be of use.

I don't have access to weights right now. Someone said if I stake them in place they will 'waterlog' and eventually sink on their own? I was thinking of screwing some plastic coffee cans on one end of the pallet so that the shallow end is on the bottom and the end in deeper water sits off the bottom a bit to keep the pallet level, yes or no?

The coffee lids don't fasten on very tightly but I was thinking I could fill the coffee containers with sand first which would help keep the pallets from moving around and create a little cavity under the deep end of the pallet?

Maybe i can make some plastic 'curtains' or streamers that overhang the other two sides to help shade the area under the pallet and leave gaps in the streamers to let fish swim in and out? What do I have around that is rot resistant and yet flexible.... Maybe some old landscape edging or I can cut up some unused underground PVC sprinkler line longwise and make strips that way..

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You can't find some big rocks to put on the pallets to sink them? You don't need anything fancy just weight. I don't think it'll take much to weight them down..

Other than that I think your over engineering it.. make 3 piles 2 pallets deep in about 2 ft of water.. make the piles in different spots every year which ever spot seems to get the most action after a couple years stick to thst as your sweet spot and build on thst location..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
C
OP Offline
C
I also have a 4x4 sheet of foam insulation 1/2" thick. Can I use that? Maybe leave it floating?

How do you know if there is 'action' at a pile? I imagine you can't see the eggs if they are on the underside of the pallets?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I wouldn't recommend any foam insulation in a pond it can breakdown into a nasty mess..

You'll notice the action by swarms of breeding minnows around your best placed pallets.. or you might see action around all of them then you know your doing it right..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Drill holes in the bottoms of the coffee cans so they don't collect gasses and float. Put them in shallow water, <2' deep.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
As you mentioned, FHM lay their eggs on the under side of things. They also lay them on hard substrate, so I would assume the carpet would be a poor choice, but the experts might have a different opinion on that. Now other minnow species that lay their eggs on top the carpet might work well. I don't really know.

I have heard of FHM's using a red Solo cup for a spawning site in a pond, so about anything that is a hard substrate and has an underside in the depth range that the FHM's need, they will use as for spawning as desired.

The male also protects the eggs so areas that are easily protected I would guess would look good to a FHM. Like a foot long piece of 2-3" pvc pipe.

So whatever you might have laying around that you don't mind being on the bottom of your pond that meets the criteria above will probably work.

Shallower water will warm quicker so spawning will start earlier, but if you have bird predation very bad some structure in a little deeper water, like 3', will give some later or more protected spawning sites.

Just my ideas, worth what you paid for them. I'm no expert.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM