Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#372667 04/16/14 09:06 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thought I'd share this with anyone that is trying to recondition a membrane diffuser.

I just salvaged two membrane diffusers that were clogged with calcium deposits. Carefully pried a small part of the EPDM rubber out with a screwdriver and peeled the rest of the membrane out by hand. You have to be really careful with the screw driver as you can puncture the membrane if you slip.

Anyway after doing this the assembly unscrews easily unlike if you try it with the membrane in. Even with a vise it can be a bear and pretty much impossible. Believe me I've tried and even soaked and sprayed various things to no avail.

Next I soaked the membrane in muriatic acid in the bottom of a five gallon bucket weighted dowm with non-limestine rocks, and it came you as clean as it was brand new. I don't believe soaking the entire diffuser assembly will work well but could be wrong.

It's crucial you get the assembly back together as tight as possible or air can escape out the edge of the membrane. To do that I screwed on a piece of pvc with another right angle piece and clamped the pvc in a wooden vice. Then used both hands to tighten the assembly.

I tested both diffusers in the shop sink and they work great!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/17/14 04:54 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good to know buddy.. how long you think a guy could go before pulling them up off the bottom of a pond. I just give mine a couple bursts of air through valving once a month during the running season..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not sure these were used in indoor tanks.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I might pull a set up this year just to get some pics and document the process. .

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I would think soaking the diffuser upside down in the acid would clean both sides of the membrane of the calcium deposits.

To do a deep cleaning without removing the diffusers, Open up the line to the diffuser and pouring a cup of muriatic or formic acid in it, allowed to evaporate and work a couple hours and then followed by a couple minutes of the "flexing" routine would clean out the slits pretty well also

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
I would think soaking the diffuser upside down in the acid would clean both sides of the membrane of the calcium deposits.

Might work but it's not that difficult to pry out the membrane. Once you get it started you can pull it out by hand and the assembly easily comes apart.

To do a deep cleaning without removing the diffusers, Open up the line to the diffuser and pouring a cup of muriatic or formic acid in it, allowed to evaporate and work a couple hours and then followed by a couple minutes of the "flexing" routine would clean out the slits pretty well also.

Have you actually done the above?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/17/14 10:43 AM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
No...One of the forum members did however. It was also the suggested method in wastewater facility diffuser cleaning, using formic acid.

I never had an issue in 5 years of 24/7 use simply doing the regular flex cleanings.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No...One of the forum members did however. It was also the suggested method in wastewater facility diffuser cleaning, using formic acid.

I never had an issue in 5 years of 24/7 use simply doing the regular flex cleanings.

Good to know!

C
C
I believe those of us who have a single line compressor with diffuser cannot clean the membrane via flexing as we don't have a valve/mechanism to redirect air to 'flex' the membrane. Sue is that correct?

We only have the option to turn on or off.

The directions said if you wanted to make it easy to remove the diffuser head, to leave a line tied to the diffuser with a float. I didn't have the correct rot resistant line at the time I dunked my diffuser but I did have a big roll of bright green string trimmer line. I figured that would take a while to rot and used that. I tied a bobber to the top of the doubled strand with mono fishing line. I noticed this spring the bobber is on the edge of the pond. I imagine I can fish the ends of the string trimmer line with a rake or something from a boat and find a new float (someone mentioned a duck decoy, great idea!, i don't have one, I wonder what other plastic imitation pond life would float and look appropriate in the middle of the pond?) maybe serve a purpose to scare away unwanted creatures as well?

The string trimmer line doesn't float but I have enough extra that if I turn my bubbler on I bet the ends will float towards the surface and I can snag them. I'll then pull up the diffuser and see how dirty the membrane is. Last time i did this, mid last summer, I just had to gently rub the thin layer of silt/clay off the top with my finger and it was fine.

C
C
Quick search on ebay.. lots of neat duck decoys, a few frog and turtles that would work. But then thought...maybe i can put a floating light in and at night perhaps bugs would come to the light and fish could take a snack from time to time. I found an expensive one for pools and spas about $70 but also found this inexpensive color changing waterproof one about 4" sphere with a handy place to tie the diffuser tether up to smile

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Outdoor-Sola...=item416a77b7ed

C
C
come to think of it, I don't recall seeing bugs around the recharging LED landscape lights that many put out in their lawns. Maybe bugs aren't attracted to LED lights? is it the wavelength of the light or maybe the lack of heat?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Decoys, if left in the pond 12 months of the year will more than likely start to take on water sometime during the 2nd year in the pond. I drained a few, filled them with expanding foam and we'll see how long they last.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
come to think of it, I don't recall seeing bugs around the recharging LED landscape lights that many put out in their lawns. Maybe bugs aren't attracted to LED lights? is it the wavelength of the light or maybe the lack of heat?

Never seen a bug either, but hey, wasn't paying attention.

Those electronic badminton rackets work pretty good for zapping stuff tho.

Lunker
Lunker
I have a swimming pool rope float attached to my diffuser with UV safe poly-cord. It floats a few feet beneath the surface so my dogs don't try to retrieve it and to avoid getting frozen in the ice. I wondered if it would eventually take on water but so far it hasn't in a few years of use. I use a garden tool to grab the rope.

Here's one similar to what I use, try looking for them at pool companies or marinas: http://spaandpooldepot.com/pentair-swimming-pool-rope-float-5x9?gclid=CIPywdqJ6b0CFcyhOgodgF4AfA

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Loretta, my springer swims for the decoy when chasing geese off the pond. As soon as she feels the plastic, she swims after the birds that have real feathers.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I just remembered the other day... One reason I opted for removing the membrane for soaking is the entire assembly fits only about half way down a five gallon bucket, so you'll need at least 2 gallons of muriatic acid to submerge it. If you only have to soak the membrane then a few ounces, is all you need as the membrane easily fits in the bottom of the bucket.

You do have to weigh the membrane down with some igneous rocks. Don't use limestone in acid!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/18/14 11:32 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??