Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#372451 04/15/14 11:35 AM
OP Offline
Having no shade at the pond and wanting storage/work space I decided to build a shed with a porch roof to solve both needs. I started thinking 8x8, then changed to 8x10, then decided since I'm using 4x8 sheets of plywood, I might as well go 8x12 crazy.

I was able to build this in the shop which allowed me to work on it during the week when I got off work and not have to haul tools and equipment back and forth.

For you construction guys, remember this is a first for me!

Laying out the floor

Framing the walls and roughing in the door

Walls done, ready to sheet

Shed disassembled and with some (young and strong) help, got the floor moved to the pond.

Walls primed and ready to be hauled out to the pond.

Starting this project on Saturday the 5th at 4pm, it's now Thursday and they're calling for storms Saturday and Sunday (some possibly severe). So I took off work and recruited my dad (right) and my buddy's dad to help as I now have a deadline to get this sealed up by Friday afternoon.

We got the walls transported and everything's fitting great! But I had to rebuild the riser to increase the pitch (from 1/12 to 4/12)

Hoping the last wall is going to fit!

Rafters up and ready to sheet

End of day Thursday, roof sheeted and papered

And time to feed the crew

Each night after cleanup I put my lawn chair on the dock to relax, feed fish and cast a line, with Sammy's company!

Very encouraging to see some growing BG!

(to be continued)

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 04/15/14 06:34 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
OP Offline
Friday:

Dad offered to start painting while I shingled. God bless that man! But he had to stop and help Allen because those little strips on the back of the shingles would NOT come off in one piece!

Got the door installed and added 1x2's for a board/batten look

Nearly done, just need to frame in the windows, caulk some seams and add quarter-rounds to the corners. But at least got it sealed up before the 2 1/2" of wind-blown rain and storms that came on Sunday, finding only one leak at the horizontal batten boards so I got them caulked.

Oh, and I just found out those little strips on the back of the shingles DO NOT need to be taken off cry

Dad's gonna $hit when I tell him laugh

More pictures to come as I add a 6' porch roof (at the horizontal batten line), and since I have a well and power nearby, inside will be a countertop with sink for cleaning fish (Crappie) as well as general storage.

All in all everything went well, and best of all was spending priceless time with my dad who will be 76 this year!

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Very good job man for a first time project of this type for you.. you did a great job and deserve a pat on the back.. looks good man..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
And those plastic strip are to keep the shingles from sticking together in their packaging stacked on top of each other..

Oh well live and learn.. smile

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 04/15/14 01:41 PM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

R
R&R Offline
R
Man you don't mess around. Fantastic job.

"If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time"

Zig Ziglar
R&R #372496 04/15/14 03:04 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No need for horizontal battens. They make a plastic or metal "Z" that you put under the top piece of sheathing, and it comes over the bottom piece of sheathing. It directs the water over the seam and to the outside of the lower piece of sheathing. T-11 is tongue and groove too. Just seal under the tongue to the top of the groove on the vertical seams.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lovnlivin #372500 04/15/14 03:59 PM
OP Offline
Thanks guys!

Live and learn is right! And although I'm happy with it, in hindsight I would do a few things differently next time, such as NOT having an 11' ceiling in a shed blush. But I'll make the best use of the space (loft and a cot?).

And I'm still chuckling over those plastic strips. When I told my dad, the first thing he did was look at his thumbnail which still has tar under it from picking and peeling laugh

Esshup, I agree on the horizontal batten as all it did was cause a dam for water running down the shed. But that one (facing North) will come down when I put the porch roof up and I'll figure out something different for the other two sides. I really wanted to use the T1-11 siding but didn't due to the cost difference, and I'm afraid I'll regret that choice. And back to the live-and-learn, on the plastic or metal "Z",,,, apparently I didn't do enough research! I used "H" clips on the roof sheathing but nothing on the plywood seams. So heck, I may be putting up the T1-11 after all.

The weather forecast made me do a few things faster than I'd have liked.

But after looking at the second to last photo, I figure I can make another one just like it, attach the two together and end up with a small cabin!

Thanks again, guys!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Looks nice!!

S
S
Nice. Thanks for sharing the progress. Might give some of the rest of us encouragement to do something similar. I could use a small shed at my pond.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If you don't mind what kind of cash you got invested in the shed so far?

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

OP Offline
Snrub, It was Brettski (and others on PB) that motivated me! I gain a lot of confidence by doing some research, asking a lot of questions, and just diving in. There's basics that need to be known and some good common sense, but it then becomes much less intimidating. And because of this I now do all my own plumbing, electrical, etc. (even replacing a floor pan and rocker panel in a '91 Dodge truck). I won't pay labor if I can learn and do it on my own. My downfall is the detail craftsmanship which I see as an art, and apparently that's not my forte.

So for those who might be motivated to build or construct something, start small, gain some confidence and dive right in (and learn to laugh at all your mistakes)! This was a total first for me from the ground up. And boy do I have the utmost respect for Brettski and what he's done!

Bgk, I'll have about $1400 in it when it's done. And after reading what I just wrote to Snrub I could build it for much less the second time. The live and learn thing wink

But there's a lot of satisfaction from doing things yourself, even if it's far from perfect.

R
R&R Offline
R
Lovnlivin, I have found that to be true many times over. It's not always about doing it cheaper but just knowing you did it and what you got in it. I'm one of those guy's "If two nails are good enough then think how good four lag bolt's will hold". Great job.

Zig Ziglar
R
R
Great project. Congratulations.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I agree I come from a family of " Do it right the first time, never do it again" I live by this motto when it comes to my projects most people that help me with my projects can't stand this aspect of Me..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

OP Offline

grin

Now to add the plumbing, electrical, cleaning station and "stuff"!

OP Offline
Brought the power down from the pole, breaker panel installed, lights hooked up, got the plumbing done (no leaks), frig is in and cleaning station is operational! Now hoping to find some used cabinets. The one pictured was a gimme and I cut in the bar sink.

Water line-in (from well) and sink drain

Next up is the porch roof that I'm hoping to have done by Mother's Day (which might be pushing it) for the fish fry at the pond,

R
R&R Offline
R
Looking Good LL. Might check Craig's List. Usually a lot of cabinets on there.

Zig Ziglar
OP Offline
Yesterday was a great day to work on the porch roof, especially since they're calling for rain all weekend.

And somehow ended up about 3/4" out of square, so I inserted a little redneck ingenuity (note the strap from the truck).

But got 'er done!

Still a few mods to do inside but it's now fully functional!

OP Offline
Still plugging away and having fun coming up with more ideas all the time, on the 'shed' ?

But getting pretty close on the inside

So I decided to take a night off as it was just too beautiful out to not be on the pond.

Caught seven LMB between 10" and 12.5" to remove, and landed this 2.9 lb beauty as well (no tape with me in the boat to take length for WR or gape)

Then took advantage the new shed fish house(?) to clean what I culled and baked 'em on the George Foreman for dinner grin

Thank you, PB and PBF for giving more than I could ever hope to give back!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm impressed. Really impressed.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
D
Wow great work. Now can you drop up to Ontario here and make me one up with a sauna off the side?

I was hoping I was not going to be the one to have to mention about the little strip on the back of the shingles. How did your dad take the news? Tee he he.

I have only seen one other person try to do that once. The good thing is it will be stuck down to your tar paper or ice and water shield.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I'm impressed. Really impressed.

Thank you so much Dave, that means a lot!

Dono, thank you as well!

On the plastic strips, dad took it pretty well although he had tar under his fingernails for several days from picking at them laugh

And as far a sauna, it's been in or near the 90's here lately (and it's not even summer yet!) so it's already an unintended sauna! The windows help but I'm debating on cutting in a roof vent, although I hate to cut into the shingles now. Maybe I can just put one or two near the top on the sides.

Being a project-junkie I've never had so much fun with a (first-time) project and I'm still coming up with more ideas, so I know there's more to come grin

And to think this was supposed to just be a storage shed crazy

Keith

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??