Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I found a pole like that at Menards. It's extendable and used to attach a squeegee to clean windows. I used it to attache a push broom to clean algae off my cages.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/16/14 08:34 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Kinda slow to the party but my RES are southern sourced and I haven't found any dead this year..

Hopefully they are not laying on the bottom!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Just a quick note: There will be a redear shortage for the suppliers that get them in Arkansas. It seems the cold weather did a number on them this winter even down there. Kind of makes you wonder how adaptable they are up here in the north doesn't it?

The cold in Arkansas has no effect on the Redear....they are plenty cold tolerant. The shortages have come from millions of ducks devouring the ponds and targeting the redear Hopper-Stephens lost millions of Redear to the ducks last year too.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Just a quick note: There will be a redear shortage for the suppliers that get them in Arkansas. It seems the cold weather did a number on them this winter even down there. Kind of makes you wonder how adaptable they are up here in the north doesn't it?

The cold in Arkansas has no effect on the Redear....they are plenty cold tolerant. The shortages have come from millions of ducks devouring the ponds and targeting the redear Hopper-Stephens lost millions of Redear to the ducks last year too.

First I've heard of that. I was told it was the cold by an employee of Jones Fisheries that works out of Ft. Wayne, Indiana.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/16/14 09:08 PM.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
OK - going against Cecil's advice again, I couldn't help myself but don the waders and check the YP cages for signs of a spawn. Cage one had zero strands, and the female YP I could see still seemed gravid. Cage two actually had one strand on some of the rope, but when I pulled up the cage it rather floated off and away to the bottom of the cage. Uh oh.

I added a weighted bundle of green Ash twigs about 4' long in both cages. I'm thinking it's good news I only saw one strand between the 18 females today as I now have more suitable spawning material for them, then again concerned there was only 1 strand and maybe the females are absorbing their eggs already and I missed my window. Not sure, still a novice on cage spawning YP.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You worry to much TJ! I can relate though.

Just remember how many eggs are in that one strand!

B
B
arkansas pond stockers have all the red ears bought100 last month

Lunker
Lunker
Cecil do you think those female YP will still drop strands since they're caged with males? Wonder if the one strand is all I'll get...spawn is happening all over NE.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ, ya gotta get a boat.......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
I have three boats. I still had to get out to the cages and lift them up to see if there were any strands. Boat or waders, wouldn't have mattered. I rigged the cages so I could pull either way with plenty of rope left in slack after I loosen a knot.

I'm concerned and curious there was only 1 strand...been in there for nearly a week now. Will those girls keep dropping or did I miss the window?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Cecil do you think those female YP will still drop strands since they're caged with males? Wonder if the one strand is all I'll get...spawn is happening all over NE.

Yes they will drop their eggs if you quit barging in on the honeymooners orgy! LOL

Not all the females will drop their eggs at once. What's your water temp?

Cody can verify this but I think the presence of the one strand may stimulate the other females in the cage. I say this because when I see one egg strand in the pond other egg strands get piled up near them even though there are just as suitable places to dump eggs near by.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/17/14 11:00 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I have just some female YP in two cages now and both cages are getting new strands every day or two. There are still some gravid females in both cages.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I have just some female YP in two cages now and both cages are getting new strands every day or two. There are still some gravid females in both cages.

As Bill knows that can be a Catch 22 if you are a producer. That is, when you have hatches at different times you have fish that develop faster than the later hatches and can cannibalize the smaller ones. And different size fish have to be graded.

I was considering using a Ovaprim (a hormone injection) to synchronize spawning, as my fish for the taxidermy market are essentially "ornamental broodstock." However AES/Pentair messed up on sending me my quote and by the time I got it straightened out it was too late to administer. It may be a good thing because it would have precluded me from selling extra fish to others, that either would use them for food production, or in their ponds where they would end up eating them. Technically it would have been a big no no.

Back when I was producing fry by planting the eggs in the pond from another pond, Bill Lynch a large yellow perch producer in Ohio told me to put flags of different colors on the bank near each egg strand for the day they were deposited. Said if I only need a few egg strands to try and plant eggs closest to the same day for obvious reasons.

That said it's not really that crucial if you just want to produce a thousand or two fingerlings, as I still do that annually by putting them in a cage where they don't all drop the eggs at once.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/17/14 11:01 AM.

Lunker
Lunker
Good advice guys - glad to hear your YP are still dropping strands - means I have some hope.

I can almost guarantee I won't disturb the cages again.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
TJ,

I carefully took a peek in my reproduction cage and I'm not seeing any egg strands in my cage. Not one. Water's been very cold though. I'm still confident.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/19/14 07:54 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
As of Saturday I still have some females that are gravid in the cages. The egg laying in the pond has almost finished. New egg ribbons are rare. The first eggs that were laid are now hatching. Water temp has been as high as 60F and nightly low water 52-54F.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails