Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Foozle, Fishingadventure), 644 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#371012 04/02/14 03:56 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi Everyone! I've been reading up on this subject now for a while and I think it's finally time for me to pull the trigger. I'm going to start looking for someone to build us a small pond. Roughly 50 x 90 which is 1/10th of an acre. I do have a few questions before I have anyone come out just so I know what to look for

I'm creating a two acre conifer garden... the main reason for the pond is for the view. However, the area the pond will be built is slightly lower than the rest of the yard (maybe just a few inches). It stays wet during the winter/spring seasons so I'm unable to plant any trees/shrubs/flowers in this area which is why I selected it for the pond. I just want to make sure this low area is alright because I don't really want them to build up the soil any because I'm hoping this pond will help drain excess surface water from the rest of the property. The soil is mostly clayish.

1. Will this low area be alright? I'm hoping it will help drain water off the rest of the land during heavy rains

2. What is a keyway & dam? I kind of know what they are, is the dam just another hole they dig in the ground with an access way towards the top of the pond for overflow? My land is completely flat for the most part.

3. I know the cost will vary a lot depending on location. I understand that... what I'm reading the majority say between 10-20K an acre. Since I'm doing 1/10th of an acre... should I expect to pay anymore than 4-5K?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but this topic is new to me.

F
F
Hi Rick, Welcome to PONDBOSS. You will be very glad you came across this site BEFORE you did anything. Lots of folks find it because they are in trouble already and need help fixing something.

Having a place for the water to go MAY help your situation in drying up the area around it. The reason I say that, is if the pond is full and you get dumped on by a heavy rain, the pond may just overflow its banks and still flood the area around the pond. This of course is with a pond that has NO WHERE to drain because it's at the very lowest point around. Do you have a place to let the water drain out of the area if needed? They can install a drain to go hundreds of feet away, but you do need drop in elevation. Another scenario be that it normally "dries up" during periods, and the water level gets low enough to accept some of the run-off and be just what you need too. Use it for irrigation?

By the sounds of it, you will have a "dug" pond, and no need for a dam. The keyway is part of the dam.

Price can vary a lot. You just have to jump in there and start asking. Sometimes a small pond can become expensive when comparing the cost per square foot to a larger one. For a small pond, they still have to transport equipment( a cost), but then the job only takes a half a day, so the cost of transport is expensive compared to a bigger job. Also, small ponds can be hard to work around and in. Areas around them are often cramped for working space.

What part of Ohio are you in? Hang tight for better answers from the pros, and don't be afraid to ask all kinds of questions. Your embarking on a fun journey that may last a lifetime.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks Fish n Chips - I'm from Northeast Ohio in Rittman. I'm looking forward to learning a lot before I get someone out here soon so I can some really make sure it gets done well.

I don't really have any place for the water to drain, unless it's recommended to dig a second smaller hole with a channel between the two. I do have a spot around 50x50 behind the pond that's all brush... but it's the same level as the pond. Perhaps they can take a dozer to make that slightly lower than the pond area. This entire area is flat to the naked eye... you can only see the slight slope if your looking for it or after a hard rain when water pools on the surface.

Here's a drawing of what I'm going to be creating. So you can see all the mulch beds & trees. This area is roughly 250x250'.

Attached Images
Untitled-1 copy.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM