Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl
18,507 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,970
Posts558,046
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,548
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 455 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#369164 03/17/14 01:44 PM
OP Offline
I mentioned on a previous post my cousin up in Northern IL had a fairly significant fish kill due to a variety of factors...colder than normal winter with heavy snows, relatively shallow pond and lots of vegetation.

He sent me some pics of the damage:

He was estimating he pulled somewhere in the vicinity of 3-400 fish out of the pond that were either floating or frozen in the ice. No telling how many sank.

His big problem is that his pond is one in a chain that flows out of a federal wildlife preserve. Which is really neat, as he can catch darn near anything at all. But right now the pond is too shallow and he can't get 'permission' to dredge it out. Hence, fish kill.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Very unpleasant situation frown
I had a simlar feeling last spring when some of my fish died because they had chosen to spend winter in a ditch rather than deeper areas of the pond. I lost some fish but not that much.

What about aeration? If that pond isn't huge then it's an option. Sure, it needs some work and money but it's better than seeing the same every spring.

OP Offline
Believe it or not he already HAD aeration in this pond...just not enough apparently.

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
Believe it or not he already HAD aeration in this pond...just not enough apparently.

Or perhaps not done correctly?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That pond IS a catchall, isn't it? LMB, BG, NP, Common Carp and Bullheads is what I see in the pictures.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: dlowrance

Or perhaps not done correctly?

That's certainly possible...it was in place when he bought the property, running 24/7. It's a small system, one set of diffusers sitting at around 8 foot depth.

Dale

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
That pond IS a catchall, isn't it? LMB, BG, NP, Common Carp and Bullheads is what I see in the pictures.

It really is...the BOW that feeds it is fairly large and varied. That's both cool and also frustrating, as there can be no such thing as management in this pond. His fish move in and out at will, and he's pretty much been told he can't do anything to prevent that.

Dale

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I've already heard of 4 fish kills in central il.. I'm glad i contacted Ted i haven't found a dead fish even though in the day i called him theyre were some piping at the surface..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
No more dead fish for me even though we had 5 weeks of snow covered ice!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RAH
No more dead fish for me even though we had 5 weeks of snow covered ice!

So you didn't' have a fishkill? That's awesome!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
I've already heard of 4 fish kills in central il.. I'm glad i contacted Ted i haven't found a dead fish even though in the day i called him theyre were some piping at the surface..

Awesome!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller

Awesome!

Maybe I got a little ahead of myself did a thorough walk around today..
5- 6-8+ lb bass very large fish
1- Prized BG

Still better than a few years ago when the whole pond was littered with huge bass, BG, 4 huge grass carp i didn't even know exisisted..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Not sure if I had a fish kill due to the very muddy water, but I am not seeing floating fish. I am not sure if they may be in the shallows just below the surface.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Rah,

I would think you would have some floating fish. Let's hope you're good!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I appreciate your concern and encouragement! I wonder if lower water temps reduced the O2 consumption under the ice, but who knows?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Absolutely lower water temps will reduce oxygen consumption! 3 mg/l could be lethal in 70 degree water but survivable in 39 F.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I was thinking that bacteria in sediment may have been using less O2 as well, so the O2 stayed higher. I'll know more about the fish survival when the water clears. I have a wetland that is deeper than originally planned, and it has fish from flooding. The water in it is clear and there are dead fish everywhere, but this is to be expected. It was not intended for fish. It was a hoot fishing a few years back though, when it was full of some nice warmouth.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
BGK....I'd call losing "4 huge Grass Carp", a blessing! Sorry to hear some of the other big ones didn't make it. Their demise could be due more to age than water conditions.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I took the whole loss as a blessing it's really what got me into pond management.. of course the grass carp kill was an added bonus.. I agree I think that age might of had something to do with it and possibly my water got real dirty there for awhile these fish have been dead for a long time..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 03/21/14 09:52 AM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
CB1 noted - ""Absolutely lower water temps will reduce oxygen consumption! 3 mg/l could be lethal in 70 degree water but survivable in 39 F.""

The colder the water is under the ice I think many species can survive in water with 1ppm dissolved oxygen due to very low metabolism in the cold water very little oxygen is needed. However we also have to consider the innate oxygen requirement of each species. Some species tolerate lower DO than others. YP, pike, and GSF are three examples of those that tolerate low DO. Trout and HSB do not tolerate real low DO, although the water temperature does affect the minimum that will cause stress and death.

One of the main features with this is the lack of knowledge about minimal DO requirements of fish species at low temps of 39F down 32F. It is biologically reasonable to me that a fish requires less DO at 33F versus 39F-40F. There is not a lot of literature about this for many of the pond dwelling species to my knowledge. As an extreme example, Yellow perch are known to move in to anoxic water to briefly feed on invertebrates in the sediments.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/22/14 09:56 AM. Reason: refinement

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
And lake trout have been known to hunker down on the bottom and wait out low D.O. in Lake Simcoe, Canada where their habitat is marginal.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
bjennings79, chris vice, GRACOMAN
Recent Posts
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by Brian from Texas - 04/29/24 10:58 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 04/29/24 09:41 PM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:18 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by esshup - 04/29/24 08:34 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 06:59 PM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:40 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13
Minnow identification
Minnow identification
by Mike Troyer, October 6
Sharing the Food