Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#366971 02/21/14 03:14 PM
OP Offline
After looking through the archives last year, I decided to try something ewest had posted from a presentation at the PB III conference.
Towards bottom of page

Instead of tying the trees to a post, I looped them around a t post covered by a piece of used oilfield drilling pipe. Because of my water level fluctuations, I wanted something that could rise and fall with the water until the trees ultimately sank. I did this last year, and it took approximately 3 months for the original Christmas trees to sink.

Today, I just boated out to the posts, and it took less than a minute to hang 7 more Christmas trees over the ones from last year.

Oil field pipe is cheap, but any galvanized post would do. I just made sure to have it extend 6" above full pool, so the trees couldn't slide off the top.

My CNBG were back feeding less than an hour after all the commotion.

t post cover by a feeder.

Close up of post and trees.

AL

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Nice Al!

and nice lake too!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Good job - looks great...

Just do it...
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

..........................................................................................
Today, I just boated out to the posts, and it took less than a minute to hang 7 more Christmas trees over the ones from last year.

Oil field pipe is cheap, but any galvanized post would do. I just made sure to have it extend 6" above full pool, so the trees couldn't slide off the top.

My CNBG were back feeding less than an hour after all the commotion.

t post cover by a feeder.

Close up of post and trees.

Now just a dang minute - what happens on George's Point stays on George's Point... grin

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
FIH, how many Tilapia are you going to stock and when? grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I know where I'm flycasting my foam popper - about 6" from those cedar piles. Big CNBG here I come!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

OP Offline
George, I think this year may be the year. wink

Originally Posted By: esshup
FIH, how many Tilapia are you going to stock and when? grin

That hurt. Actually, probably in 3 or 4 weeks. I got one of those inexpensive laser thermometers, and it's consistently only 2 degrees low of the actual water temp. It makes it easy to ride around the puddle and shoot the water temp, and I'm staying pretty close to 59 degrees. We'll see after the next big front comes through next week. I'm figuring 2 or 3 pounds should be plenty. laugh

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I know where I'm flycasting my foam popper - about 6" from those cedar piles. Big CNBG here I come!

TJ, the gate's always open.

Truthfully, doing the trees this way has been so much easier and cheaper than weighing them down. I'm working on a way to float them upright as they sink, but that's down the road a bit.

I have ton's of dead cedars from the ice storm, so I'll start adding more posts as things slow down a bit. All it takes is a 3/4" paddle bit and a spool of cheap rope to get them ready.

AL

So now you are openly attracting Beaver? grin

Those CNBG better have boxing gloves on!!

I agree, two maybe three pounds to be safe.... smile

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
S
S
As far as floating the tops of the trees it might be as simple as tying a couple of 2 liter Coke bottles with string to the tops.

Where I am diving they have temperature sensors places around the island on ropes tied to weights on the bottom. The sensors are at certain depth levels, then the rope extends up a ways from there. To float these sensors they do not use any high tech foam or plastic floats. Two 2 liter Coke bottles with the caps tight and string around the necks tied to the rope. They last a few years and as one of the bottles goes bad of the pair a diver replaces it.

I bet two or three Coke bottles tied to the top of the tree would be enough to maintain it upright. Two few and the tree would lie down. Too many and the bottles would float the tree in mid water till the but of the tree hit a shore line somewhere. But the bottles would be visable on the surface, which you probably would not want. Or maybe you would so you knew where the tree was to fish it.

Just an idea and cheap to try.

I supplied one of the Coke bottles one time as the divers that come around once a week came in the resort. I told them one of the bottles had failed and they thanked me and that they did not have one with them. I had an empty in my room, they took it, thanked me, and tied it on as a replacement when they took the sensor readings.

They last a lot longer than a person would imagine when covered with algae and deep enough so the sun does not deteriorate the plastic.

Last edited by snrub; 02/22/14 09:04 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
S
Here is a picture of the Coke float in use. They last longer than a person would imagine.

Sorry the picture is not too good. Shooting into the sun and the bottles are probably fifty foot away out in deep water.

Attached Images
004 Coke bottle float sm.jpg 005 sensors Bonaire sm.jpg

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I use metal conduit from Lowe's or Home Depot. You can buy 10 foot pieces for about $2. Easy to work with and cheap. Never had any problems and those Christmas tree piles are the best places in the lake to fish.

L
L
Would fishing improve if you took out approx 1/2 the branches of the trees first? It may not make much difference if it is a pile you are after, but for just a few trees, maybe thinner is better?

I have been noticing the Christmas trees that I have sunk have such dense branches and crud on them that there is no room left except for the smallest of fish. Darned wives have to pick out the trees that can squeeze on the most ornaments.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I like to leave them thick. The smallest branches will rot in a few years anyway. I like to have a lot of small areas for the smallest fish and minnows to survive for a little while before the bass eat them. I think it gives the little guys a chance to get a little bigger before they get eaten.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: highflyer
So now you are openly attracting Beaver?..

I dare them to come back. With esshup's most excellent help, I got almost a dozen in the last couple of years.

I like the trees thick also. I did let them dry out to lose some needles, but leave the trees as they are. I'll try them with a dead cedar tree mix next, and see how that does. So far so good with just the Christmas trees though.

AL

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Al nice work. I added this to the structure archive.

OP Offline
Thanks Eric. I'll be posting results from the habitation documents you sent me soon. I'm trying something a little different with that as well.

AL

Each year I sink trees for crappie cover. I drill a hole in the trunk to put pieces of rebar in. Then I put the trunk in a small bucket and fill it with concrete. They will sink on there own. A small float will keep them up right.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??