Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, PRCS, Dave Davidson1, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 767 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
OP Offline
R
OK, I've got a Husqvarna 460 Rancher, 20" bar, which is great, but now I'm looking for a LIGHT limbing saw. I'm leaning towards an Echo CS-271T. At a dry weight of only 6.6 lbs., its the lightest on the market today. Its a 26cc. Also considering the slightly larger Echo CS-310, a Stihl MS180C, and a cheap Poulan. Money isn't much of a consideration as much as a dependable, lightweight saw. Whats your favorite small limbing saw?

Last edited by roadwarriorsvt; 03/10/14 01:05 AM.
C
C
I have a husquvarna 445 with a 18inch bar bar when I climb its still light enough for me to manuaver around.

I have a Stihl MS 192 and it's been a workhorse. I got it with the 16" blade, and I rarely drag out the big saw anymore.

AL

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
For a smaller saw, it's hard to beat an Echo. If you want a saw that the pro's take to the treetops, check out the Stihl MS 192T like Al uses. Very nice.

Last edited by sprkplug; 03/10/14 06:24 AM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I am an Echo fan and you couldn't give me a new Stihl. The last Stihl I bought had the snap in caps for gas and oil. There was no way that they would stay in and there was also no way that Stihl would replace it. They got a pretty bad rep over that and deserved it.

Remember the story on nation wide TV a couple of years ago about the woman who was stealing Christmas lights? She was working a lot in our neighborhood and my Stihl came up missing from my garage. I didn't even report the theft because I was afraid that it might be recovered and returned to me. BTW, she was recently convicted and got a 70 year sentence due to continuing criminal activities.

I guess I have 3 or 4 of each and the Echo's have never let me down. I like a 12 inch chain and bar for climbing and cutting in trees.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
...BTW, she was recently convicted and got a 70 year sentence due to continuing criminal activities...

Dave, now you know we take our Christmas lights very seriously here in TX.

Actually, a few years ago I started by backing into power tool purchases. I find the best outdoor power repair shop I can, then purchase what they sell. I rarely need new parts, especially since a lot of carbs are replaced now instead of rebuilt, but I want to make sure the parts I do need are in stock.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
For a smaller saw, it's hard to beat an Echo. If you want a saw that the pro's take to the treetops, check out the Stihl MS 192T like Al uses. Very nice.

Ditto what he said. I have a smaller Echo and it's worked faithfully for 12 years. CS-370? It can wear a 16" bar, but it does much better with a 14". For limbing a 12" might be perfect. I've heard nothing but good things about those small Stihl 192 T saws, if you can get past those dang flippy caps. I hate 'em.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Oh yes, chainsaws, my absolute favorite power tool, as a result of working in the woods for 40+ years.
Are you planning to leave the ground, as in climb a tree or a ladder with your saw? If so, then a top handle saw with lanyard attachment ring is a good, safe way to go. You then can hook one end of the lanyard to your waist (belt or saddle) and be free of the saw for climbing or grabbing a limb for stability. We arborists clip the saw lanyard to our climbing saddle and can hang the saw on a hook on the saddle or even drop the saw in an emergency without it plummeting to the ground. (Bad move)
If you will do all your limbing from the ground, then a standard saw design will serve you better, as you have more reach and control of the tool.
That said, we prefer Stihl 020s and MS200Ts over the 019/190 series. The power of the 020/200 series is way above that of the 019. The prices are too. :-( We do not have experience with Echo saws, but some of our competitors run them with satisfactory results. I would buy an Echo, especially a very small top handle one.
I personally have on older Husky 335XPT and constantly am working on it. It does not have the reliability of the Stihls. However, the new Husky 540 climbing saw is their answer to the best Stihl top handle saws, and will probably take some market share. You're talking about well over $600 for the top Huskys and Stihls.
Sorry this has dragged on for so long. I try to start at least one chainsaw everyday of the week, just because I can. Ha! I am certainly a saw nut. My ice fishing auger is an old Husky with an oiler that no longer works.
Send me a PM; we can talk saws for days and days, weeks and weeks. I can tell you logging stories from my days as a timber faller in Oregon and Idaho.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
...... and my Stihl came up missing from my garage. I didn't even report the theft because I was afraid that it might be recovered and returned to me.

Now, that's funny. smile

Just do it...
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I'm now looking at the MS192T C-E. Our local Stihl dealership wants about $80 more that the going mainland rate. Ace Hardware is selling the Echo CS-271 for MSRP. Money isn't a huge factor, but not sure the Stihl is worth an additional $100. I don't "plan" on cutting above ground and for my non-commercial use, the Echo may be the choice for me, unless I can find free or low shipping for a Stihl.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ohne thing that I really, really like about my small Echo is the priming bulb. Push that 5-6 times, put it on choke, pull it once or twice (until it sputters), push choke off, hold throttle partially open and it always fires on the next pull. From 100° to -10°. I wish all my saws had that feature. Even the big Dolmar with the compression release.

I don't care what brand of saw it is, if it has those da*n flippy caps on it I wouldn't take it even if you paid me to. I dislike them that much. Wait 'till you think you have it tight and you pick up the saw. Then you feel your leg getting wet and cold. Look down and it's drenched in the gas/oil mix... mad

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
I know if I was to buy anything relating to chain saws or lawn equipment, I would run it by Tony aka sparkplug. He has sold me stuff that is hard to find and much cheaper then what I could buy it here even with the shipping. Give him a call, you will not be disappointed.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: roadwarriorsvt
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I'm now looking at the MS192T C-E. Our local Stihl dealership wants about $80 more that the going mainland rate. Ace Hardware is selling the Echo CS-271 for MSRP. Money isn't a huge factor, but not sure the Stihl is worth an additional $100. I don't "plan" on cutting above ground and for my non-commercial use, the Echo may be the choice for me, unless I can find free or low shipping for a Stihl.

For light occasional use, I wouldn't hesitate to get the Echo. If you were making your living with the saw, or cutting hours everyday with it, then that's another story and would justify stepping up.

Buy it from a dealer, not from a box store. The dealer will be there if you need them, while the box store will hand you a card with a phone number on it..... "Call these guys, they handle our warranty and repair work"

Skip the middleman and buy it from "these guys" in the first place. If the hardware store does their own work, that's good enough too. Service after the sale.

R
OP Offline
R
Much good advice here. Our Ace Hardware just started small engine repair. I'll check to see if they are an authorized Echo repair shop.

The Stihl 192T has 4 more cc's than the Echo CS-271T and only about 1/2 pound heavier. I found Stihl's new MS150 which is only 6.1 pounds but has a price tag of $490! The Echo is looking better at this point.

Again, I appreciate all the input.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Have a Stihl 180 something, and I really like it!

No corks or bottle stoppers on the oil and gas wink

L
L
I have an Echo limbing saw, it never fails to start and I can work for hours with it without my arms crapping out. I use it for tackling the brush and small sumac and trees that are too large for the brush hog. I have had it for 12 years, and have almost had to do nothing with it except replace the bar twice and the chain a few times. I have cut an amazing amount of stuff with it over the years!

I have a larger Stihl and a previous poster is correct, those gas/oil lids are difficult at best, and impossible with gloves. It is a beast in a small package though, starts easily, and rips through harder wood like maple and iron wood pretty quick without bogging.

G
G
If the saw is to be used for occasional tree trimming around the yard and electricity is available, I would suggest getting a corded 110 volt electric chainsaw. I bought an 8 amp 14" Remington electric chainsaw 24 years ago for about $35. and it still performs very well. There are many brands to choose from, ranging from 8 to 15 amp, with 14" to 18" bars, priced at $50. - $150. High performance, light weight, fewer parts, and you don't have to worry about the carburetor getting gummed up while it's not in use. Oh yeah, no friggin pull rope either.

It would be awesome if battery technology were improved, so as to allow for a viable cordless electric chainsaw. Not to mention, all other gas powered devices and vehicles, as well.

H
H
I went with the Stihl 192 and wouldn't change a thing so far. The cap can take a bit to get used to, but its not that big of a deal.

If you are just occasionally using it, I'd go for the best service dealer.

1 Acre Pond with SMB, YP, LMB, GSF, RES, FHM, GSH, Papershell Crayfish, Pike
5.5 Acre Pond with LMB, BG

My Build Thread
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Electric saws have their place, but right after a big storm when the power is out and you've got trees down is not it. Kinda' like windmill aeration...when you need it the most is the time it may not be available.

I've been told the Echo is a good middle of the road saw...I've got a buddy who runs a tree trimming service here locally and he told me for the money they're a great 'non-commercial use' saw. Which is all I do.

With that said I don't own one yet. I've got 2 Stihls for big tree work and an old 12" homelite for limbing/climbing...when that shoots craps I'll get the Echo and see how it holds up. Course I've had the Homelite for 15 years now and it starts every year, so not sure I'll be able to buy something with that sort of longevity today.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Homelite, McCulloch, and Poulan were solid American brands that used to mean something. Unfortunately, not so much anymore. I have my dad's old XL-12, and I get it out once in awhile just to relive "the good ole days".....

Then I shut it off, put it back in its case, and pick up one of my Stihl's and get the job done. wink

O
O
Chainsaws, yep I got one!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Homelite, McCulloch, and Poulan were solid American brands that used to mean something. Unfortunately, not so much anymore. I have my dad's old XL-12, and I get it out once in awhile just to relive "the good ole days".....

Then I shut it off, put it back in its case, and pick up one of my Stihl's and get the job done. wink

Wait a minute.....

What about this yeller one? (don't pay attention to the red one)

Sorry for the hijack, those ain't limbing saws (at least not for this boy!). wink grin

The yellow one was purchased one day after the Palm Sunday Tornados here in Indiana.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

S
S
I have a Shihl 180C with 16" bar that I find as I get older run it two to three times as much as the 310. If I'm cutting a lot of big stuff I get the 310 with the 20" bar out, but the rest of the time the lighter 180 does enough work to wear me out.

In years gone by have had Homelite 360, Huskvarna, Poulan & Poulan Pro models. Can only remember one that was a dud (rope always breaking and hard to start - not a good combination), and it was a cheapie Poulan, but had another cheapie Poulan later from WM and it was a pretty decent little saw. Gave it to grandson when I got the Shihl 180. Can't say I had a lot of trouble with any of them, except the one. Have always either sold wood or burned wood myself so put them all to a fair amount of use.

Had the two Sthils a few years now and been happy with them. Still technically have a Huskvarna and Poulan Pro (can't remember the models but something around 45cc's) but have handed them down for general farm cleanup use so someone else runs them now.

Have never owned an Echo but son had a John Deere two cylinder saw that was made by Echo and it was a good saw. So I would guess most of the brands make pretty good saws.

I did not know the flip caps on the Sthils were such a bad thing till I was informed of it here. Seem to work ok for me. Usually have to take one glove off to operate them though.

I prefer a 16" bar on a limbing saw (as opposed to a shorter one) just so I don't have to bend over as far. But I'm over six foot tall.

Last edited by snrub; 03/14/14 01:43 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
snrub, I have a 32" bar for that 7900 besides that 24" that is on it in the picture - you wouldn't have to bend over much at all!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images