Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,103
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dylanfrely, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689), 696 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hey, I can see our family farm and my nephew's farm in that photo.

I'm at a conference on the opposite side of WV from home -- a little north of Todd L's ponds. I was surprised at the amount of snow, and how cold it was, going over the mountains and passing just south of Sunil's pond.

I think we are going to see a lot of winter killed ponds, in this area, this season.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

I think we are going to see a lot of winter killed ponds, in this area, this season.

I don't think it will be just in your area.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I wonder what date that picture was taken? Lake Michigan still seems pretty ice free at in that picuture. See all the lake effect snow coming off of it?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
I wonder what date that picture was taken? Lake Michigan still seems pretty ice free at in that picuture. See all the lake effect snow coming off of it?

February 13th. Possibly more now.

I think there is more ice than you think. Even though it's lake effect snow it's probably getting it's moisture over the open water and falling out farther east. I think there is ice under those clouds.

http://www.wunderground.com/news/great-lakes-ice-cover-largest-century-20140207

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/01/14 12:00 AM.

L
L

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

This is pretty much inline with what all the local meteorologists are saying for Lake Michigan.

The image on the left is from February 19, 2014 when ice cover on Lake Michigan was rated at 60 percent. The image of the right is from February 22, 2014. Ice cover then was rated at 38 percent. (MODIS/SSEC)

The recent storm churned the waters of Lake Michigan and helped cut Lake Michigan's ice cover almost in half in the past three days.

Ice cover on Lake Michigan on February 19, 2014 was pegged at 60 percent. Then the powerful storm hit the Great Lakes. The storm brought warm temperatures ahead of the storm, and strong winds as the storm center passed through. The combination of these two factors took a lot of ice away from the surface of Lake Michigan.

The image above shows Lake Michigan on February 19, 2014 on the left, and February 22, 2014 on the right. You can see the dramatic difference in ice cover.

NASA’s Aqua satellite acquired this image on February 19, when ice covered 80.3 percent of the lakes. This false-color image uses a combination of shortwave infrared, near infrared, and red (MODIS bands 7-2-1) that helps distinguish ice from snow, water, and clouds. Ice is pale blue (thicker ice is brighter), open water is navy, snow is blue-green, and clouds are white or blue-green (depending on temperature and composition). Image via NASA.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JKB, that's pretty cool!

Cecil, this was in the article. "As a result, caves near the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore are now open to foot traffic, thanks to sufficiently thick ice on Lake Superior."

Around here they are telling people not to go on the ice that is on Lake Michigan because it's too dangerous.

I wonder what they look like today after the recent cold snap?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Around here they are telling people not to go on the ice that is on Lake Michigan because it's too dangerous.

If you have ever seen the piled up ice around the lakeshore, you would recognize that these chunks of ice are all fractures and randomly shoved together. There could be a snow covered hole or crevice that you can't see, step on it, then vanish, or be in jeopardy.

This is all formed by wave action breaking up the ice and pushing it toward shore.

I was at the barber shop (beauty salon to some), mid week, and they were all buzzing on how stupid people were by venturing out on the ice along the South Pier in GH and beyond. canyoncreek had a pic here of this insanity, I'll try find it.

This is it! Just a couple miles from me, but hear they are venturing further out.

Don't see anyone in the channel from the Grand River. It ain't frozen over a bit up stream.

I really don't know when this pic was taken, but it serves the purpose. I do know from a drive by a couple weeks ago, that the ice was quite jagged and protruding up by the Bill-Mar eatery a bit South of the South Pier. This is the South Pier in the pic.

Last edited by JKB; 03/01/14 10:59 AM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I want to get out there and set up some tip ups for big brown trout! whistle

I'll have to borrow Scott's auger though or get Cody to make the holes with a spud as my blades are dull. grin

If the ice breaks up I can always troll on my ice boat!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/01/14 10:54 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Cody would be spudding for a while! Dwight ain't doing an extension. Some of this stuff is pretty thick, but jagged chunks piled up.

Browns will be, at the right time, directly in the rocks off the south side of the pier, toward the LH. Never caught one, but tried a couple times. They do come in, but are much smarter than me! At least for the couple times I've tried. Been a number of years tho.

The place (South Pier), and the beach, is a Zoo during the season with the State Park, GH Town and all connected into an integrated vacation package your family will cherish forever wink

The Judicial System, also sucks in a few bucks as well for violating tourists wink

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Lake Superior looks like it has waterfalls on the North Rim.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
JKB, that's pretty cool!

With all the Cheese they make in Wisconsin, it's keeping LM open laugh

Seriously tho, Spring will probably be pushed back a bit from the current situation.

I hope it don't melt too quick, for sake of others. That could really suck for some!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I want to get out there and set up some tip ups for big brown trout! whistle

I don't know how long this article will be available, but -- watch out for what you get on the end of your tip-up line!
Record Catch Could Land Angler In Hot Water
All this international fuss for a little 52 inch trout caught on a tip-up! Sheesh!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sounds like the guy screwed up to me.

Minnesota's law enforcement is known as the gestapo by fish farmers I know up there. They are presently citing anglers for not removing their ice houses in southern Minnesota by the deadline of March 1st. Doesn't matter if they can't get to them due to deep snow and they are frozen into the ice due to a brief thaw. The statement was an extension can't be grants because they can't change the law on the books. That's Bull****.

There's a substantial fine and the ice houses can be destroyed.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/02/14 09:16 AM.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
This weather is really getting to me this winter. They're calling for a foot of snow and highs of 24 degrees here tomorrow in northern VA. Our normal high for this time of year is 46.

Last edited by esshup; 03/02/14 11:03 PM. Reason: prevented a deletion
L
L
As of today (according to my link above) it has hit 90.5%. Wow. After a still cold night tonight, Lake Ontario may finally close up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
This weather is really getting to me this winter. They're calling for a foot of snow and highs of 24 degrees here tomorrow in northern VA. Our normal high for this time of year is 46.

This is for all who feel like Travis does:

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003

This is for all who feel like Travis does:

I would not be wearing mittens! wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!