Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,977
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (Theo Gallus, Augie, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, jmartin, Pat Williamson), 1,216 guests, and 377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LB63 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Got some floating mats of FA around the bank about 2-3 feet out. Tried raking them out but they fall apart when I do this. Got some Cutrine Plus to spray. What is the correct mixture amount to spot spray using a 2 gallon sprayer?

2 Ac. Pond, CNBG, RES, FHM, F1's
O
O
i was told to mix it 1 part Cutrine to 9 parts water...So that being said my sprayer is 2.5 gallons sprayer I dump in 1 short quart of Cutrine to 9 quarts of water then add a couple of ounces of cygnet surfactant..

Has work very well and that will take care of my half acre shore line with a little left over...

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
When I use the liquid, I use the 9/1 ratio as ODL states.

BTW... I use a long-handled dip net to remove the FA. The handle is about 6 ft long and the mesh about 1/4 inch. You can get them at Walmart for less than $10.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
L
LB63 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the replies! good idea on the net. I will look for one asap.

L
LB63 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Ok, been told I didn't need to use a surfactant? Do I need to?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
No

Correct, but it will work better if you do use one. Cutrine Plus doesn't have one in the mixture, but Cutrine Ultra does.

Cutrine Ultra cannot be shipped via UPS but Cutrine Plus, with a separate bottle of surfactant can be shipped. I've never been able to figure out that logic.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cutrine Ultra cannot be shipped via UPS but Cutrine Plus, with a separate bottle of surfactant can be shipped. I've never been able to figure out that logic.
It's based on the container-size (evidently, size does matter). A dozen 1-gal of CUTRINE PLUS may be shipped by UPS, but not a single 2.5-gal jug because it is considered "hazardous". Bureaucrat logic.
btw- Cutrine Ultra isn't available in 1-gal containers

S
S
Can I spray Cutrine Plus on top of matted filamentous algae? I have a big problem with about 10 percent of a 6 acre pond covered around the shore. It moves around with the wind so spot treating is what I want to do.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes that will work but may not be the mot efficient method given the way FA grows (life cycle). Copper products are contact herbicides.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Put a boat in there with a motor that is large enough so you can make a good wake. Go around the pond a few times and really get the algae moving to break it up. It'll sink to the bottom.

(Bill Cody tole me to do that with my pond, and it works.)

Last edited by esshup; 08/25/13 06:54 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
Put a boat in there with a motor that is large enough so you can make a good wake. Go around the pond a few times and really get the algae moving to break it up. It'll sink to the bottom.

(Bill Cody told me to do that with my pond, and it works.)

Bill Cody knows his stuff! cool

When he mentioned that at your gig, it became a no brainer issue!

They should do that with the pond's out back.

Lunker
Lunker
The "sinking algae tactic" simply involves dislodging the trapped gas-bubbles that otherwise provide buoyancy. Other factors remaining unchanged, the sunken algae will pop back to the surface in short order (1-3 days). However, treating with an algaecide during or immediately after the process of sinking the floating mats oftens yields very good results - though usually temporary, ie. until the released nutrients are recycled.

S
S
I think I am going to invest some hours and muscle power to mechanically rake up most of the mats and remove the nutrients trapped in the mats by carting them off after they dry. Do you think applying Cutrine Plus after a section has been cleared is ok? If the wind shifts and I clean the same section again then I suppose I wouldn't reapply the CUtrine Plus since the first application should still be viable for the area ?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Shelby County
Can I spray Cutrine Plus on top of matted filamentous algae? I have a big problem with about 10 percent of a 6 acre pond covered around the shore. It moves around with the wind so spot treating is what I want to do.

Shelby County, I see you that you are a new PB member so welcome to you from a old time neighbor that grew up in Nacogdoches.

I wouldn't get too excited about shoreline F.A. this time of the year and begin researching the archives on using tilapia next year for control. It's a magic bullet as far as I am concerned, going on ~ten years successful usage.
BoatCycle in Henderson is a tilapia supplier as well as Overton Fisheries in Buffalo.

Some advice given is for northern ponds and it is wise to check the source due to sometimes not practical for Texas ponds.

I have found that biological control of unwanted aquatic vegetation works for me.
Good luck!
George Glazener

Big D, I have had tilapia overwinter in my 6acre pond for two years now. I live in Shelby County just north of San Augustine. Last January I observed a Bald Eagle hunting them as they loitered on the surface on a bright sunny day. They were all adults about 1to 2 pounds. I have never seen any juvenile tilapia in the winter or spring and I believe that the bass get them as they become torpid in the cold water.

Shelby, just saw this post - interested in your tilapia experience in large ponds.
G/

Last edited by george1; 08/25/13 05:25 PM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

S
S
Hi George, I have a3 year old pond that is 6 acres and constructed between two large hills.
The pool depth is 25 to 30 feet at the dam and has a very deep center line more than half the length. I estimate the average depth is more than 10 feet. I put 20 pounds of tilapia in there two years ago in May. They have survived two winters now and are close to 2 pounds each now. I can observe large schools when cold months have bright sunny days because they come up to the surface to bask and loiter in the sun. It is a sight to see 50 to 100 large fish on the surface in one school. Sometimes I can run my well water into the colder lake water for a few hours and they will come up where the pipe discharges the warmer well water. I know the depth is what allows them to survive. I never see any juvenile tilapia in the colder months. I think the bass get them when the get sluggish. I still have a FA problem though.

1.2 acre and 6.0 acre with LMB, CNBG, REB, CC. Also tilapia in both ponds.

Last edited by Shelby County; 08/25/13 09:06 PM.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I put 20 pounds of tilapia in there two years ago in May. They have survived two winters now and are close to 2 pounds each now.

Wow that's the first I've heard of Tilapia
surviving the Texas winter...multiple winters in fact!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

S
S
Hi ZEP, I am sure it is the depth of my pond. I have a large pool of deep water at the dam end.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hi ZEP, I am sure it is the depth of my pond. I have a large pool of deep water at the dam end.
Shelby, I'm with Zep - first time I have ever heard of tilapia survive our Texas winters except for a couple of cases that had deep well and/or dependable springs.
Maybe your well water is the answer and knowing your country, springs are prevalent.
Overton grows out and carries over his tilapia each winter on well water.

Are you saying your tilapia do not control your FA?
Interesting - your predator fish may be eating you baby tilapia before you can get adequate numbers to control FA?

Shelby, my experieced based opinion is that 20lbs of tilapia for 6 acre pond is way too light for FA control.
My stocking norm is about 10-15lbs/acre, more or less depending on problem.

G/

Last edited by george1; 08/26/13 06:15 AM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

S
S
George, I suspect that you are right about the bass eating all of the tilapia fry. I have seen some young tilapia in warmer months but not nearly as many as I was seeming when I stocked the bass fingerlings. Those bass are 14/15 inches now and they have spawned twice so I may be getting overstocked with bass. I do see a lot of fingerling and one year old bass. I am going to resort to chemical and mechanical control of the FA this fall and maybe get ahead of it next spring. Thanks for your comments.

S
S
We actually have small one inch tilapila in our one acre pond still. We see them in a ball swimming in he shallow. Over wintered. No big one though.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 02:46 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM