Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,071
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Bob Lusk, LeighAnn, Shorthose, catscratch, Justin W, Requa, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing), 775 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stbar Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
On Saturday afternoon as I drove up to a fisheries consult in Jonesboro my phone rings. On the other end was a frantic Comanche County Water employee. He quickly informed me that the water meter on my property is running at an extremely high rate and that they needed to turn off the water to my property. I hung up and told Casey about it. We went back and forth with a thousand possibilities of where we could have such an enormous water leak. We both hoped for it to be outside and an easy repair.

After the consult we drove straight home to investigate. We were both glued to our respective windows as we pulled onto the property and drove past the pond, the garden, and the horse pen, but there was no water to be found. We both new at that point it was in the house or the detached laundry building. Thankfully it was not in the house, but instead in the laundry building. I knew that this was the best result we could have hoped for but I thought of all my things which were housed in this building.

In the winter of 2005 I was introduced to Pond Boss Magazine at the fish farm I worked for during college. Since that time I have collected every single issue Pond Boss has ever printed. I have a complete set from issue 1 all the way to last months. Most have bookmarks and notes throughout them for articles I find interesting or useful to clients. My collection lives on a book shelf, a book shelf located in that very flooded laundry building. Now, in the house I have an office where you would expect 10 years worth of fisheries books, magazines, and paperwork to live but instead my office has scrap book material, a sewing machine, and anything else Casey desires to keep close. I, like many of us try to keep a happy home so my stuff goes where its told.

As I cleaned out this building Saturday night and Sunday I found that about 3/4 of the magazines were completely ruined. The first 4 years were safe and for some reason every issue with Bruce Condello's face on it was completely dry even when the next issue was soaked to the core. As I went through every issue I thought how fitting an end to my Pond Boss collection this was. I mean a fisheries magazine ruined by fire would not be ironic but to be flooded and now completely absorbed in water that just felt a little poetic.

Attached Images
Photo Feb 09, 1 43 05 PM.jpg

Happy Fishing!!
O
O
Sorry to hear about your collection...

I also live in a house of where my stuff is told...I could keep every magazine I have ever read.. My wife get mad when someone ask about something and I go to the attic/garage and pull out a magazine with a specific article on the subject.. Many have not be touched by human hands since BA... (Before Anissa)

On another note, we are remodeling our office at work and I have to clean my desk and filing cabinet... I think I am going to cry!!!

L
L
If those were Playboys and you were a teenager, I am sure those magazines would be restored to pristine shape with a hairdryer and a great deal of effort ;-).

Sorry about your loss, but you may be able to get them dried out enough to rescue.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Big loss. Lol! Bruce must repel water like a duck.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I think Bruce is waterproof. Even his image smile

Water has been the root cause of almost everything that has been ruined or destroyed in my life.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
WOW, stbar!!

So sad to hear your story.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's terrible. I think it's time to call the PB office and see if they have all the water damaged back issues. Get 'em quick, and transfer all your notes to the new ones before the pages dry and stick together in the old ones.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
I'm sure there is an archives of all the old issues that exist into a digital library? Would it be possible to begin a project to scan the old issues and preserve them for future access even if it is for a nominal download fee? I'm sure many would be happy to purchase digital archived versions as people stumble across this site all the time and would love to read the old issues. An index or searchable file collection would be fabulous (at least search by title?)

Perhaps this is set up already and I'm not aware of how to access it? If all the old issues aren't immediately available I'm sure folks could each scan the issues they have and combine into a file sharing site?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
"If all the old issues aren't immediately available I'm sure folks could each scan the issues they have and combine into a file sharing site?"

Copyright on the material. It's called Respect wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nope, no digital archives of the old issues that I know of. I believe the old issues weren't done digitally like the newest ones.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Also, many of the older back issues are black and white reprints.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I had almost all of them. Last year I donated mine to SDSU.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
stbar, you're a hoarder grin grin grin . JK stbar, I bring in way more stuff than I get rid of (but I sneak some of her junk in the trash when she's not looking) wink laugh laugh.

stbar, sorry you lost your mags. I've had it both ways in the past. Water damage to some and I was devastated, and others that sat in my garage for years and I wondered why I ever kept them all.

AL

J
J
Sorry about your Pond Boss magazine loss. I, too, have saved all the magazines since I started subscribing in 2005. They're not all in one place as yours were. I have them both at my home in Frisco and my pond property in Sulphur Springs. However, give me a little time to go through them and copy the articles I want to save and you can have the hard copies. You're in the lake/pond management business and need them!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Some of you guys need to get some backbone!!

Letting the Woman tell you what to do with your stuff!!!

Next, she'll be sending you shopping for woman's essentials.....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

O
O
I was told that my man card was suspended until my boys are old enough to take care of themselves...

C
C
I would not propose doing anything to hurt the work/intellectual property of those who contributed to old issues but mainly to provide a way for many to benefit. If there was a need to continue to support future authors/issues then a small fee for access to old issues could work well.

I'm not sure there is lack of respect involved, JKB, I would say this situation would not be much different than going to the library to get access to old issues of any other periodical or other members offering to share an old copy with someone else.

The old issues were not digital at time of release but could be scanned for easier cataloging, and indexing.

Am I the only one who wished he had been a member since the beginning so i could have benefited from all the helful info in all of these magazines?

It would be SO helpful to be able to search the old articles by title for articles on 'standard weight charts' or 'pond dam leaks' or 'minnow ID' etc.

Donating old issues to a university library is a great idea!

Whatever works best...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails