Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,103
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Dylanfrely, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler, Bing, Fishingadventure, Angler8689), 696 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
With the winter we are having, your talking whining about temps in the 20's? That's almost T-shirt weather now!!!! wink grin

My neighbor put up a new mailbox this Fall. Nice new treated 4x4 post, brand new mailbox. That all changed yesterday morning. I don't know what the snow plow driver was thinking, but at least 80% of all the mailboxes on my street were wiped out with one pass of the snow plow.

His mailbox is that black blob on the right. The 2 blue boxes are for the local newspaper and they are on a (now) twisted "T" post. That funny looking thing to the left is what's left of my plastic mailbox.

I talked to the mail lady and she said "Just pile up the snow a bit more and stick what's left of your mailbox on the snow pile."

That was a bit too redneck for me, so here's what my mailbox will look like until after the spring thaw... It IS screwed on to it so it won't blow away. laugh

Looks like they didn't have the Laser on the wing plow aligned properly:

This gal has had better days:

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
We really shouldn't complain:

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Looks sorta familar.... grin

When I drove to the back of a clients property on Thursday I had to have the wipers on. Snow was coming over the hood of the Jetta and melting on the windshield. Peloquin torque sensing differential and Bridgstone Blizzaks work! The driveway wasn't that long, only about 1500 feet.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: lassig

Lassig, it was -8 here this morning too, -13 about 30 miles away. Another storm is supposed to come in tonight and stay through most of the weekend, so I think goose hunting is out. Can't get to the "X", it's a good mile off of any roads and the snow is too deep at the farm. Maybe if we had a couple of snowmobiles...... There's gotta be 1,000+ greater canada geese using it.

Talked to a buddy that goes snowmobiling up near where we deer hunt. There's 4' of snow on the ground everywhere. Here, in the CRP fields and the woods, we have about 3' of snow. The bean and corn fields have anywhere from 10" to patchy bare ground due to the snow blowing it away. It would be hard sledding here if you don't stay on the trails and didn't know the area. There are 10' deep x 20' wide ditches that are completely filled with snow. You wouldn't even know they are there.

Let me run back to the farm and get the rhino and the goose trailer. We could put a dent in the flock.

Mark, we've got until Feb 15th. Come on over! 5 per day limit. You might want to bring snowshoes or a couple of snowmobiles too. I doubt the rhino will get more than one vehicle length off the road unless it's got tracks on all 4 corners......

Would love to but I being sent back to Jersey for a couple of days next week. Glad the snows aren't back at the farm yet. Really want to get on them hard this year. My intel says they are about 150 to 200 miles south of the farm. Need a couple of warm days to melt the snow from last week (only snow we have on the ground) and open up some water and we will be thick with them in the Illinois river bottoms.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Made it down to the property today and got to check out the first snow we have ever seen around the pond.

Pond Snow - Feb 8, 2014

Cabin Snow - Feb 8, 2014

Fishing has never been about the fish....

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Beautiful place Mark!
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Very Nice Mark, very nice indeed!!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
D
D
Very nice place you have there. Well done indeed!

So just thinking here. If I see -22c in the winter and +30c in the summer how hot is it really in the summer in Texas? I mean if you guys feel that you could not be able to handle the the cold I really think I would die in that heat.

When we golf in Florida in March its about +22 to +25c and I can sweat out two shirts in a day. If it gets to +40c here the world stops +45c I would die.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Really nice place, but I wish we only had your snow.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Very nice place you have there. Well done indeed!

So just thinking here. If I see -22c in the winter and +30c in the summer how hot is it really in the summer in Texas? I mean if you guys feel that you could not be able to handle the the cold I really think I would die in that heat.

When we golf in Florida in March its about +22 to +25c and I can sweat out two shirts in a day. If it gets to +40c here the world stops +45c I would die.

Cheers Don.

I've been to NC for an extended stay for several months with temps over 100F+ on a daily basis. Call it yucky, I did, but the A/C worked well and was a prize to be cherished wink

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
I mean if you guys feel that you could not be able to handle the the cold I really think I would die in that heat

Don to be honest I really don't like either extreme.
Personally I see cold as "painful" & heat as "uncomfortable".
But hey that's just me.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
This stuff is so Cool!

Brute force that cut's it like soft butter!

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Donno +38°C to +43°C is possible down there. Heck, we had +36 to +38°C here during the summer 2 years ago. Start work outside as soon as you could see to work, and stop by 11:30 a.m. Then go in and enjoy the A/C.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Don, the heat can be brutal at 107+. It seems a lot worse than when I was younger but I figure that's to be expected at my age(71). I get started at daybreak and by about 2:00 I'm pretty well through working outdoors for the day. Everybody has central AC. Deaths do sometimes occur from the heat but that is pretty noteworthy.

About 25 years ago I got heat prostration which is the step before heat stroke. It messed up my internal thermostat for several years. During that time I couldn't handle even 100 degree temps. But, it was my own damn fault. I was doing some concrete work and substituted beer for water. When I realized what was happening, I laid down in a creek that lowered my body temp but I was too late to rehydrate. I've come close to it happening again when I've figured that I just have to complete a project.

You know you're in trouble when you quit sweating and don't need to pee. At that point, you had better get to the AC. However, I have to sit outdoors for about 15 minutes in the shade or the indoor temps of 75 make me shiver. My wife says that I should have taken some common sense courses in College and acknowledge my age.

OTOH, last weeks temps in the mid teens with 25 to 30 mph winds were just as brutal to me. And, with my background of hunting the Rockies, I have the clothes to handle it. I just can't see any point in being outdoors when the temps drop like that. When I pics on TV of the big storms that have been hitting the Northern areas, I have to wonder why those areas are even populated.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Dave, I've had to learn handle to handle the heat also. I try to be in the shade by lunch, then back out later in the afternoon. The thing I hate about summer here is changing shirts 3 times a day if I'm soaking wet.

We used to take golf trips to Florida every summer, and the humidity is what got me there. The coastal areas from TX to Fl get and stay really humid. It's not unusual to be dripping sweat at 7:30 in the morning.

AL

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I'm with Dave, I can handle heat much better than cold - althought I have expereinced more cold weather than anyone on this forum because i have lived longer and been exposed to more of it.
My first winter spent in cold weather was in Smokey Hill Army Air Base near Salina Kansas the winter of 1943 - talk about cold in tar paper covered board and batten barracks - snow would pile up inside barracks in cracks of doors and windows - one soldier always on duty digging coal from snow covered pile to fire pot bellied stove.
Nearly froze to death!

Colder than high Canadian Arctic but dressed for that!
Spent one winter December/January in Julesberg Colorado on O&G exoloration crew - new baby - diaper dropped on floor would freeze solid in few minutes.

Many winter trips to Calgary and few to Anchorage.

I can handle 100 degree temps much better than cold - I do outside work early and late but spoiled with AC - I grew up without - we had sleeping porches.

My DNA is pioneer stock - my ancestors moved from north to south, we left the weak and timid behind! laugh
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

OTOH, last weeks temps in the mid teens with 25 to 30 mph winds were just as brutal to me. And, with my background of hunting the Rockies, I have the clothes to handle it. I just can't see any point in being outdoors when the temps drop like that. When I pics on TV of the big storms that have been hitting the Northern areas, I have to wonder why those areas are even populated.

Dave,

We don't like that up here either. The wind makes a big difference when it's below freezing let alone in tbe teens or less.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/09/14 08:56 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
One thing that I learned a long time ago is to never buy a shirt that isn't 100% cotton. Without air movement, the (my) body odor can get pretty rank.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
One thing that I learned a long time ago is to never buy a shirt that isn't 100% cotton. Without air movement, the (my) body odor can get pretty rank.

I once developed a rash all over my body after snow blowing the church walkways and working up a sweat.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
B
It's -32 in Fairbanks this morning, finally back to normal.

I Subscribe
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Originally Posted By: Bearbait1
It's -32 in Fairbanks this morning, finally back to normal.

Yeah I hear the jet stream is changing and actually bringing rain and snow farther south to the Sierra's in drought parched California too.

We could actually get some rain here on Thursday. As long as it's not the freezing kind I'm O.K. with it.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around lassig's post about a frozen septic discharge pipe. As Mr. Spock said, "That just doesn't compute.".

My wife would burn the house down and head further South.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bearbait and Dono, what type of thermals do you guys use?

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dave:

I just spent all day yesterday standing in a 4' deep hole dug in snow, standing on 18" or so of snow and ice. Temps were around +8°F in the morning, and got to a high of the mid teens in the afternoon. Wind was going about 12 mph in the afternoon. I was outside from 6:30 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.

Here's what I had on.

1)Thick wool socks
2)Under Armour long underwear bottoms and tops. It's a few years old, now it probably would be called their base layer 2.5. Socks on first, top goes on next, bottoms go on over socks, and top is tucked in.
3) Turtle necked long sleeve fleece shirt
4) Fleece pants
5) Wolverine 8" tall hunting boots. Airbob soles, 400g Thinsulate, GoreTex lined.
6) Thick winter GoreTex/Thinsulate bibs. Side zipper on the legs from ankle to thigh - makes putting them on easy.
7) Thick winter coat. GoreTex/Thinsulate. I removed the hood.
8) Thinsulate insulated knit cap
9) Hanes XXXXL white sweat pants (needed for snow camo)
10) Hanes XXXXL white zip up hoodie (needed for snow camo)
11) VERY thin gloves so I could feel the gun.
12) Muff type handwarmer with 18 hr chemical heater pack
13) Heavy GoreTex/Thinsulate winter gloves to put out and pick up the decoys so my thin gloves didn't get wet. Plus they wouldn't keep my hands warm in those temps.

Hood on the Hanes top plus the knit cap was enought to keep my head warm as long as I had my back to the wind.

Bibs and jacket were purchased from Dicks Sporting Goods probably in Fall of 1998 or 1999. Back then I think the pair was $250 or so. But, cheap when considering how many days of use I have gotten out of them over the years. I'll wear them when ice fishing too.

Taking a wiz in the field takes some work, but the less liquid you hold in, the warmer you are. wink grin

We had to snowmobile to where were were hunting, probably 24" of snow on the ground, and one of the younger guys parked the sled about 1/4 mile away and walked back. We were about 1/2 mile from the nearest road. So, if you had to go, there really wasn't an option of "Hey, I gotta run to the bathroom, I'll be back in a minute or two."

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Scott,
Yesterday I was wearing jeans and a blue t-shirt. grin

The temps in the pond were 42.3 to 43.7 throughout the pond. The O2 readings were 7.5 - 8.7 PPM.

Also, there are several cormorants that now understand I am not kidding. grin

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!