Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,021
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
13 members (jludwig, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, canyoncreek, Pat Williamson, Boondoggle, Jason D, STG, phinfan, catscratch, Sunil, JoshMI, gautprod), 1,210 guests, and 199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thursday both diffusers had open holes. Last night it was -8°F and relatively calm. Today there was clear ice where the windmill diffuser is, and I could see a very large air bubble under the ice at 11:00 a.m. It still hadn't "popped" by 2:30 p.m. We are having steady 20 mph winds now, with gusts to 40. Temps are in the upper teens. I'll see tomorrow if it opened up.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Thursday both diffusers had open holes. Last night it was -8°F and relatively calm. Today there was clear ice where the windmill diffuser is, and I could see a very large air bubble under the ice at 11:00 a.m. It still hadn't "popped" by 2:30 p.m. We are having steady 20 mph winds now, with gusts to 40. Temps are in the upper teens. I'll see tomorrow if it opened up.

Scott how about shooting a hole into your bubble? The shotgun pellets or bullet shouldn't penetrate far enough into the water to do any damage to the diffuser.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/25/14 07:57 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The thought crossed my mind but I didn't want to waste an expensive self defense bullet on the test (9mm Hornady Critical Duty). wink The angle that I'd be shooting from also would put the bullet away from the diffuser. In all honesty, I doubt that a diffuser that was covered with more than 12" of water would get damaged by anything other than ball or FMJ ammo.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The thought crossed my mind but I didn't want to waste an expensive self defense bullet on the test (9mm Hornady Critical Duty). wink The angle that I'd be shooting from also would put the bullet away from the diffuser. In all honesty, I doubt that a diffuser that was covered with more than 12" of water would get damaged by anything other than ball or FMJ ammo.

No shotgun?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

No shotgun?

No, I usually don't carry a shotgun when visiting clients places, but either the 9mm or .45 goes along for the ride. Concealed carry means that you aren't supposed to see it. wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

OP Offline
Has anyone had experiences running one electric pump to multiple ponds?

Forced to work born to Fish
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't, but here's something to consider:

If you don't have both ponds full of water now, you will have to bleed off excess air. That will result in higher energy costs until you get the 2nd pond completed vs. running a smaller compressor at each pond. Also, you have all your eggs in one basket so to speak. If the compressor were to fail, both ponds would be affected.

You will definately have to have a manifold near the compressor to direct air to each pond, then another manifold at each pond to direct air to the different diffusers in each pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Running one larger compressor is much more energy efficient than multiple smaller ones. The smaller the motor, the more it eats and is much, much less energy efficient.

The answer to "add a pond at a later date" with an initially larger compressor that is on line voltage is fairly complex if energy efficiency is the goal.

The entire system, including future expansion, needs to be laid out up front and careful consideration is paid to all of the components, especially the compressor and motor.

It seems unlikely that you will be able to come up with a rig on line voltage that will satisfy both conditions with only a sweet spot window of 20%. (motor load efficiency window)

I mentioned this was fairly complex if energy efficiency is involved.

Personally, I would not go this rout with a pump on line voltage, nor would I ever consider multiple smaller pumps.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Given the effeciency of the motors used in today's aeration systems, would one 3/4 hp compressor be less expensive to run than two 1/3 hp compressors? (if the pond depth and number of turns warranted that sized compressor)

If one pond is completed now, and the 2nd pond won't be completed for a year, I don't know if all the air from the larger compressor would be needed, so the excess would be bled off. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to run the numbers on cost of operating. If the 2nd pond wasn't going to be built for another year, then that's one year of operating expense that wouldn't be needed if two compressors were used. Just saying......... wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
F
How about a simple formula of: Buy a unit that does one pond. When the second pond is built consider a larger one that does two. Then, use the first unit on the third pond that is needed to make use of that pump. After all, don't we just want excuses to keep building ponds. Of course this all grows exponentially. When you get the third pond, get a compressor that does all three ponds. Then build three more ponds, one for the first compressor you bought and then two more ponds for that extra compressor you have. Now we are up to six ponds. I have to stop there, JKB will need to help me with more math than that.

All kidding aside, it might be better to just buy what you need. That second pond may take longer to get to than expected, which then adds to un-needed costs from overbuying. I just wish that I was in a planning stage for aeration myself. I'm jealous.

OP Offline
I may just see what's in the pocket book to dig two ponds to start with along with a few bait holes. Then when it comes to three + ponds which is 2 years away. Decide then what to do on the adding or replacing compressors.

Forced to work born to Fish
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Given the effeciency of the motors used in today's aeration systems, would one 3/4 hp compressor be less expensive to run than two 1/3 hp compressors? (if the pond depth and number of turns warranted that sized compressor)

If one pond is completed now, and the 2nd pond won't be completed for a year, I don't know if all the air from the larger compressor would be needed, so the excess would be bled off. I suppose the only way to know for sure is to run the numbers on cost of operating. If the 2nd pond wasn't going to be built for another year, then that's one year of operating expense that wouldn't be needed if two compressors were used. Just saying......... wink

I have no further comment on this subject.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:57 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:52 AM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 11:46 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Jason D - 04/29/24 09:10 AM
Concrete pond construction