Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#364047 01/25/14 07:45 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Let us know what's going on where you live whether it be well up into Canada, Louisiana, or Florida.

We just had another Alberta clipper and cold front go through. Only a two to three inches of fresh snow (hard to tell with the high winds) but with snow already on the ground accompanied by by sustained winds close 30 mph and gusts to 40 mph made the drifting and whiteouts substantial. All back roads are blocked. Someone abandoned a car at the end of my driveway. At least they left a note and number to call. LOL

Supposed to get 2 to 4 more inches starting tonight with another Alberta Clipper and another round of the "Polar Votex." I'm thinking the wife, that is teacher, will get some more time off from school next week.

Oh and there was an accident on the highway in front of the house yesterday too due to a whiteout from a 300 acre open farm field across from the highway. Sat 300 yards from the house in my car and waited an hour and half to get back to the house. Had to make an emergency run for supplies from Ace to get a fish mount done for a customer. Wished I didn't have to!

Will get the snowblower out if the wind dies down more!

Pictures coming when it's light out!

Next!

The driveway this morning after walking on it:

The trout pond hole presently (diffuser in shallow water) due to all the snow that was blowing into it after being about 4 feet by 4 feet.

The car at the end of the driveway. A note was left with a name and phone number. Phone always busy. (Probably off the hook).

Sorry no more pics. Photobucket is taking a dump again. Something about flash drive keeps crashing.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/25/14 10:07 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Its been so cold and dry in Kansas that the propane suppliers are rationing propane, firewood is hard to find and the static electricity is ridicules.

Lunker
Lunker
It's drier than a popcorn fart in Nebraska with a lot of wind and hardly any snow, the cracks in the ground are getting big. If this weather pattern persists 2014 could be worse than the 2012 drought we had here.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OK Cecil, it's light out!

Blowing and drifting here too. Snow packed so hard that Kate can walk on top of it. You might want to check your thermometer. Mine is showing 26°F. Supposed to be a high of -2°F on Tuesday.

People are complaining, but to me, this is what winters were like when I was a kid.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
MSC Offline
M
Well down here south of the Mason Dixon line in southern Maryland, its freezing. 22 deg right now and windy. Its been going down into the teens each night, the lowest has been 5 degrees. And it stays below freezing all day. We have about 4" of snow on the ground.

I really feel sorry for you Eskimos up North.

Free expert fishing tips. Just call BR-549.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jims place
Its been so cold and dry in Kansas that the propane suppliers are rationing propane, firewood is hard to find and the static electricity is ridicules.

Shortage? Really? With all the gas that is being drilled? Sure that's not an excuse to raise the price? Sounds fishy to me.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/25/14 10:00 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup

???

Blowing and drifting here too. Snow packed so hard that Kate can walk on top of it.

Ah that's because the new snow blew off. That's old snow. wink

You might want to check your thermometer. Mine is showing 26°F. Supposed to be a high of -2°F on Tuesday.

Yeah temps went up briefly but they are going into a tailspin today and won't be back up for several days.

People are complaining, but to me, this is what winters were like when I was a kid.

Same here! I'd like to get an epic snowstorm before the winter is up. grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

???

It was light out and I still didn't see any pictures.

On the road going to my parents place there were drifts about 4' tall, but on the next road over they were over 8' tall.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
January has been very mild. We had one day last week that was about 0 F other then that last few days have been about 25f-36F our snow has shrunk by 60-70%. It's about 6 inches deep but full of water. All in all been a pretty nice 2014 so far.

I just don't know why you guys live in such a cool climate. wink

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

J
Lunker
Lunker
J

Shortage? Really? With all the gas that is being drilled? Sure that's not an excuse to raise the price? Sounds fishy to me.

The prices jumped up 20% 2 weeks ago. Went to walmart this morning in search of some electric blankets...sold out!

B
B
Interior Alaska has had a very warm winter and it sucks. Yesterday it hit 45 above in Fairbanks, it should be 45 below. Very little ice formed before we got snow so ice on the rivers is not reliable. Warm daytime temps softens snowmachine trails making travel difficult. Trapping has been quite difficult this year. You southerners PLEASE return our winter.

I Subscribe
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Send some of that weather south and east!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

???

It was light out and I still didn't see any pictures.

On the road going to my parents place there were drifts about 4' tall, but on the next road over they were over 8' tall.

Ha Ha! I read your line twice and read it as "lights out!" I come back again and it says, "it's light out." Did you change it or did I do a brain fart again?

Damn eight feet? I'd have to hire a plow for that. Even 4 feet is difficult for my little Torro.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/25/14 12:31 PM.

B
B
Here in batesville Arkansas hasnt been as bad as most of ur winters but we have had I bad days kids got to make up a week. Most of r was ice today is 40s monday gonna be 20s .

In September propane was $1.34 a gallon, Wednesday it was just over $2.00, so I ordered some yesterday and it had already gone up to $4.00. Now today according to the paper it's up to $5.00 a gallon.

The delivery guy said there is NO shortage and agrees with you, Cecil! He commented that what we're supposed to be getting from KS is being shipped south and exported. That and a record amount that was sent up North to dry the grain after the fall harvest.

300 gal. in Sept was $400, yesterday $1200.00!

Bought my second infrared heater this morning since I'll now living in a meat locker!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin

In September propane was $1.34 a gallon, Wednesday it was just over $2.00, so I ordered some yesterday and it had already gone up to $4.00. Now today according to the paper it's up to $5.00 a gallon.

The delivery guy said there is NO shortage and agrees with you, Cecil! He commented that what we're supposed to be getting from KS is being shipped south and exported. That and a record amount that was sent up North to dry the grain after the fall harvest.

Bought my second infrared heater this morning since I'll now living in a meat locker!

Gotta love the gouging of America! Big business rules. Middle class America not so much!

D
D
Well it is snowing heavy here expecting 10"s today. Between Dec. 4-8, 2010, a total of 177 cm (68") of snow fell during a 102 hour period. This was a record for our area in 2010.

Below is a picture of our yard at 5:30 this morning. Now the wind has turned right around and pumping snow off the lake from the North West.

How hum... Movie day today.

If the wind dies down I could take the monster our for a walk.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
DSC_0044.JPG monsterBoss.jpg

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
D
D
Truck is out. Here is a picture of the shop. The eve toff is at 14 feet.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
IMG_0869.jpg IMG_0860.jpg

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin

Gotta love the gouging of America! Big business rules. Middle class America not so much!

Well not all as it seems. Esshup just had to deflate my negativity with the facts in a P.M. It's a combination of things including demand that has created the shortage. I just hate it when people do that! grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/25/14 03:52 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
Well it is snowing heavy here expecting 10"s today. Between Dec. 4-8, 2010, a total of 177 cm (68") of snow fell during a 102 hour period. This was a record for our area in 2010.

Below is a picture of our yard at 5:30 this morning. Now the wind has turned right around and pumping snow off the lake from the North West.

How hum... Movie day today.

If the wind dies down I could take the monster our for a walk.

Cheers Don.

Holy Snow days! That's cool Don!

We are getting heavy lake effect showers here today and I'm not really in the lake effect snow band area. For some reason I'm seeing Sea Gulls along with them (in between the snow when the sun peaks out) Maybe from Lake Michigan but I have see them around Lake Wawasee the largest natural lake in the State which is about 10 minutes away. But it's frozen over and has been for some time so I can't see them hanging around there.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/25/14 04:25 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
OK it's been below 41 here(FL) 8 of the last 10 days. Got up this am and it was 38 in the trailer makin the tile floor seem like a skatin rink. Getting old and soft!! Heck, DonoBBD will be gulfin in shorts and a t-shirt, sweatin Jim Beam!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
When Bill gets there things will heat up! grin

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Just being an old fashion winter here this year.

Don't know how much snow we got this week, but were getting dumped on.

Snow plow guy's are happy, and the wreckers are raking in the profits.

It's been some white knuckle driving for the past two days. Had to go to a company 65 miles away both days.

Yesterday, the highways were ice. I'm doing 25 and the high wind's were blowing me all over the road. Couldn't keep the truck straight for nothing. I finally got 2 tires on the snow shoulder and got off at the next exit. Took the back roads most of the way, but the East-West roads were drifting over pretty good.

Today wasn't as bad with the ice, but there were some pretty long stretches. Ran into white out conditions for about 18 miles on my way back this evening.

Oh Yeah, they are getting their money's worth out of those "Bridge May Be Icy" signs. laugh

J
J
We are having a see saw of temperatures here in Oklahoma. Much like Nebraska it is very dry here. Static electricity in everything. We are getting warmer or colder than the predicted temperatures and I believe it is due the dry air. Pushing temperatures of 70 F this weekend. The end of last week it was in the 30's. Starting Monday we are going to be in the 30's next week.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm happy that I bought a set of steel rims and 4 true "snow" tires for the winters here. Currently I'm running Blizzacks. I swap tires/rims in November and swap back to summer tires around the end of March, depending on the weather. The Peloquin torque sensing differential that I put in the car also makes a huge difference.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...