Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,984
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,535
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Bigtrh24, FireIsHot, Dave Davidson1, jmartin), 1,233 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#362910 01/14/14 04:53 PM
B
Bob-O Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I'm needing knowledge and suggestions on deterring Quaker Parrots. I'm in a trailer with a membrane roof. There are lots of Quaker parrots that hang around. About a month ago they decided to peck at the seems and dug down into the styrafome insulating. I now have to replace the roof to the tune of 4K, I KNOW, that's a small pond. I've searched the net on bird deterrents but have not found too much good info. So far it seems that by stretching stainless steel cable at different height to impede their flight upon landing. I am only here for 5 months a yr so it has to be pretty much maintenance free. I'm thinking using heavy fish line or spider wire but am concerned about breakdown due to ultra violet effects. Any input will be appreciated. Owl decoys have no effect, even the bobble head ones.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Lunker
Lunker
12 gauge with an open choke and #6 shot. Steel of course, wouldn't want anything from getting lead poisoning.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Or if you are in a trailer park and the residents would object to the noise, get a PCP in .177 and get a moderator (NO, not one of us) for it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I think you're in the wrong place for 5 month's!

B
Bob-O Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Lassig, that would be my first choice but this community consists of people even older than me. I don't want to be responsible for them soiling their Depends.
Scott,T the neighbor guy has been shooting them with a pump 177 but
he is 85 and I don't think he can pump very long anymore.
Jakob, I think you're jealous.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Been to Miami for a couple hours back in the late 80's.

It's a no brainer that the Gal's all went to Twerking laugh wink

It's a scary place!!! eek

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bob:

I shot a pre charged pneumatic air (PCP) gun a few years ago and it was almost 100% silent. All I heard was the hammer hitting the valve, and the pellet hitting the steel target 30 yds downrange. You fill it from a scuba tank to 3,000 psi. No pumping required. I wouldn't have heard a thing if I was 20' away from the shooter except for the pellet hitting the target.

The birds wouldn't know what was going on, they'd be dropping out of the trees without a sound.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
If you decide to stretch the wire, try using weedeater line. It will hold up for a long time, and it's cheap.

I've had our blackberries trellised on it for over 10 years, and it's still going strong.

You might also try using the trimmer line to fabricate a "framework" of sorts, then stretch bird netting over it. The kind they use to protect fruit trees.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
crazy You could stake a cat out up there!

B
Bob-O Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sparkplug I like your idea. They use that stuff for leaders when shark fishin.
JKB...a few hrs in Miami in the 80s(when it was somewhat civilized) pretty much impresses me. You weren't in the importing business were ya?
Mobilus, the cat would probably be subject to Lassigs suggestion

B
B
i wouldn't expect the exclusion wires to work well on birds designed to fly among tree branches, they could work their way in. In case the parrots bring in reinforcements the wires work great for gulls. I would try the netting, it should be readily available, cheap, and uv resistant enough to last a few years. If they are only attacking the seams, why try to protect the whole roof?

I Subscribe
Lunker
Lunker
Bob-O

My comment was meant tongue in check. My kids had a Quaker Parrot so I know exactly what you are dealing with. On the serious side I thinking the only way to keep them off when you are not there is to suspend a bird netting over the roof to keep them off. Or is it possible to build a permanent, maybe pitched, roof over it to protect it. Maybe do this in place of completely repairing the trailer roof

R
RER Offline
R
I am kind of suprised they can tolerate the winters and find food. what ae they eating? snow?
I guess they are not tropical parrots?

Last edited by BobbyRice; 01/15/14 10:17 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
R
RER Offline
R
OHhhhhh the googles say " It originates from the temperate to subtropical areas "......... makes sence now..

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Bob-O,

Here's an article on the Quaker Parrots (also called Monk parrots?) causing problems.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/TXU-squawks-over-parakeet-nesting-habits-1857535.php

It sounds like they're a real problem with nesting on utility poles, apparently attracted to the heat and/or humming/vibration of the utility. So maybe they're attracted to your roof due to the heat, or maybe there's something humming inside that get's them pecking.

Are they only bothering your trailer? Is there something attracting them that's in your control? How about some roofing tar (or similar) over the seams that would get tacky in the sun which might deter them? Sprinkle some cayanne pepper in the tar, or mix in some other deterrent?

How about "Hootie" the battery operated owl? Sounds like it has worked, until the batteries die. Or if there's no neighbors nearby, there's motion activated sound-bursts that may deter them also. But if there's neighbors nearby, even those may succomb to lead poisoning!

PS - I only now know what a Quaker parrot is so I'm sure the ideas others have shared are more viable.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Lunker
Lunker
Hootie ^ sounds good or maybe this will work:
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Sca...ivated+Sprinkle

There are similar products, google 'motion activated water spray'

Last edited by loretta; 01/15/14 05:36 PM. Reason: fixed link

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
B
Bob-O Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bearbait, good points.
Lassig, I was DEAD serious about using a 12. My roof is a pitched roofover unlike my flat tarpaper roof up in In.
LL, thanks for the article about Mrs Moron blockading the evil power co from protecting its expensive equipment. I believe she says they're just cute and not hurting anything. Right, she should hear a couple a hundred squakin at dawn and in their supreme intelligence all fighting to eat from one Oarnge tree when there are a half dozen within 100' So far there have been 8 other places that required repair or replacement. Odd thing is they only assaulted the membrane roofs for about ten days to two weeks, then just stopped.
Have'nt got enough info to make a decision yet but thank each of you for the input. By the way these damn things along with Rhesus monkeys were imported to Silver Springs near Ocala Fl for the filming of the early (1930s)Tarzan movies. Every so often one of the monkeys gets some publicity for being a problem. Two yrs ago one terrorized Tampa for quite some time. Was caught, escaped, caught again and bit the dickens out of a police officer and dnr guy. That "cute" little fellow soon joined Cheeta in the big jungle in the sky.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:12 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:04 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by esshup - 04/26/24 05:33 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away