Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,109
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
7 members (Boondoggle, jbird5986, Angler8689, FishinRod, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler), 746 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#362926 01/14/14 06:19 PM
Dwight Offline OP
Administrator
Lunker
OP Offline
Administrator
Lunker
!

Last edited by Dwight; 01/15/14 10:44 AM.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Dwight #362927 01/14/14 06:45 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Welcome to Pond Fly Fishing.

Our goal is to share information about fly-fishing our ponds to make a perceived difficult sport a simple, effective, and fun way to catch our prized pond fish.
Several of us have put our heads together to make this as easy as possible, to make it all-inclusive and organize it in a simple way.
Fly fishing IMO, is not in place of conventional spin and casting gear, but in addition to.

My favorite all time favorite thread concerning this topic is authored by Dusty Abney, known as Txredraider on the forum - a classic from one of our own PB members, a wit and wisdom guy with a PhD type guy with a lot of common sense approaches.

What You Always Wanted to Know About Fly Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Fly Fishing FAQ

So you’ve seen A River Runs Through It or a fishing show on TV that showed an angler making long, graceful casts with a fly rod and become intrigued. The whippy rod draws a very visible line through beautiful loops in the air as someone straight out of an Orvis catalogue carefully stalks a trout in a crystal clear mountain stream.

Truthfully, there isn’t much of that kind of fishing to be found in Texas anywhere outside of a few select clear water rivers in the hill country. The ugly truth is that most of us who fly fish in Texas rarely target trout in our home waters. The information I’ll present here will still be applicable to trout fishing, but will be aimed mostly at helping to answer some of the most frequent questions we hear about our weird sport and the way we target the warm water species here in Texas.

I will not cover casting in any detail here because that is something better learned in person and I am the wrong person to try to teach it. A certified casting instructor is your best bet to learn to cast a fly rod correctly and with a minimal amount of time and frustration invested. There are also opportunities to learn to cast at places like Cabelas or Bass Pro as well as your local fly fishing club.

How much does it cost to fly fish?

To a lot of us with families and significant others who closely watch what we spend in our pursuit of outdoor enjoyment, the subject of cost can be the most important. Sure you’d like to try fly fishing, but if it’s going to cost a thousand dollars just to get your feet wet, you’ll probably stop reading right here. The truth of the matter is similar to most hunting or fishing exploits: the cost is variable. I think it is certainly reasonable to get started for under $100 and purchase good gear that will last and do the job. A rod and reel combo with flyline can be bought for $50-75 from most of the online tackle stores and the rest of the money can go towards flies, leaders, and tippet material. If you want higher end gear, it certainly exists, but not everyone can jump in the deep end of the pool, financially speaking, when they start. Basically the cost of two nice meals at a restaurant with your spouse/significant other will get you going.

How does fly fishing differ from “conventional” fishing?

Fly fishing and fishing with a baitcasting or spinning reel actually aren’t that different. With both methods we’re trying to fool a fish into thinking the artificial bait that we’ve presented to it is a real meal.

One big difference you’ll notice immediately is the difference in how these baits are constructed. Modern manufacturing techniques mean that conventional lures are constructed of space-age materials specifically developed to mimic the look and or feel of the real McCoy. The artificial baits made for fly fishing are predominantly hand made from fur, feathers, and hair. When most people hear the term fly as it relates to a lure used to catch a fish, they think of tiny bits of feather and fur tied on a hook to precisely mimic some sort of flying insect that will be presented on the surface of the water. Although that is often the case for anglers who use fly fishing methods to pursue trout, it isn’t always true for warm water fly fishermen (and women).

A “fly” can mimic anything that a conventional lure can. Sometimes the conventional lure will work better in a certain situation and sometimes the fly will. There is a dizzying array of artificials that are suitable for using with fly fishing gear that can be presented anywhere in the water column to fool the fish in a variety of ways.

The other very obvious difference is the way the lure is delivered to the fish. In both cases we will use weight to transfer energy from our bodies to the lure delivery system to achieve a cast and put the bait in a position to present it to a fish.

With a conventional rod, the weight of the lure is used to load the rod with energy, which is then directed and released by the angler. The angler pulls the rod behind the vertical, stops, and then accelerates the rod forward, releasing the lure at the right time. As the rod launches the lure through the air, the weight of the lure itself exerts a direct pulling force on the fishing line still wound around the spool of the reel. The lure flies through the air pulling the line along behind it and unspooling line off of the reel.

The actual physics of the cast are similar in fly fishing, but the way the force is built up and delivered are different that the conventional scenario detailed above. When we cast using a fly rod, we don’t cast the weight of the lure; instead we cast the weight of the line. Understanding this tenant of fly casting is terribly important to your success as a fly caster. Instead of the lure loading the rod with energy, we use the fly line itself. A fly angler will typically pull line off of the reel and allow it to fall at his or her feet. They will then arrange the line in front of them on the water in a straight line and make what is known as a backcast. The backcast is what loads the rod with the energy generated by the weight of the flyline as it flies through the air behind the angler. The fly caster will then accelerate the rod forward and stop its motion at a predetermined point. This stop is what forms that pretty loop in the line and the loop is what pulls the lure towards the target, along with the flyline that was piled at the angler’s feet.

The description given above makes fly casting seem difficult, but in reality it is just a different set of motions than you’re probably used to making. The toughest part of fly casting for those of us who grew up with conventional gear is remembering that you cannot muscle a fly rod into doing your bidding. Trying to force a fly cast will only end in disaster and that is one of the most intriguing parts of our sport: learning the finesse and skill required to make the cast. I have heard this learning curve compared to golf, but I’d rather not sully fly angling with such a seedy comparison.

You can spend some time on YouTube watching casting videos, but I will caution you that teaching yourself to fly cast using videos and books is a daunting task. I learned to fly cast that way and my recommendation to find a professional instructor is based on the huge amount of frustration I encountered along the way. I did teach myself to make a decent fly cast, but I also integrated several casting flaws into my muscle memory that will take a long time to fix. Attempting to learn to cast without instruction is probably the reason so many fly rods sit unused in garages and attics across the country.

One last area of comparison would be the way the lures are retrieved. Conventional anglers use the reel to wind the line back around the spool after every cast. Fly anglers tend to pull the line in by hand, commonly referred to as “stripping” in the line. If a fly angler reeled the line in after every cast, they would have to pull it back off of the reel to prepare for their next cast.

What gear do I need to get started?

The basic equipment used in fly fishing is as follows: a rod, a reel, backing, flyline, leader, tippet material, and flies.

Fly rods, fly lines, and fly reels are usually classified by a term called “weight”. Weight doesn’t refer to how much the rod weighs, but instead to how much the first 30 feet of fly line weighs. Remember how the weight of the fly line pulls the fly through the air to the target? Larger flies or heavier flies require heavier fly lines to cast them properly. The larger the weight, or “wt”, the heavier or more wind resistant fly a certain fly rod or fly line will cast. It is important to note that you can always cast lighter flies on a heaver rod/line combination. Usually the wt of the fly rod and that of the fly line are closely matched.

The differences in brands, materials, sizes, and lengths of fly rods are staggering and best left to another discussion. My recommendation for an all around rod for use in fishing for panfish and bass in Texas is a 5 weight. A 5wt rod is heavy enough to cast bigger flies and fight a good sized bass without having to worry about wearing them down too much, yet light enough to feel the fight a good sized bream will give you.

Fly reels are probably one of the least important components in a warm water fly angler’s gear system. Most of us who fly fish in Texas rarely use the reel for anything but holding line. The great majority of the fish you catch will never use the reel to land them. The exceptions to not needing an expensive reel are striped or hybrid bass and saltwater fishing. I like to rig my fly reels so that the handle is on the left side, which allows me to operate the rod with my “dominant” right hand and the reel with my “weak” left hand.

Backing is a smaller diameter braided line, usually made of Dacron, which allows us to fight a fish that might pull out more line than the 90-100 foot length of most fly lines. Without backing, a big fish could pull the line off of the reel down to the spool and then break itself off, causing you to lose the fish. Backing also increases the diameter of the axel the fly line itself is wrapped around, giving you a greater mechanical advantage when fighting a fish from the reel. This larger diameter also reduces the effect of fly line coiling up once it is stripped off of the reel which is caused by line memory. As stated in the reel description above, the use of backing to fight a fish is rare in warm water fishing, but not using backing could put you in a bad situation if you ever caught a large fish.

Fly lines can be even more confusing than fly rods. I recommend a weight forward floating (WFF) fly line that matches your rod’s wt rating. Weight forward refers to the fact that the majority of the mass of the first 30 feet of line is toward the tip of the line, resulting in a line that is easier to cast. There are many other types of lines for every application under the sun, but a WFF line will be the right choice for the great majority of warm water fly fishing.

A leader is the connection between the fly line and the tippet and is usually constructed of monofilament or fluorocarbon and varies in length between 5 to 9 feet. Most leaders are tapered to be large where they tie into the fly line and gradually become smaller in diameter on the tippet end to efficiently transfer the energy of the cast down their length to allow the fly to turn over and lay out straight in front of the fly line.

Tippet usually refers to the end of the leader that is tied to the fly. As you change flies or lose them, you cut the tippet section of the leader shorter and shorter. This changes the taper of the leader and it also changes the visibility of your connection to the fly. Once the leader is cut shorter than an angler may prefer, they will use tippet material to tie on the end of the leader and allow them to use it almost as efficiently as before. With all that being said there are a good number of warm water fly anglers who fish with standard monofilament fishing line as their leader and tippet. Using monofilament as a “level” leader doesn’t allow the most efficient transfer of energy to the fly during the presentation portion of the cast, but it is economical and pretty effective on bass and panfish.

Flies are what we use to fool fish into biting the hook so that we can feel that all important tug on the line. Dry flies are what most people think of when they hear the term fly fishing. Dries are fished on the surface of the water and most commonly imitate an insect landing on the water. Poppers constructed of wood, foam, or deerhair are also technically dry flies and are used to simulate a struggling baitfish or amphibian. Wet flies, or streamers as they’re often called, are fished under the surface of the water to mimic insects, invertebrates, and baitfish that a game fish would normally consume. Think of flies just like you would think of conventional lures. If the fish are feeding on top, a dry fly or a popper might be just the thing, however if they’re feeding below the surface, a streamer is probably a better bet.

Fly selection, like the rest of fly angling, can be as complex or as simple as you want to make it. A few good patterns to get you started would be: woolly buggers (with or with out bead heads) in olive, brown, and black; Clouser minnows in white and gray; and a few poppers in colors that mimic frogs and baitfish in the environment you’ll be fishing. I would suggest a range of sizes of these basic “flies” in the area of hook size 6-12 (smaller numbers mean larger hooks).

My last suggestion would be to try to buy your equipment in person which would allow you to rely on the expertise of the folks in the fly shop to help you with any difficult decisions with respect to gear selection. They can probably also make some good suggestions about what flies are currently working on what fish and some new water to try as well.

If you’ve made it this far, congratulations, you probably have the patience to learn to fly fish. I hope I’ve illustrated that it isn’t that difficult, expensive, or time consuming to learn. You probably won’t catch more fish with a fly rod than you did with conventional gear, but once the bug bites you, you’ll find it difficult to go back to being “normal”. Good luck and welcome to the fly fishing section of the Texas Fishing Forum. If you have any points you need to have clarified or other questions, feel free to post your question in the forum as a new topic and we will do our best to help you.

Thanks to Dr. Abney and Texas Fishing Forum for permission to post this article.
George Glazener

My Fishin' buddy:

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Dwight #362950 01/14/14 09:12 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hef, I haven't got to read the whole intro yet, but will later tonight.

I want to say it was Todd3138 that lost one of your lures, though.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: george1
Welcome to Pond Fly Fishing.[/b][/color]Our goal is to share information about fly-fishing our ponds to make a perceived difficult sport a simple, effective, and fun way to catch our prized pond fish.

Thanks George for the informative introduction to "warm water fly fishing".

My last suggestion would be to try to buy your equipment in person which would allow you to rely on the expertise of the folks in the fly shop to help you with any difficult decisions with respect to gear selection. They can probably also make some good suggestions about what flies are currently working on what fish and some new water to try as well.

George maybe in the next couple of months if you have time and
I picked you up some Sunday we could travel to Cabela's in
Allen, Tx. and you could offer suggestions on my first fly
fishing equipment purchase in over 30 years?
Maybe Brian and/or Al could join too.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Zep #362966 01/15/14 12:43 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'll bet George knows a few fly shops besides Cabelas! wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Zep #362974 01/15/14 06:53 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Zep
Welcome to Pond Fly Fishing.[/b][/color]Our goal is to share information about fly-fishing our ponds to make a perceived difficult sport a simple, effective, and fun way to catch our prized pond fish.

Thanks George for the informative introduction to "warm water fly fishing".

George maybe in the next couple of months if you have time and
I picked you up some Sunday we could travel to Cabela's in
Allen, Tx. and you could offer suggestions on my first fly
fishing equipment purchase in over 30 years?
Maybe Brian and/or Al could join too.

Good idea Zep!
I believe over the years the Cabelas and BassPro starter combo fly fishing kits have been the most recommended, but not necessarily the best. There are others some may recommend.
Yeah, let’s do it - I have a couple to look at and maybe a Q/D (quick and dirty) lesson out in my back yard and we can run up to Allen and look at Cabelas stuff.

I always recommend a combo starter kit with flyrod, reel, line, and leader to avoid confusion.

My backyard is a perfect place for testing stuff and fly casting practice for PB folks in the area - betcha there are some all over the country willing to help their PB buddies.
Give me a holler Mark
George

Sunil #363026 01/15/14 05:11 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Hef, I haven't got to read the whole intro yet, but will later tonight.

I want to say it was Todd3138 that lost one of your lures, though.

Hey, hey, hey! Easy there, big fella! I did no such thing (at least as far as I recall!) when I had the Traveling Lures! Such an ugly accusation hurts!

I haven't read the entire intro by George, either, but did skim it quickly and look forward to having time to read it in detail. After catching a 2.5 lb BG at Richmond Mill last year on a fly rig, I am anxious to give it a try on a more regular basis!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Dwight #363040 01/15/14 07:02 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Don't take it personally, Todd!

It was probably just your sub-standard knot tying skills.

Remember that sweet spinner bait you had, that you lost after hooking a huge LMB at my pond a few years back??

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Dwight #363052 01/15/14 07:54 PM
C
CMM Offline
C
Great intro! Thanks to George1 for requesting permission and to Dr. Abney for granting it. CMM

CMM

Dwight #363090 01/16/14 07:18 AM
Online Content
Mark, when I first emailed virtual friend George about my desire to return to fly fishing after a 25 year absence, he recommended a TFO Signature Series II. I got a pair, and I practice with them all the time. I bought a couple of cheap Echo Ion reels, IIFC around $35 and I was ready to go.

Although I tend to be a bit unkempt at times, I'm anal about my fishing rods, and that includes my fly rods. I had a lot of trouble initially with the slower taper on these rods, but as I got better, I realized that these rods were perfect to practice, as well as fish with. The rod's slower action forces me to wait on my back cast and let the rod load. After that, all my fly rods seem easier to cast. It took me a while, but it was worth the effort.

George will set you up good, but if you want to get the expensive stuff, you'll need to hide it under the car seats like I do. whistle

AL

Sunil #363270 01/17/14 04:28 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Don't take it personally, Todd!

It was probably just your sub-standard knot tying skills.

Remember that sweet spinner bait you had, that you lost after hooking a huge LMB at my pond a few years back??

I think that bass had more to do with it than my knot tying. I still swear I saw his fins working the knot as we hauled him towards the boat! And if that wasn't enough to convince me, the wild look of desperation in his eyes was the clincher!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Fly Fish Texas March 8, Texas Freshwater Fisheries Ctr.

Originally Posted By: LHodge
Learn to tie a fly, cast a fly and catch a fish all in one day during the annual Fly Fish Texas event at the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center March 8.

Throughout the day, experienced fly-tiers will be demonstrating and teaching fly-tying in the Anglers Pavilion on a one-on-one basis. In addition, group instruction in beginning fly-tying will be offered in the Hart-Morris Conservation Center beginning at noon. Both are offered on a walk-up basis.

Beginning casting instruction will take place all day in the Conservation Center parking lot, again on a walk-up basis. Scheduled sessions will teach single- and double-hand Spey rod casting.

For a complete schedule of activities and seminars, visit www.tpwd.state.tx.us/tffc and click on the Fly Fish Texas link.

Vendors will be displaying and selling fly-fishing gear, and seminars will brief visitors on where and how to fly-fish in fresh and salt waters for a variety of species. The program will include presentations on fly-fishing the Llano River and Colorado’s backcountry canyons and high-meadow streams.

Other sessions will focus on caring for fly-fishing equipment, choosing a fly rod, fly-fishing for carp, tying flies for spring bass fishing, tying trout flies, tying flies to take advantage of fish senses and rigging for trout.

Kayaks and instruction on how to use them for fly-fishing will be available on the casting pond. Do-it-yourself fly-fishing for rainbow trout, sunfish and catfish will be available all day in TFFC’s ponds and streams. Bass and rainbow trout fishing will be available in the fly-fishing pond at the end of the Wetlands Trail.

Food service will be available onsite, or attendees may bring a picnic. TFFC’s regularly scheduled dive shows will take place in the dive theater at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. and will be followed by tram tours of the hatchery.

Event sponsors include Sabine River Authority, Dallas Fly Fishers, Temple Fork Outfitters, Red Hat Rentals, Best Western Royal Mountain Inn—Athens, Friends of TFFC, Cripple Creek BBQ, Danny’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que, First State Bank and Super 8—Athens.

Show hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. All Fly Fish Texas activities are free with regular paid admission to the center.

Courtesy of Texas Fishing Forum

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/re...4&nrsearch=

Dwight #365678 02/09/14 10:48 AM
T
T
No matter what your interest level in fly flinging, Fly Fish Texas is well worth your time. If you're a beginner, I can't think of anywhere else you could go to get exposure to so many diverse topics than there. If you've never been to the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center here in Athens, then that alone is worth the trip. I'll see y'all there!

Dwight #371762 04/09/14 11:54 AM
Online Content
I had a break and decided to hit the puddle with my 3 wt. I really haven't gotten comfortable with it yet, but I'll keep trying.

The wind's been brutal, and I got these before it kicked up for the day. After cutting a Woolly Bugger out of my hoodie twice, I decided it was time to quit. I would have used a Briminator, which we have on the shelf, but I've been told by the boss that they were hand tied for her, not me.

Top one went 1.8, and I caught several in this range. Second one was at 1.2. I a few more of these size, but this was the heaviest in that 9 1/2" to 10 1/2" length range.

Oh, no fish were touched with dry hands at any point. I had issues with sores last summer with my larger CNBG, and I'm sure that was from mishandling on my part. All fish this year stay wet, and I use a slime replacer. We'll see if this summer goes any better.

AL

Dwight #371778 04/09/14 02:13 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Nice, very nice

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Dwight #371966 04/11/14 06:52 AM
V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
I love it! Supposed to get up near 80 degrees the next few days and that should get the water temp up enough to get 'em pretty active.

vamaz #371971 04/11/14 07:23 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
We're supposed to possibly hit the mid 70's tomorrow, but we could see snow flurries Monday morning. I saw BG in the shallows for the first time this year yesterday.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Dwight #371972 04/11/14 07:37 AM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
It looks like it hit 92 at my place yesterday and I think the wind is going to lay down to 10-15 MPH today so I'm going to get the fly rod out this afternoon when I get there and see what happens. I did catch a 4 in GSF a few weeks back on it. I was hoping my 1st fish on the fly rod would have been more significant but it is what it is! Hope JHAP doesn't see that!!

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

Dwight #377524 05/25/14 02:55 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
All the talk recently on catching hook shy LMB on live 3 inch BG, so I decided to tie up a 3 inch Jig Hook Clouser to see if that would work.

Didn't catch a LMB but did catch a nice OTS CNBG

Fun stuff!
George

Dwight #377526 05/25/14 03:01 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That fish is amazing!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Dwight #377754 05/27/14 02:49 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Was wondering where you'd been, Hef!

Dwight #377758 05/27/14 03:11 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Here's a neighborhood HSB lining out at 15" long. It was stocked about one year ago at around 8-10". Caught on a 'mouse' like fly:

Sunil #377791 05/27/14 06:20 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Nice HSB on the fly!

Sunil #377792 05/27/14 06:23 PM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Was wondering where you'd been, Hef!

Just hangin' out Sunil - just hangin' out....
Thank you my friend!
by George aka Hef!

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
This is what it's all about:

This is Ryland, son Jeff's neighbor that feeds his animals when out of town.
I was fishing and noticed Ryland watching - asked if he wanted to fly fish - said "don't know how" - asked if he wanted to learn - nodded head yes!

Had him catching CNBG on almost every cast within ~10 minutes - took about 30 minutes for him to learn to keep a stiff wrist and shoot a little line - fish were hungry and not seen a fish hook in a few weeks.

Love kid fishing - that's what it's all about!
George

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails