Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,964
Members18,502
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
3 members (liquidsquid, rjackson, Mcarver), 1,007 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Its dropped to -15 without considering the wind chill. Brrr

L
Online Content
L
Dang storm took 90% of our snow away last night, but polished the ice on the pond nicely for skating. Front went through at 6AM and the temps are dropping. It is supposed to hit -5 tonight with 30MPH winds. I may finally get to skate on the pond without putting a foot through all of the random holes.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RAH
Its dropped to -15 without considering the wind chill. Brrr

It's so cold here chickens are rushing into KFC and begging to use the pressure cooker!

grin

It's so cold here we took everything out of the freezer and huddled inside to keep warm!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/06/14 10:28 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
And I am supposed to be in Ottawa in a week...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: RAH
And I am supposed to be in Ottawa in a week...

Good luck...

We ended up with 14 inches, give or take. Hard to prove that as the wind just piled it all up. I have huge sections of bare ground all over interspersed with 5-6 foot drifts. We are looking at wind chills of -30 or better next 48 hours. I think I'll stay home.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil, the chicken/KFC thang is hilarious !!!!!
On a more serious note I gotta thank all ya Hosiers for keepin me informed about the harsh reality of a nasty Midwestern winter. I am definitely worried about my pond. I do tend to brag about being in Fl for the winter but my true passion is the puddle up in Indiana. Think I'll have to summon the neighbors to crank up the aerator and get some open water.
Again, thanks to everyone for the constant updates. I do sympathize with all who have to deal with natures backhand.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bob-O you won't need to have them run the aerator if all this wind has blown snow off the ice.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Biil,

What about potential gases that should be vented? The koi folks and their small ponds are adament about those gases.

I'm just hoping I don't have too much open water. It looks like a steaming boiler out there! Kind of wish I had left the diffuser at 3 feet instead of moving it to 4 or 5 feet.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/06/14 01:07 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
S
One other possibility (from a person that knows little about aeration) is to use a different diffuser that makes large bubbles instead of small. Maybe something made out of PVC pipe with small holes.

Here is my thinking.

From all the reading I have done, we want smaller bubbles for water movement. More smaller bubbles equals more surface area means more water movement. Which is, after all, what we are after when we want to get better DO levels.

But for ice opening I wonder if the same small bubbles would not be less efficient. Larger bubbles equals more wave action equals more surface movement (as opposed to vertical water movement).

So for opening an ice hole, would not what we would consider a poor diffuser (large bubbles) be better in the case of winter aeration for the purpose of keeping the ice open????

I do not know if that is true. Just asking the question.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Biil,
I'm just hoping I don't have too much open water. It looks like a steaming boiler out there! Kind of wish I had left the diffuser at 3 feet instead of moving it to 4 or 5 feet.

Cecil, I'm trying to follow this closely as I just opened two of my diffusers which will be running 24/7 by tomorrow. The rest of the pond is still snow-covered.

As I now have two opened areas in 4' depths on opposite ends of the pond, I have no steam rolling out of mine like what you're reporting. Are you pulling in warmer water from deeper portions of your pond? I'm just wondering where all the steam is coming from.

I also have my well running right now so I'm getting some steam from that, but I'm guessing that's not difficult when it's -10F out right now!

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 01/06/14 02:12 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I shut down the aerator in the HBG pond today. It had been running since yesterday morning, and had opened a large area. I figure the open water will freeze shortly, and be plate glass clear....at least that's my hope.

It was steaming pretty good also.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
O
O
All this talk about open water, snow cover and aeration makes me think all of my fish are going to be dead in the spring...I have my windmill powered diffuser set at about 3' and have been plugging it in when I have complete snow cover..

It has been unplugged for about 4 days now hoping to get ice thick enough to play on safely with out roping off half the pond.....The wind definitely helped clear the snow..I have about 40% coverage but my ice is far from clear...Between the ups and downs in temp and snow melt it has me worried I need to plug the diffuser back in to get open water...Grrrrrr!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Scott,

Where are your parents living right now? I think you said they sold the place in Chicago and are on the lake?

I cheated this morning. The dog needed to go potty and I stayed inside. (It's been so dry in the house even with the fish tank she's been drinking a lot of water.) She didn't go far or was out there very long. She kept looking back at me as if she was afraid I was going to leave her out there. grin Even a spitzbreed dog has its limitations!

7 miles due East of me, Plymouth address. Not a tree on their 10 acres. The wind really whistles and they've had some pretty impressive drifts over the driveway. We put up a snow fence to help manage the drifts. They are about 240' back from the road.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My row of pines really made a difference this time although I still have a boat load of snow in the drive way.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Scott,

Where are your parents living right now? I think you said they sold the place in Chicago and are on the lake?

I cheated this morning. The dog needed to go potty and I stayed inside. (It's been so dry in the house even with the fish tank she's been drinking a lot of water.) She didn't go far or was out there very long. She kept looking back at me as if she was afraid I was going to leave her out there. grin Even a spitzbreed dog has its limitations!

7 miles due East of me, Plymouth address. Not a tree on their 10 acres. The wind really whistles and they've had some pretty impressive drifts over the driveway. We put up a snow fence to help manage the drifts. They are about 240' back from the road.

What about the place on the lake?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Still there. My sister and I took it off their hands.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
Online Content
L
Well, with no snow on the pond, it has frozen deeper than it ever has! It is also so cold, that the upper layer of ice has shrunken, and the entire surface is a spiderweb of cracks. Maybe when I get home I will attempt to measure how thick it is, but I don't think my auger drill bit is long enough. I can see some of the cracks go at least 6" down, maybe more.

For me this means ice-hockey is ON.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Low Alkalinity
by liquidsquid - 04/26/24 06:49 AM
Compaction Question
by liquidsquid - 04/26/24 06:17 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM