Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
2 members (gehajake, catscratch), 938 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I'm down with TJ's list, but I don't know about #4. Smallies might be better than BG......

Followed closely by muskie.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Never had muskie.

n8ly claims it's good, but that dude eats anything!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Dipped in seasoned beer batter and fried in peanut oil, followed by a few beers, and honestly I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between WE, YP, BG and CP. I feel you all deserve the truth, as shameful as it may be-please forgive me.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Omaha
I'm down with TJ's list, but I don't know about #4. Smallies might be better than BG......

Followed closely by muskie.

Is this one about eating size?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Perfect!

For the record, never eaten muskie either. Much better options out there.

J
J
...a guy taught and schooled me that LMB is much better to eat when you cut the gill plates loose and bleed them out really well prior to filleting and eating. Yum Yum. Try it you'll like it.

1 - Walleye
2 - Bluegills
3 - Crappies/Perch
4 - Large and small faced bass

Buckeyedude
A
A
Funny because that was the way I was taught to clean LMB!

Lunker
Lunker
Bleeding any fish leads to better eating. I used to bleed all of my salmon and walleyes and put them on ice right away. Leads to real nice firm and clean fillets. I don't have my own boat anymore and haven't been able to convince my buddies to bleed fish.

Lunker
Lunker
Bleeding any fish leads to better eating. I used to bleed all of my salmon and walleyes and put them on ice right away. Leads to real nice firm and clean fillets. I don't have my own boat anymore and haven't been able to convince my buddies to bleed fish.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dang, lassig! You didn't have to say it twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
A
If it's important, sometimes you need to say it twice!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Hesperus
I love to fish and my favorite species of eating fish is Walleye. Crappie and Perch are right up there as well.

For years I have always believed that Bass were not good for eating. In 2011 we went out to fish on lake Oahe in SD with a guide. We caught some nice walleye and some smallmouth. He convinced us to keep the smallmouth for table fare. With cautious optimism I fried some up (after frying some walleye first to be safe and compare. I tell you what it was pretty good. A bit different flavor almost like dark meat versus white meat chicken, but pretty good.

Recently I was out exploring the ice and trying to reduce the LMB population in our new to me lake. I ended up with a nice 14"er for my brief effort and decided rather than leave it for critter food I'd fillet it. I'm really glad I did as it's really quite good. I'd say it's a bit more of a firm texture like a perch and taste was quite good. No fishy or muddy taste. Not as good as walleye mind you, but rest assured I'll be eating more.

Gosh, there are hardly any fish I don't enjoy. Very importantly, I agree with the above posts about bleeding the fish, and getting it on ice as soon as possible.

Cleaning also has a lot to do with it. No matter what kind of fish, almost all have a blood-line that runs with the lateral line. After skinning a fillet,, cut out the blood line.

IMO, feed has some consequences. The LMB I regularly caught as a kid on our NW Wisconsin farm, and in many close-by lakes, tasted something like a combination between cedar boughs and pine boughs. I learned that there are many great ways to beat that.

I was instructed by many great mentors, that there was almost no fish or game that couldn't be made delicious.

I regularly fished the upper Brule River trout area, where we caught a lot of red horse sucker fish - they became incredible smoked-fish spread.

LMB that tasted like pine trees become delicious by soaking them for a few hours in in a combination of some salt and buttermilk. To this day, we cut the filets into finger/nugget size pieces, spicy batter them, and fry them at 220 degrees F., until they are golden brown. They disappear almost immediately when served. This also works with gutted smelts and sliced lamprey.

I do it in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, Virginia, and West Virginia. Nobody ever complains -- until we run out.

Anyway, properly prepared, most fish and animals can become very tasty.

As for Dave Davidson's wild goats and boar hogs -- I'm not so sure. Those are critters I've tried many ways, but never conquered. Old male goats and old male pigs, just don't ever seem to be edible.

Good eatin'
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Lunker
Lunker
Sorry Sunil. I shouldn't post while I am in a warm phone conversation with a customer. But it is so good it should be repeated. To add more detail what I would do is cut the gills and make a cut right before the tail. I would them place the fish in a live well with the water running. Once the fish was bleed out I would place them in a cooler with ice. Another nice side affect of this is cleaning the fish is a much nice job with very little to no blood present.

Last edited by lassig; 12/18/13 05:05 PM.

S
S
We fillet all fish under 12", part of our management plan. Fried is awesome, and we've come to love fish tacos!!

LMB only, we aren't taking many BG's.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"...there was almost no fish or game that couldn't be made delicious."

Ken's words to live by as evidenced by the heated brawl between Todd and I for the last of the jellied pig's knuckles.....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In the mid 70's I had some WE that came from the Wisconsin River directly downstream from a paper mill. No way could they be made edible. sick

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Ever chow down on a baked possum or racoon that was older than Methuselah? You know you're in for it when the cook has to stop and empty the nearly overflowing baking dish of its "juices" approx 9 times during the cooking process....out of respect for those who haven't had dinner yet this evening, I will refrain from trying to describe the smell.

Young ones aren't too awful bad....but not too awful good either, unless you're starving and stranded somewhere. And you're only other option is to eat dirt. And you can't find any dirt.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Tony, I get that for sure. Also, don't let anyone tell you a javelina is swine. We smoked one all night on a mule deer hunt, and I thought we were going to have to power wash the smoker before we could use it again.

AL

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
My personal rankings:

1. WE
2. YP
3. Crappie
4. BG

Great rankings teejaeh57, my favorites are just the opposite of yours. For salt-water, Orange Roughy (sp) 1st. Now, I have to stop and think ( I don't have salt-water fish very often) grin... But I do have a big freezer shelf full of the 4 you mentioned.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
"...there was almost no fish or game that couldn't be made delicious."

Ken's words to live by as evidenced by the heated brawl between Todd and I for the last of the jellied pig's knuckles.....

Sunil and friends -- I'm not as old as DD, but I'm not too far behind. In all these years, I've sampled a lot of foods and liquids, on all continents, and on many islands.

Some have been good, a few have been awful.

For other Navy and sea-going dudes/dudettes -- to make it across certain borders usually requires a fun-loving ceremony. I went across the the equator and international dateline simultaneously. The last step of making it to the real party, was to suck (and eat) an olive and a sardine from the hairy belly buttons of a pair of US Navy chiefs.

Thankfully, I like both olives and sardines, and I like swimming in a very clear and blue ocean.

There are a lot of great foods and drinks. There are also a lot of really bad foods and drinks.

Think about the TV series by Andrew Zimmern and Bizarre Foods. He and I could have been food twins.

How many other Golden Shellbacks are out there? Any Blue Noses?

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Cat,
You are tough! Every time I've see the Bizarre foods show I have to turn it off because something he eats starts to turn my stomach

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

How many other Golden Shellbacks are out there? Any Blue Noses?

Shellback here...never made it up to Blue Nose country. I just visited an old Navy buddy who made a career out of it - he'll retire as a O-4 in a year or so, last duty station is the CHENG on the USS New York - that's the one they used steel from the Twin Towers to lay the keel. He's been literally darn near everywhere. Most stories he tells makes me feel like a pollywog all over again.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: esshup
In the mid 70's I had some WE that came from the Wisconsin River directly downstream from a paper mill. No way could they be made edible. sick

The WI river has gotten MUCH better, but still carries a stigma about it. Kind of like bass and pike with many people. My Brother caught a lot of walleye on the WI and gave away to a guy he knew. This guy was more than happy to have them until he got a bad one. Best described as being "soft" he claimed it stunk up the house, ruined his fresh oil, and from that day forward he said he didn't need any more fish from the river...

H
OP Offline
H
What we really need to do here in the upper Midwest is popularize carp fishing and get people eating them.

Originally Posted By: Hesperus
What we really need to do here in the upper Midwest is popularize carp fishing and get people eating them.

I've got a neighbor that is a fisheries biologist for the state. He told me that's something they're working on here...trying to get a cannery put in to process the Asian Carp (silver) and develop a market for them. Apparently if you can get past the bones they aren't too bad?

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...