Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,120
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Sunil, jbird5986, Justin W, Bing, Boondoggle, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 886 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
L
Oh, I was thinking if you want to work from the ice, you can lay down some 4x8 foot sheets of plywood to help distribute weight in your working area. That will prevent you from falling through weak spots, and with ice underneath it will likely give you enough time to run off and with grip long before water becomes too deep. Another thought is some good snow shoes to distribute weight, though they would make getting back out rather difficult if you did fall through.

Example, I will go across a pond on x-country skis on some pretty thin ice that I would NEVER do on foot. An inch is enough with black ice, though I would prefer 2. On foot or skates, I prefer 4 or more inches.

Be safe!
Oh, and if you ever do fall through and get wet, strip naked and run for the nearest warm spot! Your wet cloths are your worst enemy. I think you may leave your underpants on but it may be a while before the jewels make an appearance again.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Awesome pyro work......looks a little bit easier to tame now!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
OP Offline
Took advantage of a nice day to get the rest of the dam bushes and dam brush cut down.

This is what it looked like Before

And after burning the grass (Thanks Esshup and Sprkplg!)

All cleaned up!

Once it becomes a little safer to get on the ice I'll share some photos of the critter holes I found,,, wow!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Really nice LL - Glad to see you back on your feet.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Looks good!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
OP Offline
Thanks JKB, not yet 100% and I paid for it all day but it was so worth it!

Much more, and better fishing possibilities and much less chance for critter damage!

I'll rest tomorrow since the arctic front will be here. From 50 today to 18 tomorrow cry

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 12/29/13 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

OP Offline
Thanks Sprk!

While working on the dam I saw two BG frozen in the ice (one on each end of the dam) and they appeared to be healthy. With the ice not being safe I wasn't able to check the rest of the pond but that certainly was not a good sign! Both were above the deepest areas of the pond, if that means anything.

There's no vegetation in the pond to speak of (just plankton) and I got one of my diffusers to open some water and let it run about 15 minutes, then 30 minutes today, etc., until I get to 24/7.

I saw Jdfarmer was having similar concerns on another thread where it may be due to his well-water or maybe the bubbler bringing up gases. This is why the slow start-up for me on this old, nutrient-rich pond.

My goal is to keep some water open from now on and I sure hope I haven't lost many fish!

Having only one diffuser running, would there be any harm in running 2 (of 4 total)? Both are in about 4' of water on opposite ends of the pond.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
You can run two diffusers. Two will expand the area of open water and increase the size or volume of good water quality.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/29/13 02:40 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
OP Offline
Thanks Bill!

The way it sounds, I could probably have 3 of the 4 running since they're all in less than 5' of water and just leave the deep one off.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Keith, this is a case where the lifting ability needs to be considered if water temperature is a concern. You are already lifting approx 4000 gpm (5.7 million per day) with the one Vertex Shallow Water station based on 3.5 - 4 cfm to that station.If you want to run a second one at the opposite end do so ( personally I wouldnt) but I would monitor temps in the deeper water (probably not practical or safe) and if you run all 3 shallow stations you will pull your warmer water out of the deeper area (with your Air 3 PLUS System) If you were using stations that had larger bubbles or had considerable less lifting capacity I would say have at it.Consider running the second station to keep ice :snow free: and the other one for open water.Just my 2 cents.

OP Offline
Ted, great explanation and description, thank you!

My "deep" end, is basically a channel running the length of the dam, 9' deep and about 10' wide at the bottom, drops off quickly from the dam and ascending more dradually away from the dam. About 30' out it gets to about 5' for the remaining BOW. The dam to the opposite shoreline is approximately 220'.

From where the shallow diffusers are located, I didn't think the warmer water at the 9' depth would be effected by the "lifting", but I also don't want to take that chance.

I'm already concerned about the trade-off of open water due to the geese (neighbors pond has hundreds on it, day and night!), so I will have only the two open at opposite ends and call it good.

I always appreciate your "2 cents", Ted!

Thanks again!

S
S
Nice job.

Reminds me of some ponds I have that have dams that look like that (they are much smaller ponds though). I have ponds scattered around on different farmsteads that I almost forgot I had. They have basically been abandoned for years. Farms that used to have a house and some cattle that are all now long gone. But the ponds remain.

After building our new pond and stocking it, renovating an old cow pond on our home place, renovating my sons pond on his place, and about half way through renovation on my daughters pond, I guess a person could say I have been on a pond renovation kick. Why stop now?

What you have done with this dam gives me the itch next spring to tackle some of the other old, neglected ponds on various farmsteads of old, and see what I can do with them.

Thanks for the thread, pictures, and inspiration.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 07:18 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images