Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
8 members (CentexSaj, Augie, catscratch, wps456, teehjaeh57, Shorthose, Tinylake, Fishingadventure), 1,077 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#358751 12/01/13 09:22 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I am new to pond management, I have a small pond(in the attached picture)that is about 7 feet deep at the deepest. Currently it is so full of algae that no respectable species of fish can be stocked. I have tried poisoning the algae and the pond is too small to be issued a carp permit. As of now it has a large population small bluegill which would make good forage for any species. From what I've deduced from my reading on this forum is that bullhead catfish are generally frowned upon but they have do eat a fair amount of algae. Could stocking bullheads at a low rate be making the best of a bad situation? Bear in mind I'm on a small budget here. Input would be appreciated!

Attached Images
photo (1).JPG
Last edited by Culummills123; 12/01/13 09:45 PM.

I'm a bullhead sympathizer, deal with it. smirk My pond is in
Hamilton, Texas.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Welcome to Pond Boss. What did you treat the pond with ?

Manual removal would be a good start as that will remove some of the excess nutrients bound up in the plants. What type of equipment do you have access to ? Also have the soil and water tested.

C
OP Offline
C
I treated it with copper sulfate crystals several times throughout summer without any noticeable change. I have general farm equipment, as I'm new to pond management I don't have any pond orientated equipment.

Hamilton, Texas.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Carp aren't all that wild about algae anyway. Start nuking it early in the Spring, when it first appears, before it becomes an infestation. And, stay after it. Once it gets ahead of you, it can't be stopped.

Where are you in Texas?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
You need to remove nutrient load from the pond. This means either manual removal of weeds, or putting in fish to utilize these nutrients. An additional issue may be fertilizer runoff from surrounding ag fields?

I would never purposefully add bullheads to even my worst enemies pond, but that's just me

Listen to the experts above

S
S
I had some FA this year and the guy that sold me my stocking fish said as others have here on PB that grass carp are not much use for FA. He did say that CC were pretty good at eating FA.

Can anyone else confirm this? Was he correct that CC eat the FA?

One problem I can see even if CC do eat FA is I would suspect if a person was feeding them pellets, they are going to prefer the pellets over the FA. And of course pellets are going to add to the already high nutrient load.

So if CC do eat any significant amount of FA, would it be good to not be feeding pellets?

Sorry I can not answer your question but instead ask more questions, but your mention of bullheads caused me to remember what I was told about CC.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
OP Offline
C
I'm in Hamilton, Texas which is Central/North Texas. What kind of fish would utilize the nutrient load? And yes fertilizer run off is a likely answer.

Another interesting point is the clarity of the water, you can see almost to the bottom in most places. Generally when there are a lot of nutrients present it causes the water clarity to decrease, right?

Last edited by Culummills123; 12/02/13 11:09 AM.

Hamilton, Texas.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
For a small pond a tractor , strong rope and a section of chain link fence will drag out a lot of FA.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
An old box springs does a fair job as well.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
J
My three FA eaters were 6 Israeli Carp, 20 KOI carp and Channel Catfish for my one acre pond. These did a great job for me. At the time I had 18 GC that denudided my submerged plants and so those plants played no part in the FA control.

This was my pond free of FA using the fish combination above with some control of FA by the above water lilies.

This was my pond the spring after my winter fish kill that wiped out my fish. Notice the FA around the log. But also notice how the above water plants stop the FA from going on out into the pond.

Now you see the same log without the FA that my fish controlled before they died in the winter fish kill. Absolutely no FA in the same area.

Now notice in this picture there is no FA out in the center of the pond when I didn't have above the water plants controlling the FA but just the three fish species I mentioned.

Another picture of the shore showing just a slight trace of FA but kept well in check. In my opinion besides using the three algae fish eaters if you can get the GC numbers about right you can also control the submerged plants but to do this it take time my adding some and watching the results over a year or two and then adding more if need be.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I realize John had success with that stocking, but take a look at the amount of other plants that he has utilizing the nutrients in the pond too. I wouldn't tell my customers that 6 Israeli Carp, 20 KOI carp and Channel Catfish per acre would take care of their FA problems. Besides, where TODAY can you get Israeli Carp?

I'd go with Tilapia for the FA. Much more of a proven fish management tool to remove nutrients and eat FA.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
I like John's attitude that he enjoys different types of ponds. I would think satisfaction would be more easily obtained if a person enjoyed what the pond evolved into rather than some of us have certain expectations and a picture in our head and are disappointed when that picture perfect pond doesn't quickly appear.

The Tilipia sound intriguing to me. The nice thing about them, at least for northern latitudes, if you screw something up at least they go away and do not hang around to become an everlasting problem.

John

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Zett's in PA sells Israeli carp. They tout them as great filamentous algae eaters. They also make a lot of other far fetched claims...

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Israeli carp eh? That must be right up there with Zett's European Yellow Perch. Which btw if they really were could get them in some serious hot water.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: snrub
I would think satisfaction would be more easily obtained if a person enjoyed what the pond evolved into rather than some of us have certain expectations and a picture in our head and are disappointed when that picture perfect pond doesn't quickly appear.

I'm absolutely certain it would be far easier to simply accept what nature has in mind. But is that satisfaction, or resignation?

For me, satisfaction is gained by the realization of my goals...and the more ambitious the goals, the greater the satisfaction. And yes, the flip side of that maintains that goals of a less robust nature will probably be easier, and quicker to achieve.

Everyone looks at their pond/lake destination differently, and has different ideas on how best to get there. That's one of the most rewarding parts of this whole PondBoss thing, for me at least.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
S
I suspect my personality type more closely resembles yours than John's. smile

Sometimes I wish I could "go with the flow" a little better than what I do, thus my comment.

John

P
P
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Zett's in PA sells Israeli carp. They tout them as great filamentous algae eaters. They also make a lot of other far fetched claims...

LOL. Yep, I have their catalogue. Some comical stuff in there. Heck, they'll even sell you bullheads and tell you what a good deal they are. However, according to them the fish they sell are better than anyone elses.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife
by Augie - 04/18/24 10:57 AM