Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Murdog, Wallaman, antscozz, Bowhunter2004, Thomas7
18,552 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,046
Posts558,845
Members18,553
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,637
ewest 21,527
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,166
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, Pat Williamson, Ron crismon, Bigtrh24, Fishingadventure, FishinRod), 566 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
In an earlier post Theo Gallus stated that Golden Shiners have been reported to help control Filamentous Algae. It is illegal to stock tilapia in Louisiana ponds, so golden shiners where recommended as a less effective alternative. I just wanted to know if anyone on the forum has had first hand experience with using shiners as an effective control before I purchase some. The weather is still pretty cool here and the FA is already getting thick. Any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.
Lunker
Lunker
Limb, let me give my experiences that lead me to believe GSH can help control FA.

1. From an initial stocking in a brand new pond in 2002 (with only FHM for competition for a year), I had very large quantities of GSH through at least the first half of last year (2006 GSH catch rates dropped significantly). I have had very low levels of FA during this period, in contrast with about 80% of the ponds (smaller and larger, older and newer) within a mile or so of me. I should note that there are 5 GC is the 0.9 acre pond, which has virtually no vegetation other than the phytoplankton, the FA, and and even smaller quantity of floating leaf pond weed. The pond is fed but not fertilized; Secchi depth in the Summer normally runs between 16" and 27".

2. GSH caught in the pond and examined invariably have what I am sure is FA in their stomachs; usually it is the only content. This includes GSH caught in cold weather months, when they must be eating FA off the bottom as none is floating at these times.

Possibly arguments against:

1. I only know that a small % of the nearby ponds DO NOT have GSH; most I do not have stocking info on.

2. I'm assuming my pond has a nearly equal ability to grow FA as the other nearby ponds, most of which are in the same soils. OTOH, the ponds with suburban residential runoff may well have high FA growth due to the Chemlawn effect.

3. If the GSH have been holding down the FA in the pond, I should probably see an increase in FA now that the GSH numbers are reduced. Towards this end, the warm months of 2007 will be interesting.

As I see it, this is less than decisive; however, if GSH would not be detrimental to your other pond goals (for example, if you're managing for large bass, they should be a plus), I would recommend giving them a try wrt FA control. You will probably have trouble getting the density of GSH that I have had when stocking them into a pond with existing predator populations.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
L
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
L
This is very interesting Theo. You gave the pro's and con's of this theory, however, the number one piece of evidence that I enjoyed hearing is that you found FA in the shiners' stomachs. If it is in fact FA, they are at least eating some of it, which we all know is better than none. I'd like to hear an update on your pond this summer now that you have a fewer number of shiners. I might go ahead and stock some to see how they do. As you said, if not for FA, then for LMB prey. Thanks for you time with the response.

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.
Lunker
Lunker
Update:

Based on feeding observations and catch levels, I have significantly fewer GSH this year than previously. FA levels seem to have been slightly elevated compared to last year and before. Neighboring ponds seem to have had less FA than last year, based on my subjective observations. This gives a little more evidence to GSH having helped control FA in my pond.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Theo,

Thanks for the replies and posts. As I have stated I put 10 GC in my new 2.16 ac. pond last week to control FA. I stocked the LMB, BG, CC, FHM last Sept. so everything is growing up together> I added another 2000 FHM last month as I did not think the BG had enough time to spawn and provide forage for the little bass. I now have incredible numbers of minnows in the pond so the forage base looks very good.

Question- Would you recommend stocking GSH now to help with the FA? Is there a downside to them with the BG and LMB being small still?How many would you stock if you were me and there was no problem adding them to the "mix"?

Montani semper liberi

Mountaineers are always free[Linked Image from i369.photobucket.com]
Lunker
Lunker
(I have just realized I don't know how to phonetically spell the gutteral groaning noise I make when I am discomforted.)

Stocking GSH to help with FA now? Unsure if a critical mass of Shiners could be reached at this point (or even what it is). I stocked 10 lbs of GSH in an acre a full 13 months before 3"-4" bass went in; as a result they had at least 2 full spawning seasons to produce a tremendous amount of F2 offspring before any bass got big enough to eat Shiner adults. At this date, it might be too late for a 2007 Shiner spawn (IIRC once per year) in Virginia if you stock them now.

I don't think there's a downside, IF you are interested in managing for bass. They make good forage for LMB. If your bass aren't over 10" in length adult (6" - 8" to me) Shiners could probably be introduced safely. I would want to add more than 10 lbs/acre to establish a population at this point (50???) but am not at all sure the can breed enough offspring now to dent the algae much.

Wish I could be more positive, but I don't want to give false hope. If you are interested in large bass, I don't think adding GSH can hurt anything as they will add a nice forage species and possibly, just possibly, make a noticeable dent in your FA.

-S. M. Stirling

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Custom 68, fklakes, spence gatewood
Recent Posts
Electrofishing for Non-Professionals
by FishinRod - 05/30/24 04:59 PM
Declining Water Level
by FishinRod - 05/30/24 04:50 PM
Aeration Issues
by esshup - 05/30/24 03:53 PM