Pond Boss Magazine
http://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Strat, Wholesale septic, Sledgehammer, Tiger4n, Chris22
15035 Registered Users
Forum Stats
15035 Members
36 Forums
34795 Topics
475787 Posts

Max Online: 1039 @ 03/28/13 02:44 PM
Top Posters
esshup 24012
Cecil Baird1 20043
ewest 18957
Dave Davidson1 13093
Theo Gallus 12332
Who's Online
7 registered (sprkplug, azteca, John Fitzgerald, catmandoo, highflyer, scott69, elnoseface), 118 Guests and 399 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15
Topic Options
#358549 - 11/29/13 11:47 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: Bruce Condello]
Bill Cody Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Northwest Ohio - Malinta OH
Since Bruce is doing frequent water changes pH would have to be lowered each time. That could become time consuming.

CB1 do you know how a lowered pH affects the denitrifying bacteria?

#358557 - 11/29/13 12:52 PM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: Bill Cody]
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker

Loc: Michigan
The lower you go, the less effective they are. A PH, generally around 6.0 or below will kill your biofilter.

#358562 - 11/29/13 01:43 PM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: Cecil Baird1]
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
From my experience with galvanized tanks and epoxy though (even with acid etching etc.) the epoxy eventually deteriorates somewhere and allows water underneath it. You're better off sticking with plastic or fiberglass if you have a choice.

You didn't get what I told you to get. shocked

The epoxy I pointed out is commonly used at waste water treatment facilities submerged in the poo poo tanks, and is guaranteed for 20 years in such service if properly applied and cured.

It's best if ya don't have to mess with the stuff tho. A novice wink can screw it up pretty bad!

#358572 - 11/29/13 08:05 PM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: JKB]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
Originally Posted By: JKB
From my experience with galvanized tanks and epoxy though (even with acid etching etc.) the epoxy eventually deteriorates somewhere and allows water underneath it. You're better off sticking with plastic or fiberglass if you have a choice.

The epoxy I pointed out is commonly used at waste water treatment facilities submerged in the poo poo tanks, and is guaranteed for 20 years in such service if properly applied and cured.

It's best if ya don't have to mess with the stuff tho. A novice wink can screw it up pretty bad!

That's the kicker. It's not easy getting something to stick to galvanizing, not easy at all.

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#358589 - 11/30/13 12:17 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: esshup]
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker

Originally Posted By: esshup
That's the kicker. It's not easy getting something to stick to galvanizing, not easy at all.

Very common and durable practice. It's called a duplex system. Follow ASTM D6386 for preparing the galvanized surface.

#358593 - 11/30/13 12:34 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: Bill Cody]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

Loc: Northeastern Indiana
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Since Bruce is doing frequent water changes pH would have to be lowered each time. That could become time consuming.

CB1 do you know how a lowered pH affects the denitrifying bacteria?

First of all it's not that big of a deal as you just add a little acid for every water change. Muriatic acid is cheap and a gallon lasts weeks in a system the size of Bruce's. We do this all the time in aquaponic set ups.

As far as lowered ph effecting nitrifying bacteria as long as the ph is dropped gradually the bacteria will adapt. In aquaponics 6.8 to 7.0 is a compromise as the plants like it even lower, but you don't want to go lower than 6.8 for the bacteria.

Edited by Cecil Baird1 (11/30/13 01:28 AM)

#358594 - 11/30/13 12:35 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: JKB]
esshup Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent

Lunker

Loc: Grovertown, Indiana
I agree that it is a common and durable practice. Just not one that a hobby aquaculturist could easily do in their basement or workshop. Key word being easy.

For arguments sake, say you had a 300 gallon galvanized stock tank that was previously in use for 10 months, and you needed to epoxy paint the inside for use for aquaculture. What would it cost to prep the tank according to ASTM D6386? Once the tank was prepped, how long of an interval would be acceptable before the epoxy was painted on? For instance, could Cecil do the prep work correctly at his house?

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).

#358595 - 11/30/13 12:35 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: JKB]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

The lower you go, the less effective they are. A PH, generally around 6.0 or below will kill your biofilter.

No need to go that low. Even the fish won't like it that low.

#358596 - 11/30/13 12:37 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: JKB]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

All it takes is a pin hole. Even the best epoxy isn't 100 percent over time. That comes from an expert.

#358598 - 11/30/13 12:45 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: esshup]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

I agree that it is a common and durable practice. Just not one that a hobby aquaculturist could easily do in their basement or workshop. Key word being easy.

For arguments sake, say you had a 300 gallon galvanized stock tank that was previously in use for 10 months, and you needed to epoxy paint the inside for use for aquaculture. What would it cost to prep the tank according to ASTM D6386? Once the tank was prepped, how long of an interval would be acceptable before the epoxy was painted on? For instance, could Cecil do the prep work correctly at his house?

It's really irrelavent from my personal experience. Even though I got two 300 gallon tanks via bartering, by the time i bought the epoxy and did the acid etching and applied the epoxy,it would have been cheaper to just purchase a plastic stock tank. In my case I located a supplier of plastic tanks with minor defects and got by even cheaper.

Another downside to galvanized stock tanks was the ribbing tends to collect solids.

#358601 - 11/30/13 01:01 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: esshup]
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker

That wasn't the point I was making, but no, he could not prep a new or even 10 month old tank properly in his basement.

That's why the new stock tank I bought a few years ago is outside getting aged. Just a simple cleaning, let it dry thoroughly and shoot it.

I doubt I'll ever use it tho. Too much of a PITA.
I think I'll get a couple cows grin

Edited by JKB (11/30/13 01:03 AM)

#358602 - 11/30/13 01:11 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: Cecil Baird1]
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker

I was pointing out Death!!!

#358603 - 11/30/13 01:27 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: JKB]
Cecil Baird1 Offline
Hall of Fame

Lunker

I was pointing out Death!!!

For what the fish or the bacteria?

#358606 - 11/30/13 01:53 AM Re: Starting an article for submission to Pond Boss [Re: Cecil Baird1]
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker

Bacteria. Pretty much gonna be toast about then.

Page 15 of 15 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15

Today's Birthdays
Bill Cook, Bossone, hugh greer, Kris C5
Recent Posts
100% Green Sunfish
by Jim Wetzel
06:16 PM
Southern Specklebelly Sunfish - SSS
by Jim Wetzel
06:11 PM
Crayfish for human consumption.
by Jim Wetzel
05:57 PM
Brush PIle for Pond
by 2blade
04:17 PM
A pond dedicated to Redear Sunfish
by John Fitzgerald
01:44 PM
Dave Davidson Gift Keeps On Giving!
by FireIsHot
11:53 AM
Another Otter bites the dust
by snrub
10:17 AM
"policy" on old content resurrection?
by sprkplug
07:50 AM
Best Source For Large Redears............
by snrub
11:56 PM
Known Hybrids Based on Pumpkinseed Dam
by sprkplug
10:31 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Sand Quarry
Cactus Blum Ranch proposed pond
Cactus Blum Ranch proposed pond
Cracked Valve Housing
Indoor Dwarf Sagittaria tank.
#MAFA