Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,064
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,408
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
20 members (bstone261, Bing, esshup, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer), 691 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Since Bruce is doing frequent water changes pH would have to be lowered each time. That could become time consuming.

CB1 do you know how a lowered pH affects the denitrifying bacteria?

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
The lower you go, the less effective they are. A PH, generally around 6.0 or below will kill your biofilter.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
From my experience with galvanized tanks and epoxy though (even with acid etching etc.) the epoxy eventually deteriorates somewhere and allows water underneath it. You're better off sticking with plastic or fiberglass if you have a choice.

You didn't get what I told you to get. shocked

The epoxy I pointed out is commonly used at waste water treatment facilities submerged in the poo poo tanks, and is guaranteed for 20 years in such service if properly applied and cured.

It's best if ya don't have to mess with the stuff tho. A novice wink can screw it up pretty bad!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
From my experience with galvanized tanks and epoxy though (even with acid etching etc.) the epoxy eventually deteriorates somewhere and allows water underneath it. You're better off sticking with plastic or fiberglass if you have a choice.

The epoxy I pointed out is commonly used at waste water treatment facilities submerged in the poo poo tanks, and is guaranteed for 20 years in such service if properly applied and cured.

It's best if ya don't have to mess with the stuff tho. A novice wink can screw it up pretty bad!

That's the kicker. It's not easy getting something to stick to galvanizing, not easy at all.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
That's the kicker. It's not easy getting something to stick to galvanizing, not easy at all.

Very common and durable practice. It's called a duplex system. Follow ASTM D6386 for preparing the galvanized surface.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Since Bruce is doing frequent water changes pH would have to be lowered each time. That could become time consuming.

CB1 do you know how a lowered pH affects the denitrifying bacteria?

First of all it's not that big of a deal as you just add a little acid for every water change. Muriatic acid is cheap and a gallon lasts weeks in a system the size of Bruce's. We do this all the time in aquaponic set ups.

As far as lowered ph effecting nitrifying bacteria as long as the ph is dropped gradually the bacteria will adapt. In aquaponics 6.8 to 7.0 is a compromise as the plants like it even lower, but you don't want to go lower than 6.8 for the bacteria.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/30/13 01:28 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree that it is a common and durable practice. Just not one that a hobby aquaculturist could easily do in their basement or workshop. Key word being easy.

For arguments sake, say you had a 300 gallon galvanized stock tank that was previously in use for 10 months, and you needed to epoxy paint the inside for use for aquaculture. What would it cost to prep the tank according to ASTM D6386? Once the tank was prepped, how long of an interval would be acceptable before the epoxy was painted on? For instance, could Cecil do the prep work correctly at his house?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The lower you go, the less effective they are. A PH, generally around 6.0 or below will kill your biofilter.

No need to go that low. Even the fish won't like it that low.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

All it takes is a pin hole. Even the best epoxy isn't 100 percent over time. That comes from an expert.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I agree that it is a common and durable practice. Just not one that a hobby aquaculturist could easily do in their basement or workshop. Key word being easy.

For arguments sake, say you had a 300 gallon galvanized stock tank that was previously in use for 10 months, and you needed to epoxy paint the inside for use for aquaculture. What would it cost to prep the tank according to ASTM D6386? Once the tank was prepped, how long of an interval would be acceptable before the epoxy was painted on? For instance, could Cecil do the prep work correctly at his house?

It's really irrelavent from my personal experience. Even though I got two 300 gallon tanks via bartering, by the time i bought the epoxy and did the acid etching and applied the epoxy,it would have been cheaper to just purchase a plastic stock tank. In my case I located a supplier of plastic tanks with minor defects and got by even cheaper.

Another downside to galvanized stock tanks was the ribbing tends to collect solids.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

That wasn't the point I was making, but no, he could not prep a new or even 10 month old tank properly in his basement.

That's why the new stock tank I bought a few years ago is outside getting aged. Just a simple cleaning, let it dry thoroughly and shoot it.

I doubt I'll ever use it tho. Too much of a PITA.
I think I'll get a couple cows grin

Last edited by JKB; 11/30/13 01:03 AM.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

I was pointing out Death!!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

I was pointing out Death!!!

For what the fish or the bacteria?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Bacteria. Pretty much gonna be toast about then.

Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:28 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:23 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump