Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, shores41), 1,178 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
I am one to believe that the eggs are on plant life that is wrapped up around the water fouls feet and is moved from pond to pond. The eggs are not stuck to the birds feet but the plants they have moved. Some ducks when fighting (like seagulls do at the beach over a fry) will take off with a mouth full to land in another pond to eat it or even fight in the air and drop it.

It may take time but persistence pays off more often then not.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
L
L
Muskrats, beaver, raccoons, etc may get things trapped in their fur and transfer it if another pond is close enough. There are probably other unlikely vectors as well, but as a whole at some point something will get some viable fish eggs in there. The most likely culprit has to be the two-legged type.

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
For the naysayers, explain this one.
This happened in my new excavated pond with no water source inflow other groundwater and 3 or so acres worth of yard runoff. A year after completion and the pond was a little over half full, nothing had been stocked yet, I saw what looked like cat fish rolling at the surface. My daughter and I set out some lines with catfish bait and caught several 8-10" CC. No one has access to the pond without a visit by my two bullmastiffs that roam the property so I doubt they were put in by people.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
drumz, were they definitely Channel Catfish or could they have been bullheads?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Originally Posted By: Sunil

That is what I thought they were at first so I posted pictures here and yall quickly educated me in how to determine catfish species.

here is the post on it:

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=302072

BTW: My memory's timeline was off a little, this was not even 3 months after I stocked my 1.5-2" CNBG. I would have definately noticed one of these guys mixed in with all those little fish.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: drumz2129
For the naysayers, explain this one.
This happened in my new excavated pond with no water source inflow other groundwater and 3 or so acres worth of yard runoff. A year after completion and the pond was a little over half full, nothing had been stocked yet, I saw what looked like cat fish rolling at the surface. My daughter and I set out some lines with catfish bait and caught several 8-10" CC. No one has access to the pond without a visit by my two bullmastiffs that roam the property so I doubt they were put in by people.

In my opinion, catching several catfish rules out a bird carrying fish....drop one?, maybe, but several?

Eggs transported by an animal or wading bird? From a fish that tends to cavity spawn, in water that in many instances is deeper than what normal wading animals would encounter?

My money is on human intervention, or a high water event.

Here's a wild thought: if we're even remotely open to the possibility of an animal, or bird transporting viable eggs from one BOW to the next, why not consider that the fish we stock from a hatchery are introducing eggs from another species also? If they can stick to a bird's leg and remain viable, could they be stuck on the side of a fish, or in the transport water from the hatchery?

As long as we're considering all possibilities.... wink

Last edited by sprkplug; 10/14/13 12:09 PM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MSC
I would just guess that it does happen but rarely and only a few fish. Now waterspouts from tornadoes can also move fish to other waters.

SHARKNADO

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
I am one to believe that the eggs are on plant life that is wrapped up around the water fouls feet and is moved from pond to pond. The eggs are not stuck to the birds feet but the plants they have moved. Some ducks when fighting (like seagulls do at the beach over a fry) will take off with a mouth full to land in another pond to eat it or even fight in the air and drop it.

It may take time but persistence pays off more often then not.

Cheers Don.

You know come to think of it I have a lake nearby that doesn't have sand or gravel for spawning beds for bluegills. The bluegills nest right on top of the submerged vegetation. Apparently they prefer the vegetation over the marl bottom.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/14/13 12:26 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Or walking catfish? smirk

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Watched this with my own eyes.

My pond was about a year old and still had a large population of FHM. A heavy rain early in the day created a puddle in the yard about 6' in diameter. I kept seeing a Belted Kingfisher going back & forth between the pond & puddle about 30' apart. The repetitive activity seemed very peculiar to me so I walked down to investigate. There was 12-15 FHM in pristine condition in that puddle.

It dried up by the next day with almost 20. There was no connection at any time between the puddle & pond. I watched this bird stock the puddle without any doubt in my mind.

2008, 2011 & 2012 conference attendee.
Striving to be the person that my dog already thinks I am.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Have you ever seen what a kingfisher does to a minnow when it plucks it out of the water? It's not a pretty sight. Kingfishers don't have beaks lined with felt. When the swoop down on a minnow and nail them with their beak, I don't think they're gonna be gently moving them to a new body of water for release but I could be wrong. Doesn't take much water for a fish, especially an FHM to swim in...

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Kingfisher was collecting them as it stood in or near the shallows of pond. Not dive bombing. One by one was transported and released unharmed.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Maybe the fatheads were supposed to be for training young? I know it sounds crazy but we do know a green heron will bring fish into range by probing a stick into the water.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/14/13 09:01 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I trust you, Blaine. You big Freak.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
J
Very interesting Blaine. I've watched kingfishers at my pond many times. I've often seen small fish still wiggling in the beak as the bird flies away. Who knows how the creator actually programed His animals. They certainly have to have a certain amount of intelligence, or they would not survive. Maybe humans have the problem of understanding?

Squirrels, and chipmunks hide seeds for later use.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I know the horizontal pipes on the boat hoist at the lake are usually covered with fish scales during the summer. Kingfishers land there after catching a fish and slam the fish into the pipe to stop if from flopping around.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I think it was starting a new fishery for itself. Forage fish first! Only saw it happen the one time but if it ever happens again, ya'll can rest assured that I'll be recording.

I know you believe me Sunil. I'm sure you've heard that story at least 3 times from me. Takes one to know one.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Word, Mabro! Word!

F
F
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Have you ever seen what a kingfisher does to a minnow when it plucks it out of the water? It's not a pretty sight. Kingfishers don't have beaks lined with felt. When the swoop down on a minnow and nail them with their beak, I don't think they're gonna be gently moving them to a new body of water for release but I could be wrong. Doesn't take much water for a fish, especially an FHM to swim in...
Originally Posted By: Blaine
Kingfisher was collecting them as it stood in or near the shallows of pond. Not dive bombing. One by one was transported and released unharmed.

Its not unusual for animals to be multi-talented. A simple example: A dog can tear you apart with it's teeth, and then pick up a young pup ever so gently.

F
F
Interesting story with the kingfisher, much like a dog buries bone or tree rats store nuts.

The only thing more fun than fishing is taking a kid fishing!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One of my dogs will not bury a bone if you're watching him. He does not want you to know where he's buried it.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
One of my dogs will not bury a bone if you're watching him. He does not want you to know where he's buried it.

Luna was the same way. She caught on the first time I tried to trick her by walking back inside and peeking around the corner. Never, ever saw where she buried anything. No poo to step in either!

After a bit of training, I just let her run free so she could have some fun.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yes, we've always trained our dogs not to crap in the yard.

It's the only way to go.

J
J
Yes, we've always trained our dogs not to crap in the yard.

It's the only way to go.

Our dogs go to the very edge of our property to take care of business. Also, sometimes they stay in the house but they were never house trained. No accidents in the house.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by BCR Pond - 04/19/24 03:42 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?