Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (H20fwler, BillyE, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 746 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Yes, Cecil, I do...

Just do it...
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Ewest, I'm no stranger to hotly debated topics on forums other than PondBoss....and I agree that emotions have an unfortunate tendency to cloud the issue, and make productive discussion virtually impossible.

And, I also believe it's far less problematic to talk about building ponds, and how many of what kind of fish to stock, and what to use to kill algae, and the benefits of aeration....all of that is important, helpful, and fundamental to being able to enjoy a pond...surely one of the goals of this forum.

And while I respect, and try to abide by the forum's rules, it is my sincere hope that the forum's decision to take the high road doesn't make us late to the water rights battlefield that I think lies ahead.

Sorry for another hijack...I started this post an hour and a half ago, but it's been a fairly busy morning in the shop.....no more interruptions from me! blush

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
L
L
Just an idea,

Some forums have an R&P section that are allowed via request only. You must abide by the rules of no name-calling, personal insults, etc. If not, you get the boot from that section, not the entire forum.

It stays surprisingly civil if threats of getting the boot are understood.

See www.techreport.com forums for example. Their forums are moderated very much like these (and why I enjoy coming to both!) but their R&P forum is a great place to exchange ideas that normally fall into delete/locked categories. I don't go in there often since some folks on there are far smarter than I in politics and I just get wound up because I am dumb that way. I only go in R&P when it is a subject that I am interested in learning more about such as gun control. Amazing resource it is because like-minded people can bring a lot of far-reaching information to the table to digest.

The arguments for the most part stay low-key, sometimes not, but for the most part, nothing like the comments at the end of new articles.

Asbestos suit required!

It also makes a great location to move threads that sometimes fall into R&P land to let discussions continue, but in a room with wall padding and flame retardant.

And no, I was not around for the first forum. To be frank this site is hard to find unless you have a leaky pond, otherwise I would have been here long ago.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Cecil you make several good points of why some things are banned here. An explanation may help others here understand why the rules are as they are.

Its a family atmosphere lake/land mgt. forum - not much family atmosphere or good mgt in politics.

Your family in Europe may well be able to rationally talk about politics but Europe as a whole does not (see riots in Greece , and others and extreme political violence by groups in many countries there). PB is a large open community with a wide variance on ideas and beliefs on non pond topics not a close nit family interacting face to face. We hope it becomes more family like and don't need wedge issues but rather binding ones. Wedge issues run people off

It is very hard in words to adequately or correctly convey certain emotion or feelings (see you comment "poor attempt at humor") and realize that words can easily be take wrongly or out of context. That can make for misunderstanding. I try very hard to avoid that in my writing but even cognoscente of that my writing above resulted in you misunderstanding my comment about "BS in Politics". The BS in in the way politicians often act not necessarily how "governance" (policy programs) work , although they certainly have issues as well.

Agreed Eric but there's a big difference between civially debating politics and rioting. And things can get out of hand in a country in a big hurry where the populous is told they will have to give up half of their pensions and almost half of the young people are unemployed. Comparing apples to oranges.

My relatives are German btw.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil I hear you. Had in mind ethnic riots in France , killings of the same in several countries , economic problems caused by politics , discriminatory laws and polices all over Europe , France 's soak the rich policies driving out productive citizens followed by threats against them when they leave as unwanted and more. Europe is very angry ! BTW I have German on 1/4 of my family ( Millers came to the US in 1820 +-) as farmers and merchants.

Sprk I understand and have been involved in the water wars. Look for much more to come and it is very hostile.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to move this thread back on course please !!!

Last edited by ewest; 10/31/13 02:25 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Back on track. Any of you heard from

Frank Pinkston (Frank) who comes by once in a while and was at the Atlanta meeting. He is member No. 11.

Russ Shultis (Russ) who posts on occasion. He is member No. 12

FYI Bill Cody is # 24 and there is no No. 1. Bob is No 3

Last edited by ewest; 10/31/13 02:35 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
FYI from Atlanta

"We decided at the meeting to take a group photo and let everyone who did not attend guess at the names. I see that nobody has taken on that game yet. Any players out there?

Here is the original list:

Number Attending and Name

1 Bill Duggan
1 Bill Thorpe
1 Bob Lusk
1 Calder Pinkston
1 Cary Martin
1 Cary McDaniel
1 Dave Davidson
1 David Pendergrast
1 Debra G. King
1 Eric West
2 Frank Pinkston
1 Greg Grimes
1 Hal Lelle
1 Jack Green
2 JB and Racquel Allen
2 Johnny Tanner
1 Mike Otto
1 Paul Williams
1 Phyllis Lea
2 Randy Cooper
1 Randy Edgar
1 Ric Swaim
1 Robert Coleman
2 Ted Lea
1 Troy Pugh
2 Warren and Lynda Gilbert
2 Wayne and Eloise Edwards "

PB Ga group pic

Last edited by ewest; 10/31/13 02:39 PM.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Frank was one of the posters that put together the the Atlanta meeting. Lives outside of Macon Ga. Good guy

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Frank is a great guy and a wiz with RW programs and remote weather sensing equipment. He went way above the call of duty in helping me and others with the Atlanta meeting.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
An interesting couple of recollections re the Atlanta meeting.

Due to family commitments(Wife) I wasn't going. Lusk called and said he had an extra ticket due to his Wife not being to make it. I said no but I mentioned it to my Wife who postponed her plans and told me to go. So Bob xferred the ticket to my name.

When we got to the Airport check in area Bob and Mike went through first with no problem. I showed my ID which is in my real name Samuel Zeno Davidson Jr. That doesn't match up with Dave and it appears that Dave Davidson is on the no fly/bad guy/ terrorist list. This was in the early days of the TSA. The check in guy spent about 5 minutes on the computer and then told me probably no big deal but that he would have to go upstairs to get more info. He was gone about 20 minutes and came back with an OK. However, during that whole time my smartass buddies, Bob and Mike, were enjoying my discomfort by making loud comments about dangerous, suspicious looking characters, Ayrab terrorists, etc. Gotta admit I was getting just a wee bit nervous and Bob and Mike didn't do much to make me feel good about this whole thing. I'd have given anything for a pocketful of rocks to nail them with.

We got to the meeting at a nice clubhouse, surrounded by expensive homes, next to a beautiful lake that Greg was managing. Mike and I agreed that we needed to be on our best behavior at a place like this. At the first break I headed to the mens room. When I came out Mike said, in a really loud voice, "Dave, did you wash your hands? You know what your Wife said.". All eyes turned to me and you could have heard a pin drop. Mikey has an evil sense of humor and once again there were no rocks anywhere.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I recall an extreme temp drop and you and Greg electrofishing. Also recall dinner the night before. A lot of good stories and peanuts by Bill.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
I remember that I was late - that's why I wound up setting next to Bob. And yes, I lived in Atlanta, and was probably the closest to the event. It did turn real cold when Dave and Greg went electrofishing...

Just do it...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023