Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus), 768 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
DD1 picked the place out and it was a home run. I was with him and it took us 20 mins max. Cat you guys were to busy downing beer and dodging imaginary bullets. Driver was busy listening to Bob Marley.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest
Driver was busy listening to Bob Marley.

I never thought of that.

Multi-lingual Sunil was trying to translate Dave's mono-lingual and verrry slow Texenglish drawl into some hyper-fast Caribbean dialect. I think it was the super slow drawl that took us so long to get the directions.

I guess Howard never heard or understood any of it.

P.S. If you've ever been in a phone conversation with Dave D., it is like -- "hey, are your still there??? Can you hear me now???" That boy's tongue is in slow motion! But, that is what I love about the Pond Boss family. It is such a wonderful group of very different people who can be friends even when we don't always agree about serious things affecting this world.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
So, all this history is making me wonder...

When is PondBossapalooza VI? Spring or Fall 2014?

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Lusk seems to have been a bit mum on PB-VI.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes its time to get going on that. It takes a lot of work to put a PB Con together.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yes its time to get going on that. It takes a lot of work to put a PB Con together.

You got that right. Our aquaculture associations puts a fall and spring conference together. Lots of planning, phone calls, emails, etc.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

You got that right. Our aquaculture associations puts a fall and spring conference together. Lots of planning, phone calls, emails, etc.

As a long time officer/director of my state's Aquaculture Association, I'm concerned about where we go too. We relied heavily on assistance from federal organizations, which translated down to state and local organizations.

I don't want this to go political, but the sequester has basically shut down our entire regional aquacultural research, enforcement, and training programs for water quality and fisheries management.

I had wanted to base our 2014 annual state-wide aquaculture program on water rights and water ownership. As of the board meeting we had about two weeks ago, we have had to abandon the entire program, and will just have an annual meeting and officer election co-incident with our state's annual Agriculture Conference.

The really scary part is that our aquaculture producers are competing against unregulated aquaculture imports from overseas farms that don't have anywhere near the health concerns and regulations we have.

At the low end of the totem pole, us pond owners don't have any real knowledge or tracking for pond species we are buying from suppliers.

I'm sure that from Cecil's view, and other producers like him, are viewing this quite differently from their sides of their ponds. They are still having to meet extremely strict regulations and inspections that prevent them from selling or buying, yet they are competing against other venues that don't have these same restrictions.

I well know what politics do to this site, face-to-face gatherings amongst us friends, and many other situations. Yet, I'm now wondering if it is time to start something like a fairly private blog/forum where we can discuss this without harming the good will and friendliness of the great Pond Boss forum. Kind of like a boxing ring where disagreeing grade school or high school kids can whack at each other with heavy boxing gloves and protective equipment, but not actually being able hurt each other. From what little I know of this practice, it seems to work. The come away with a better understanding of the other's views.

I'd rather that it not become a flame throwing site, but maybe that is what we need to come to a reasonable consensus to help move forward nationally, state-wide, and locally.

I believe that the Pond Boss regulars represent a very broad spectrum of views that range from the extremes of both sides, but most are somewhere in the middle. We can fight and holler, but we know that we are still going to be very close friends when the argument ends.

Anybody??

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I repectively diagree Ken. I believe that really isn't the purpose of this kind if forum. Could be wrong though.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
As the poster who has repeatedly pushed the envelope established by the forum rules regarding politics, I feel that I should be able to freely post my views to the exclusion of everyone else's unless they parallel my own.

I herewith nominate myself as the sole arbiter of acceptable political views and posts.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
As the poster who has repeatedly pushed the envelope established by the forum rules regarding politics, I feel that I should be able to freely post my views to the exclusion of everyone else's unless they parallel my own.

I herewith nominate myself as the sole arbiter of acceptable political views and posts.

Ha Ha Dudley,

Isn't that like a serial killer nominating himself to be the judge, jury, and executioner of people accused of murder? grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/30/13 09:43 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I repectively diagree Ken. I believe that really isn't the purpose of this kind if forum. Could be wrong though.

Cecil, many times my brain is half-fast. I think you and I agree about 90% of the time, and I consider you a good personal and PB friend.

I'm just not sure what part of my diatribe you are referring to.

So that we don't cause issues for others, send me a PM or e-mail with your thoughts and ideas.

Regards,
Ken

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Arresting officers, investigators and prosecutor too.

But how could you conclude that from my post?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One thing is for sure. Our mutual connection as owners (mostly) of land & water, and our substantial interests in the dimension below the surface creates a massive amount of common interest.

Our notions of private property and other common factors, I believe, give our total average as center-right, or clearly right of center.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Dudles, you've got my vote!

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Brilliant move, Sunil. Your second has earned you a spot as co-chair.

I might have been better understood if I had posted something like, "We know you're wise in being against preying upon young women, Mr. Bundy, but..."

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
"Preying on young women!!! Have you seen my wife, Peg!!!???"
Al Bundy

Just do it...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Ken you need to run that by Bob. I know I am not interested in the political BS. It makes for bad karma.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo

Cecil, many times my brain is half-fast. I think you and I agree about 90% of the time, and I consider you a good personal and PB friend.

I'm just not sure what part of my diatribe you are referring to.

So that we don't cause issues for others, send me a PM or e-mail with your thoughts and ideas.

Regards,
Ken

Ken,

No need for a P.M.

My family on my mother's side is European. For some reason they can discuss politics over there without it becoming emotional and they seem to be quite tolerant of opposing political viewpoints. For some reason it just can't be done here and can end up verbally abusive.

I have perfectly sane friends that are good people, but if politics comes up they become raving lunatics. So we avoid politics at all costs.

Since the site is not about politics we should stay away from it as Eric says, although I'm not sure i would have used the term "political bs" to describe your honest attempt to discuss how politics and government effects pond owners.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/30/13 11:20 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
"Preying on young women!!! Have you seen my wife, Peg!!!???"
Al Bundy

You do know Dudley was referring to the serial killer Ted Bundy right?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
Arresting officers, investigators and prosecutor too.

But how could you conclude that from my post?

My poor attempt at humor?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Cecil you make several good points of why some things are banned here. An explanation may help others here understand why the rules are as they are.

Its a family atmosphere lake/land mgt. forum - not much family atmosphere or good mgt in politics.

Your family in Europe may well be able to rationally talk about politics but Europe as a whole does not (see riots in Greece , and others and extreme political violence by groups in many countries there). PB is a large open community with a wide variance on ideas and beliefs on non pond topics not a close nit family interacting face to face. We hope it becomes more family like and don't need wedge issues but rather binding ones. Wedge issues run people off

It is very hard in words to adequately or correctly convey certain emotion or feelings (see you comment "poor attempt at humor") and realize that words can easily be take wrongly or out of context. That can make for misunderstanding. I try very hard to avoid that in my writing but even cognoscente of that my writing above resulted in you misunderstanding my comment about "BS in Politics". The BS in in the way politicians often act not necessarily how "governance" (policy programs) work , although they certainly have issues as well.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I understand the forum's stance on the separation of ponds and politics up to this point, but can it continue on in this fashion? Twice this year, I have been in attendance and heard Bob Lusk speak about water rights, and what the future may hold for us all in this regard.

I readily admit that I am not as well versed in this area as I probably should be, but it seems to me that water rights, (where they pertain to pond owners), and politics are interwoven pretty tightly....can we, and should we separate the two, or are we resigned to throwing the baby out with the bathwater, unfed, because we were unwilling to break the eggs needed to make the omelette?

Please note that my intent with this post is not to try and foster a discussion about water rights, but merely an observation made on my part, for whatever it's worth.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
This Forum is not a democracy it is owned by PB and Bob and Mike can say what they want and are not subject to the same rules as us. Note Bob talked about water rights but he did not come on the Forum and do so. Plus each of us is free to talk about anything we want in public or other Forums , just not here. Trust me we have had long discussions about this and there are very good reasons to avoid controversial subjects. Just one example is data indicate that when two people start arguing on a Forum other people don't like it and tune out then leave. This is especially true of viewers vs. long time posters. We are trying to grow this site with new people who start as viewers. This has been proven both by survey data (marketing) and personal experience (you should see the PMs when it starts here).

If one wants to argue about politics and public policy there are very many forums in which to do so - and you should join in there. I bet you will soon see just how angry and nasty it becomes. Go to any news source web site (CNBC , Bloomberg , Fox , CNN ) take your choice and find a political story and then read the viewer comments below it and get a glimpse of how it works (and note those sites are program monitored with posts deleted or not allowed (use the wrong word and the post is rejected or deleted)). If it weren't you would really be shocked by what people say when the disagree or get angry.When you see this from all sides you quickly understand why this country is so divided and angry and why Washington is the same way. Its a reflection of us no more no less. We don't need that here IMO. PB is a quiet , calm place of learning and sharing when the storms are raging elsewhere.

Last edited by ewest; 10/31/13 09:19 AM.

B
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
So any one else a poster on the old board

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Thanks Bill - back on track. I can find some if they don't post.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images