Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,946
Posts557,795
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Folchetti, Knobber, catscratch, Boondoggle, esshup, shores41, LeighAnn, canyoncreek, Drago), 1,005 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Keep up the good thread George and Brian. I love the pictures!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/22/13 05:58 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Originally Posted By: highflyer
Georgtopia had MORE TOPIA!!

I sure hope this doesn't go to George's head......

Brian, I am blown away - CONGRATULATIONS!
Just think - about a year ago I was trying to convince you to dig a forage pond - 'ya done good my friend!
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: esshup
I don't think your boss is going to let you give Al a run for his money in a beard growing contest...

Heck Brian may give Overton's a run for their money! laugh

Way2GoBrian!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Online Content
Originally Posted By: highflyer
...And now according to Santa, I do not need to shave again as now I am a mountain man!! ...

No more mountain man for me. I was without a cell phone signal and internet for 4 days at Beaver Bend OK and almost had a panic attack.

Congrats Brian, looks like Hans did good work again.

AL

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Brian, you made my day – I am excited!
I have visions of a world-class fishery!
With the ~18 pure Florida Bass we stocked last fall in big lake you have pure Floridas, natives and F1’s – a fantastic fishery as is!

Now with visions of grandeur, Georgetopia III “grow-out pond” is begging for next spring stocking of Camelot Bell to feast on your fall stocking of forage fish.

With your management skills, I see options galore to achieve your goals.
I’m stoked.
George

Ps: get you name on Todd’s Camelot Bell next spring fingerling list – if not already.
He tells me they will be ready for delivery in May.
G/

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Moving right along Brian. Nice!!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Very nice work Brian. Which new pond GT III or GT II did you put the spawning shelf in ?

George , Brian and I talked about growing out his own LMB from a few adults he should get from Todd. Spawn his own yoy and grow them out. Watch them as the yoy numbers decline from the spawn # of appx 50,000 to a few hundred. When he gets them to about 8 inches then seine and select the 50 best and put them in GT I to feast on its inhabitants for several mths. Then seine them and the remaining GT I forage out and place all of them in the big lake after habituation. Should be quite a ride!

BTW nice shot !

Last edited by ewest; 10/22/13 09:09 AM.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Eric, Brian briefly discussed your advice with me and I agree if you are talking about Camelot Bell LMB genetics.
I do not agree with stocking more LMB in main lake until he has a culling plan in progress and discussed CB options with Todd – which I insist that he carefully consider.

I provided enough pure Florida LMB stock last fall for him to have ample F1s so would not stock any additional LMB if CB are not considered. I believe I am the only one on the forum with CB experience with adult stockers.
These are the ONLY new LMB genetics I would introduce into my pond/lake:

Caught CB in December 2012 - weighed in at ~2 lbs @ 15 inches - 8 months old!

My 2 cents worth.
George

Last edited by george1; 10/22/13 11:08 AM. Reason: Camelot Bell LMB

OP Offline
Thanks everyone, I am humbled by the success we have had. I say we because I have not done this alone and there are too many people to mention, besides I might miss one and that would not do.

Scott,
Outing me on the raccoon? You try shooting a raccoon at full speed while standing on the side of a dam while the thing is running past you from right to left while you are holding your phone up to your ear and talking about important stuff like GT II and III!! Second, that is about how I did the skinning, but man was that a process. I think I need a sharper knife!! I now need to get him up on a board. The turbidity issue may be there, but I have all winter to see how they settle before I need to do anything if I feel it needs to be done.

Cecil, thanks, this has been a lot of work, but it has been fun.

Mark, NO WAY, Todd is a professional, and I am just an amateur playing in the water.

Allen, I recommend him completely. and really, four days, big deal.....LOL!! Get busy with your renovation mister!!

Phil, this is fun!!

Eric,
Thanks for all the help. GT II and III have ledges for spawning. It may not look like it, but they do. My plan is to toss all the unwanted fish into GTIII as food for the bass that I 'll try to grow there. That way, I get rid of the ones I don't want, and the bass grow big fast!! The plans are going to be fluid as I learn things, but I expect GTI will remain my CNBG pond and GTIII will be my LMB production pond. GTII is the real Mystery. I am unsure where it fits in the whole process, but I'm sure I'll figure it out with a little help from my friends......

George,
Input is always welcome!! Lets see what the spring brings. When I started out with our ponds, I wanted a balanced pond and I still do, so I have to be careful not to swing the pendulum too far to one side or the other. I agree I need to get busy removing bass. And now that the temps are good, I am on it!!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Brian:

laugh

I gotta give you a hard time! wink If you read my reply, I just said "practice on the 'coon" I never said whether you hit it or missed. wink grin I wondered what the "pop" was when we were talking. grin

Good thing you got that Nutria, they are like huge muskrats.

What'd you get the beaver with?

Yeah, they ARE hard to skin. Now you gotta flesh the hide. I know you don't have the equpiment to do that, so just take the hide, roll it up, put it in a plastic bag and put it in your freezer until you get the proper tools. I'll send you an e-mail with links to the tools you'll need.

Your place is shaping up nicely!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Scott, I would not have it any other way!!!

I got the beaver with my trusty .40 cal right behind the eyes. I saw him first and got a good shot off before he saw me. I was planning on trying to flesh out the beaver hide with one of my Ulu knives, but I'll take any advise you have!! For now, its in the freezer awaiting instructions!! The 330 got the Nutria.

I know this is a little off thread, but its my thread: I saw several YOY LMB in the big pond today chasing dragonflies in the shallows. It was fun to watch, and it inspired me to get my fishing stuff out and get busy removing the slackers. I'll post the best pictures tomorrow.

Now back to the thread's theme. GT II and III are making water, but I am unsure if it is from the big pond or from the rains we have had the last two weeks. The water looks a lot clearer than GT I's original water so I am hopeful that the turbidity will be lower form the start but we shall see.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
It is great to see yall out there seining, and showing off high quality product. Pure genetics, good program, great guys, thanks for sharing. Shed a tear seeing my babies all grown up so fast. Those bluegill stocked were graded off the top of several thousand individuals. They look awesome.

It's ALL about the fish!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Todd:

I'm sending you a PM. Check them when you have a chance.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
George I was only addressing the growout pond not the lake culling program. I think Brian has full control of that aspect. I am not even sure where it stands. I just know Brian wanted to grow out some better genetic LMB for the lake.

Brian what about just tilapia in GT II. That way you could use less expensive feed for them as they do better with less protein and a higher plant based product.

Last edited by ewest; 10/23/13 05:44 AM.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G

Originally Posted By: ewest

George , Brian and I talked about growing out his own LMB from a few adults he should get from Todd. Spawn his own yoy and grow them out. Watch them as the yoy numbers decline from the spawn # of appx 50,000 to a few hundred. When he gets them to about 8 inches then seine and select the 50 best and put them in GT I to feast on its inhabitants for several mths. Then seine them and the remaining GT I forage out and place all of them in the big lake after habituation. Should be quite a ride!

BTW nice shot !

George I was only addressing the growout pond not the lake culling program. I think Brian has full control of that aspect. I am not even sure where it stands. I just know Brian wanted to grow out some better genetic LMB for the lake.

Eric, I am confused what you mean by “I just know Brian wanted to grow out some better genetic LMB for the lake.”
Brian already has the very best genetics from the very best sources in this part of the country, with pure Florida LMB and CNBG introduced into his lake and brood pond this past year.

What kind of improvements are you addressing?
The only improvements in Florida LMB that have been made are the Camelot Bell LMB strain – fast growth, catchability and confirmation. I have personally documented these traits in my pond.

I have had the honor and unique opportunity to accompany Brian of his journey from the beginning of our relationship and considered a “mentor” in avoiding mistakes made that I have experienced.

As you know, the only information that I make public on the forum is experienced based.
Brian confides with me in a personal and private manner, which I respect and will not post on the forum.

Brian has done a fantastic job with his resources, which I recognize potential for a world-class fishery.
I have been honored to participate in his adventure.
George

Last edited by george1; 10/23/13 07:37 AM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
George the big lake in my understanding has a mix of LMB genetics including some very good ones . Brian wants to keep improving the genetic mix in the big lake. What we talked about was getting a few adult CB LMB from Todd and putting them in GT III and watch them spawn , grow them out and hand select the best to go in the big lake. That is an option to stocking small CB yoy with the risk of heavy predation or stress related loss and unknown survival #s for planning. Plus you have the benefit of your own judgment and gain experience. Fairly simple plan and is the same concept as the one used on his /your CNBG and consistent with what you have posted. It is just an extension of what he is currently doing.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Eric, we are on the same page....develop forage base in "grow-out" pond and stock Camelot Bell fingerlings next spring.
Stocking adult CB pairs is cost prohibitive.

I am privy to confidential information about CB that I cannot disclose. However with experience and knowledge accrued, I am in a position to be helpful to those interested in Camelot Bell LMB.
George

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
George " Stocking adult CB pairs is cost prohibitive."

Not if you raise your own from fry in GT I , II or III !

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
George " Stocking adult CB pairs is cost prohibitive."

Not if you raise your own from fry in GT I , II or III !

Eric,I know that you know about the birds and bees...right? grin
Where are you going to get the CB fry?
Those fry have to have a mama and papa and they are pricey!

Last edited by george1; 10/23/13 03:19 PM.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
From Todd. Put some in GT III with some FH and small BG fry and watch them grow. If you can't buy adult stockers then grow your own. I don't think that would be cost prohibitive for Brian. 50 2-4 inch CB yoy should be plenty. If I bought a couple hundred from Todd I would hold back 50 and put them in GT III filled with fry forage and a feeder.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Sorry, I did not know that your advice had come from Todd since he does not talk about customers business. We have discussed this subject at length in person.

My mistake - I didn't know Todd sold CB "fry".
Todd has on his website 1”-3” CB will be available May-June and 3”-4” at the same time. Are these fish fry or fingerlings?
My redneck definition:
Fry: 1 inch?
Fingerling: 3 inches?

We have been telling Brian the same thing. I call it options since it is his decision.
I ask him to consider stocking “fingerlings” in May - grow them out - save his best of best for brood stock and transfer selected numbers to lake.

He should get his name on the list early however - Todd sold out early this spring.

Last edited by george1; 10/23/13 05:42 PM.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
George what are you doing with your adult non-cammy black bass that you cull out?

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Mark, I hate to tell you, but they are coon food.
I may get divorced when apprehended by Mrs. G however. cry

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
George I may need to drop by & pick 'em up!
What sizes are they?
Caught Floridas all my life...
I could give them a nice new comfy home!
smile

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Mark, Brian and my sons and I took out some 18 pure Floridas last fall for his lake and with the hot weather have not fished our pond enough this summer to evaluate condition and numbers.

Out of the 8 CB we stocked, 4 have been caught and released, proving the catchability and fast growth characteristic - fin clip ID.
Only one 3+ lb fat and happy Florida has been CPR.
So far the only LMB that have been culled have been small <14 inhchers and like I said Mrs. G wasn't happy.

With the on/off hot/cold spring I don't think we got a good spawn - hope not anyway - how was your spawn and how are your Camelot Bells doing?

If we find over abundance of Floridas I will give you a holler.
I have too good Florida genetics to go to waste.
George

Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
Major Fail
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:44 AM