Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
We transported these trout from a hatchery about 4 hours away. I had previously transported over a hundred Hybrid Stripers approx the same distance, but I modified my tank to provide more oxygen for the fish. I was told trout need about twice the dissolved oxygen, plus these trout are about 3 times the size of the hybrids I got last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MST579Kr6s

“That boy, I say, that boy's about as sharp as a bowling ball”
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I bought my first brook trout from Bryan Plemmons at Castaline. Very nice guy to work with.

Did you know he sells trout to the Whitehouse?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

OP Offline
I didn't know he sold to the Whitehouse. He is a great guy to deal with though. Expert on trout and very very helpful.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I notice that your cage has 6 sides... A "morph" cage style that could end some of the arguments (err, I mean, discussions) that occur on this site between the round cage guys and the rectangular cage guys! hehe.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: djstauder
I notice that your cage has 6 sides... A "morph" cage style that could end some of the arguments (err, I mean, discussions) that occur on this site between the round cage guys and the rectangular cage guys! hehe.

There's no arguments or discussion when it comes to round or square cages. It's obvious to anyone that Cody's round wastebasket style cages are inferior to my dumpster shaped cages.

grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/20/13 05:46 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Square cages promote bullying and peer pressure....there's always that one group of really cool, popular fish that stake out a corner and make it theirs. Then all the other fish spend every waking moment trying to figure out how to up their social status.....that causes stress.

I'll stick wwith round....I don't want: "contributing to low self esteem among lepomids", on my conscience. whistle

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
This is getting good.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Besides spark, the devil cant catch you in a round building. Remember the old round barns? Kinda difficult to corner something without a corner.

I kinda like the octagon rig, but would probably end up with a dumpster, for being practical.

Not taking sides tho.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Of course I'm just having fun with this as our others but there's no telling what Cody will do when he sees this. whistle grin

Actually Bill told me of one producer in Ohio that says square cages are better for yellow perch but I don't remember why.

Bill?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/21/13 01:14 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Baird and Cody are back into the word wrestling ring. I think Baird is putting words in my mouth or it is wishful thinking about square-rectangular cages as better for YP vs cylinder cages, or he has been drinking or inhaling gas fumes. It only makes sense that fish will tend to bunch up in cage corners especially new fish in a cage until they become accustomed to cage life (prison). New fish are also trying to recover from handling stress and bunching up into cage corners makes the stress worse, despite what some may say. Watch frightened fish in a cage. Perception is not reality. Note that CB1 does not use square aquaculture tanks. It is commonly reported that cylindrical cages are much better for pelagic fish or constantly swimming fish such as hybrid striped bass and trout. Name me a fish that swims in square or rectangular patterns.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/20/13 08:40 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I think Bill would have a 1 sided argument -vs- 4 or 8. The more sides you have, the closer and closer it get's to one.

Hope that wasn't confusing crazy laugh

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: JKB
Besides spark, the devil cant catch you in a round building. Remember the old round barns? Kinda difficult to corner something without a corner.

He can if you've got two left feet and tend to fall down a lot.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Originally Posted By: JKB

He can if you've got two left feet and tend to fall down a lot.

Yeah, If I don't tie my boots tight, I'd be in a mess of trouble.

Last week I was up at the property sorting and moving stuff. I picked up a box of junk and proceeded to walk across a pallet. Left foot went between two boards and got stuck. Next thing, my right leg below the knee got a bunch of abuse from falling and bled for a while. My first thought was, I could have broke my ankle here. Wouldn't mind more than a 1 day vacation tho. I hear they have stuff to take the edge off laugh

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Baird and Cody are back into the word wrestling ring. I think Baird is putting words in my mouth or it is wishful thinking about square-rectangular cages as better for YP vs cylinder cages, or he has been drinking or inhaling gas fumes. It only makes sense that fish will tend to bunch up in cage corners especially new fish in a cage until they become accustomed to cage life (prison). New fish are also trying to recover from handling stress and bunching up into cage corners makes the stress worse, despite what some may say. Watch frightened fish in a cage. Perception is not reality. Note that CB1 does not use square aquaculture tanks. It is commonly reported that cylindrical cages are much better for pelagic fish or constantly swimming fish such as hybrid striped bass and trout. Name me a fish that swims in square or rectangular patterns.

No Bill I distinctly remember you said a perch producer in Ohio told you square cages were better and gave a reason. Just can't remember what it was. Seems to me the name was Bream or something like that. I remember you were surprised by it.

BTW never had a problem with fish bunching up in corners.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/21/13 01:17 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Some fish species are no doubt more prone to fish bunching in corners vs other species. My YP when excited or newly introduced will bunch up in the bottom corners of the cylindrical cages.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/22/13 09:46 AM.

OP Offline
My cage has an octagonal frame. It is built with 8 45-degree connectors, 8 "T" connectors, and 16 1-foot pvc sections in between. So, the frame has 8 sides, but when you attach all the vinyl poultry netting to the inside of the frame, what you end up with is pretty much round, which is exactly how I planned it.

Why round? I knew there was an argument already raging about square vs. round. The proponents of round said it was less stressful, and the proponents of square merely said it wasn't true. I figured, if there is any doubt at all, why not choose the design that just might possibly cause less stress?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A cylindrical style cage is much more important for fish like trout and hybrid striped bass and less important for more sedentary fish like BG, YP, Bass and CC. However sedentary fish survive well in a round cage. A cylindrical cage might be more versatile than a square cage. Cylindrical cages are faster and easier to make in my opinion. Trout and HSB are active swimmers and it is "more natural" and logical for them to be in a round shaped cage where they can actively swim in circles. When one or animals run long distance in small areas on a track, the track is oval and not square. This facilitates rapid continuous movement. Again good job in designing and making that cage. I have one cage with the top shaped as an hexagon, however the bottom is more circular. The remaining 7 cages are cylindrical. My live boxes are rectangular.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/22/13 10:01 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Nice video about your transport tank and homemade aerator. Good quality time for father and son. Are the trout eating yet?? I think you will really like how the trout perform for you in the next 7 months. Be watchful of accumulations of filamentous algae growth on the outside cage walls. FA growth will inhibit water circulation and cause water quality problems in the cage. If that happens the trout will cease or slow their feeding significantly. Then it is time to broom or brush the algae off the cage as best you can. One suggestion, when trying to remove the fish from the transport tank, drain the water way down to shallow depth of 6"-12" and fish will be a lot easer to catch with less net chasing stress.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/22/13 01:31 PM.

K
K
Nice video but that is one cute kid. I assume you married up as we lucky ones did. Take care.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
A cylindrical style cage is much more important for fish like trout and hybrid striped bass and less important for more sedentary fish like BG, YP, Bass and CC. However sedentary fish survive well in a round cage. A cylindrical cage might be more versatile than a square cage. Cylindrical cages are faster and easier to make in my opinion. Trout and HSB are active swimmers and it is "more natural" and logical for them to be in a round shaped cage where they can actively swim in circles. When one or animals run long distance in small areas on a track, the track is oval and not square. This facilitates rapid continuous movement. Again good job in designing and making that cage. I have one cage with the top shaped as an hexagon, however the bottom is more circular. The remaining 7 cages are cylindrical. My live boxes are rectangular.

How difficult is it to brush off algae from a round cage? With my dumpsters i can hold a flat side agaist the pier and go to town with the push broom.

OP Offline
I am happy to report that the fish are eating their feed with enthusiasm. Today was the first day I've witnessed it myself. My better half said they've been eating for her and the boys the past few days while I was at work.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Trout are a blast and active feeders. Enjoy!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Brushing FA off a cage is really a two person job. One to hold the cage and the other to operate the brush. I like a roofing tar brush since it has short, stiff bristles.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I know it doesn't work for states where they aren't legal, and they sure don't work in cold water, but throwing a few Tilapia in the cage with the SMB this Spring meant that I never had to brush any FA off of the cage.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Brushing FA off a cage is really a two person job. One to hold the cage and the other to operate the brush. I like a roofing tar brush since it has short, stiff bristles.

It's a one person job with the square cages. You can hold them up against the pier as you brush them. smirk

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...