Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks George.

To tell you the truth there has hardly been any fishing going on since we started building the log cabins early this year. I added some small camelot bells last year, but I would assume that many of them got gobbled up. It was probably a rookie mistake adding small camelot bells into a large pond full of predators, but who knows maybe a few made it? I switched gears this year and had Overton's add some nice size adult Florida largemouth bass in late Spring 2013. I hope the adult Floridas we added have been feasting on Overton's Tilapia over the summer. Gosh those Overton Tilapia are the best aren't they? Maybe 2014 will allow more time to wet a hook!

ps: Sorry for thread-drift Brian!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

OP Offline
Okay, I am back among the connected. First off, I would like to thanks Eric and George for their continued input as I learn about growing the best fish. Both your input means a lot to me. I have set up GTII now called "Moretopia" by the boss, and GT III, "Extratopia" so I have options. IF CB are available I may try my hand at growing some out in Extratopia, but if they aren't, I will find the best of my LMB, either F1s or Floridas and try my hand at spawning them in Extratopia and try to grow the fry out and select the best to go into the public pool. I will of course save the best of the best to remain behind for the following year if possible. But nothing is in stone at this time. Moretopia will be growing FHMs and CNBG to start with. I may change things up as I go, but who knows, it is only the beginning of a long and fun journey. No doubt I'll make more mistakes. We all do, but as long as I learn from them, I'm okay with that.

Mark, no problem!! I enjoyed the discussion!!

Okay, so how did it turn out, well I like the results so far: But first a picture of the back waters of the big pond for Mark and Tony.

The topped trees happened during the storm last month, the same one that caused the whitecaps.

NOW back to the thread!!

Here is Extratopia filling using Allen's improved filler "neck" and the filters Todd recommended. I was happy with the water as it filled. I took the water from the big pond.

Eric, the shelf only has 8-10 inches on it right now, but I plan to raise the water level another foot before adding any LMB.

Here is a picture of Moretopia early in the process of being filled. Again, Allen's modification worked great!!

Finally, I took these pictures early this morning. While I have not finished filling either pond, both have enough water to get started. I'll add more water as needed in time.

This picture was taken while standing on Georgetopia looking south towards the new ponds and down the big pond.

Here is a picture taken from the west of the new ponds, It shows the big pond in the background and how the two new ponds look today.

Next week I plan to add FHM's to both ponds to get them started. I'll add some Georgetopia water to add a starter amount of Phytoplankton and Zooplankton as well.

As always, I would love to hear any thoughts.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That looks great ! 18-24 inches of water over the shelf is enough for LMB or CNBG to spawn. I have seen them spawn in 10 inches of water. May want to think about a temporary netting method over the shelf to keep herons out during the spawn.

I know you have put out some rye or other grass seed.

OP Offline
Rye goes out on Tuesday with the erosion matting!! I have a helper (read nephew) who will be used like a rented mule Tuesday and Wednesday!!! If we have any time left over, I have a few other odd jobs we will be working on!! And we will go fishing because skinning fish is also on his agenda!!

Heron netting may be needed, I'll see how it goes and be ready if needed. I think a scarecrow might just do the trick as the area is not that big.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Outstanding!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Brian, thanks for the "heads up" phone call - 'ya done good my friend!
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

OP Offline
Well Georgetopia's new neighbors are doing well!! I have rye grass seed out and some of the erosion control matting out as well.

Here is a picture of Extratopia. It will be used for LMB spawning and grow-out.

Here you can see all three ponds and the erosion control matting that we have put down so far.

I plan to put down the rest as soon as possible.

Here is a picture of Allen and another friend who helped me cull a few of my CNBG from Georgetopia and set them free in Extratopia to get going on a spawn. I hope to get ahead of the curve in both Extatopia and Moretopia as I have plans for them in the spring.

While a little off topic, this was just a great picture form this weekend and I had to share it. No one is quite sure the masked man is next to Santa, but he has a grin on his face and he is having fun fishing on the big pond.

Now back to topic, here is a picture of the new brood ponds from the hilltop on a beautiful November day. I just love this time of the year!!

All in all, this has been a great year, yes there have been some challenges, but the blessings far outweigh the bad.

I'll write again as needed to document our progress.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I've been on that hill! Beautiful place!
Your lake is bigger than mine & I may never get over that!
laugh

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Yep, it's a beautiful place

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That guy standing next to Al with the fly rod in his hand doesn't fool anyone. wink grin

Looking good!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Scott, he wasn't hiding his face, he was passing out. I had just told him the Japanese swim bait I hung up and lost at Brian's cost $50.

I did catch him before he hit the clay.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
laugh

Using the cheap ones, huh?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Just get him to roll cast up there with a big LMB rat bug and snag it out of the mess.

Beautiful Nov property review !!! Next one has to be Fecundtopia .

OP Offline
Mark, you are welcome anytime!!

Eric, I hope they ALL are!!

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
OP Offline
Okay, this week I got started on the solar powered water heater for Georgetopia. Round one is a DC electric water heater. I used a replacement water heater element. My solar panels puts out about 350 watts. Holding the heater in my hand, I can feel it warming up very quickly so I know it is working!! By the way, it was an overcast day as I tested. In full sunlight, I should be getting even better power.

I also tested it in a bucket of pond water and it raised the temperature over 6 degrees in less than five minutes with the same overcast!!

I then added legs and put it in the pond. It is not quite in the deep end, but when I get a chance to get better wire, I'll move it to the center of the deep end. Hopefully this will create a warmer sanctuary for the Tilapia. Time will tell.

Currently Georgetopia is about 60 degrees while Moretopia is at 58.5 degrees, so I should be able to tell if the heater is doing any good other than making me feel better!!

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
R
RER Offline
R
Im very interested in how your heater performs..

I live right on the edge of the climate range for some of my pond fish. Every few years we will get cold enough to effect them. I really only need to a couple degrees when this happens.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You do know that with that heater and a tarp (photo period control) you can manufacture some extra spawns !

OP Offline
Bobby, I'll be keeping a log to see if there is any detectable increase in water temperature in Georgetopia. I figure after a few samples I should know if it is doing me any good. The coolest part is that it is easy to add more solar power to the setup if needed. And of course, I'll post the results good or bad as I know them.

Eric, I am all ears!! What do I need to do? Will it work for FHM, BG and Tilapia? Is there a PDF available I can download and read about this?

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
L
L
Wouldn't it be more energy efficient to make a convective water heater (aka solar pool heater) like some folks have here in the northeast on roofs? Solar to electric to heat is sort of an expensive way to skin that cat, unless you have solar just kicking around...

OP Offline
Liq,

I had the same idea, but I found out that I needed a little more time to finish that project and I do have solar just hanging around. They are the solar panels I used fo the solar powered sprinklers two and three summers ago and they are the same ones I use for the solar powered aerator this summer in Georgetopia. I simply had not taken them down because I was going to use them to power the pump. BUT, I did not have the time to finish up the heater, so I went electric. Here is what I have so far:

I started out okay, but the project grew faster than I expected. The 2x4s are 8 and 12 feet long. And that is 1000 feet of 1/2 inch drip tubing.

Then as you see, I figured out that I was going to need more support structure on the bottom, so I added two more 12 footers on the 2 and 6 foot lines. That worked great!

That is Blue Thunder in the background!

I'll need another day to finish the job and get it into place. I'll also need the strong arms of my son to help me get it into place!! But for now, I need to finish the spindle to unspool the drip tubing "nicely." I also need to get some fasteners to hold the tubing in place once it is on the OSB.

Side note:

Mark, I used the lure you gave me last year and caught this "butterball" It was 17 3/4 inches long and weighed 3lbs 12oz making it around 120 RW!!

I only had a minute or two to wet a hook, but I had to try!!

More on the solar as I get things done!!

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Side note:
Mark, I used the lure you gave me last year and caught this "butterball"

Ha Ha....you just made my day Brian!
Even had my brother in my office showing him.
That's awesome.
The H&H for me has always been a winner
over all those fancy more expensive spinner baits!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
HF check this next PB issue for the Cutting Edge. I can send you some stuff.

OP Offline
Mark, smiles are what its all about.

Eric, I can't wait!!

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Thanks for the report, Brian. This is really interesting...

Just do it...
OP Offline
Well I got back to the farm after the big freeze and what a shock. The rains, ice and sleet brought up the water level by over 6 inches in the big pond making the pool there the highest it has ever been. With all that water, I found this waiting for me in the Topia area.

I call it Pantopia. Georgetopia and Moretopia merged. Extratopia was still separated, but not by much. I also see that the overflow for extratopia is about a foot and a half below the inflow level from Moretopia, so that is good to learn as well.

Here is a different look.

After several hours of pumping, Georgetopia and Moretopia were separated. I now know that syphon pipes are in the future for the Topias. Also, Texas hunter feeders don't float. I fear I'll have some cleanup to tend to later this month.

The solar heater did work, but not well enough. I fear that the icy weather most likely took out the Tilapia. I'll know more when I get back out to the farm and pull the seine net through Georgetopia. I did not have time to work a net as I got the opportunity to try out my new skinning knife unexpectedly!!

Turns out Otters are easier than Beavers to skin.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Page 14 of 22 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 21 22

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails