Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,008
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Shorthose, Sunil, anthropic, Boondoggle, canyoncreek, Dave Davidson1, esshup, bmicek, Don Kennedy), 1,096 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#3543 01/13/06 09:07 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A couple of months ago, a couple of threads visited the use of geotextile fabrics. I had a distinct interest in planning a beach area building beach area thread , and Ryan Freeze got me started on landscape fabric...more specifically geotextile fabric. I have completed some preliminary research and want to share the findings.
The link that Ryan started me with is a manufacturer of this product: Propex geosynthetics . The website is somewhat overwhelming to me, so I reached out to a sales rep for help. He gave me a number of distributor options to consider for engineering advice, but steered me to Contech Co , recommending that I talk with the Metamora, IL office. I called and was immediately directed to Jim who absolutely floored me with service, attention, knowledge of product and application, and recommendations. Here is what I learned.
Regarding the beach area, specifically the water portion, definitely non-woven fabric. It will provide the separation between the sand and the soil and still allow some water permeation (the woven is less permeable and creates a sliding surface between the 2 substrates). He recommends the 801-NW. Rolls are available at 15' x 300'. To visualize, imagine a big roll of heavy duty felt. In my case, they can be delivered to one of his distributors fairly close to my home at a price of $325 each for my will-call. Then we turned the conversation to an area where I will have seasonal run-off coming down a small swale about 10 feet wide and 50 feet long and dumping into the pond. I eluded to a plan of perhaps using a strip of the same 801 NW and covering it with rip-rap. He said that it would work fine, but the state actually prescribes (for their road projects...like the rip-rap storm channels coming off of road over-passes) the 861 NW with a 20" thick layer of rip-rap. He also calculated a quick price for my project to do the same and the number was scary for such a small area. He immediately followed this presentation up by adding that Contech always strives to recommend a "green" option whenever possible, and he introduced me to Turf Reinforcement Mats (TRM). He specifically recommended a product called Turflok 435, aka; TRM 45. It is sold in rolls 6.5' wide x 138.5' long. Very simply, you seed the swale and lay the mat on top and let it grow through. The mat becomes bonded with the soil and the entire zone becomes a permanent non-erosive carpet of whatever grassy vegetation was planted. The rolls don't come wider; you lay them side by side to gain width. He mentioned some measurement of water passage that they will handle (I want to remember something like 125' of water per second or minute...?), but said that in layman's terms, it would be like a whitewater stream. The rolls to the same distribution point would cost $300 each. That, plus some appropriate seed, make this option a very affordable alternative and much easier on the eyes. I couldn't help but start to think about not only a couple of run-off swales, but what of the advantages in the emergency spillway?
Well, that's my school-day at Geotextile -101. Has anybody used this same product? Are the claims valid? I am really encouraged by the Turflok product...sounds eco-friendly, effective, and cost efficient.

#3544 01/13/06 10:11 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Sounds like a good product. However for seeding and preventing erosion I personally feel I get a bigger bang for my buck with 300 foot 6 foot wide rolls of burlap for just over $100.00 from this place

http://www.daybag.com/info/contact.html

I seed and then lay it on the steep banks of the ponds (1:1 slope) and anchor with staples. Grass comes right up through it and it decomposes in a year or two. You can have a gully washer and you'll hardly get any wash underneath whatsoever. Only way to go with seeding the banks of a new pond IMHO.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#3545 01/14/06 06:59 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
CB1,
The burlap idea sounds great for erosion protection during grass establishment, and the cost savings are hard to beat. Thanks for the tip. The TRM matting is more of a permanent barrier that does not decompose, acting as a reinforcement structure within the roots and soil.
(used to be called TRM matting; now Contech calls it Landlok Turf Reinforcement Mats) I can see use of burlap at the steep pond edges and the TRM matting in the areas of focused high volume water passage.

Last edited by Brettski; 12/31/08 07:00 PM. Reason: update the Contech link
#3546 03/01/06 08:09 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Hmmm... I'm wondering which might be the best way for my pond dam. I don't remember width... Maybe 700'. It is getting some wind/wave action. I had thought rip rap; but haven't checked into pricing.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
Concrete pond construction