Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,953
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
4 members (phinfan, DrLuke, catscratch, jludwig), 1,408 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Jake- Plan sounds like a good start. As F-n-C wisely noted, TGC are usually not added until you see what species of weed colonizes and how many weeds need to be controlled. IT is good to always have some vegetation (15%-25% coverage) as competition to FA algae and habitat for fish and many invertebrates that inhabit weed beds. Adding TGC right away prevents any vegetation from colonizing and most or all nutrients will be utilized by FA due to no other plant competition, thus the algae grows unchecked and abundantly. Then you are continuously fighting filamentous algae problems. TGC do not eat very much FA - not a preferred food.

Considering your forage base I like the SMB as initial predators and if they do not perform well then add the LMB who will soon become dominant after several spawns.

Thank you Bill Cody for the additional considerations on TGC. I won't rush into adding these. Another vote for the SMB. This helps! Thanks Bill C.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Since nobody else has said it. Hello, my name is Earl.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
F
F
Ed, if you are worried about regular FA in the spring and want to go a natural route versus chemical , you might consider tilapia.

Also, to your stocking plan, it might be fun to throw in a couple HSB at the time of stocking predators.

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I am definitely concerned about FA in the spring and certainly would be interested in getting some tilapia to help control the FA as a natural solution. I can take over the entire pond very quickly. Have you tried to use tilapia for this purpose, and if so, was it successful?

Thanks again Fish n Chips!

Ed

F
F
Yes. Tilapia has been proven to be very effective on FA. Lots of old threads discussing it.

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
What are your goals from the pond. 1/10th of an acre, limits some of your options but you can still produce a quality fishery in a pond of that size if you intensively manage it...

In smaller ponds, I am a big fan of fish that don't reproduce or their reproduction is very limited. Species that will readily consume artificial feed are very helpful as well.

Great species for smaller ponds IMO are:

HSB
HB
CC
RES
feed trained YP
feed trained SMB
and sometimes even WE
trout(especially rainbow trout)
You can also consider tilapia for a natural algae control.

I have been thinking a lot about my pond plan and re-reading the many suggestions I have received to my posts. I think our plan will be to primarily hand-feed our fish and let them grow, restock as necessary, while holding off on the predators. I particularly like your suggestion of limited reproduction and feed trained (which is what we like to do). I assume you meant HB to be HBG. I think I will hold off on the CC and maybe put in tilapia and HGC next year to control algae and plant growth.

(Note: I have been fishing the pond for the past week with worms on small hooks without any bites to help confirm I don't have any fish, except the FHM I added a month ago).

Fall stocking:
HSB
HBG
RES
feed trained YP
feed trained SMB
RBT
FHM
GSH

Spring Stocking:
Tilapia
HGC
FHM
GSH

CJBS2003, thanks for the suggestions! Fish n Chips also suggested the RBT (fun fishing).

I could use some suggestions on sizes and quantities for the fall stocking for my 0.1 ac, max depth of 7'. Help please!

F
F
Well, I still think you need to proceed cautiously on stocking ANY Grass Carp. The GSH need vegetation, so you might be counterproductive between the two fish. What do others think?

In regards to stocking numbers and sizes. I would imagine your going to have to find out what sizes are available from suppliers. Most of the time you just can't go to a supplier and say I need this, and they have it. You need to work around what they have. Having said that, the two that will probably give you the most trouble finding are the pellet fed YP and SMB. Right now, Fender's have YP 4-6" pellet trained, but not the SMB. They have 3" SMB, just not pellet trained. Jump to next year when you need them, and it may be totally different. Perhaps it may not be that big of a deal if the SMB are feed trained, the pros will have to help you with that. Then of course numbers stocked are based on size of fish available.

PS... I assume your stocking dates are;
spring of 2014
fall of 2014

Some might accidentally think you mean this fall. smile

Last edited by fish n chips; 09/30/13 05:19 PM.
E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Well, I still think you need to proceed cautiously on stocking ANY Grass Carp. The GSH need vegetation, so you might be counterproductive between the two fish. What do others think?

In regards to stocking numbers and sizes. I would imagine your going to have to find out what sizes are available from suppliers. Most of the time you just can't go to a supplier and say I need this, and they have it. You need to work around what they have. Having said that, the two that will probably give you the most trouble finding are the pellet fed YP and SMB. Right now, Fender's have YP 4-6" pellet trained, but not the SMB. They have 3" SMB, just not pellet trained. Jump to next year when you need them, and it may be totally different. Perhaps it may not be that big of a deal if the SMB are feed trained, the pros will have to help you with that. Then of course numbers stocked are based on size of fish available.

PS... I assume your stocking dates are;
spring of 2014
fall of 2014

Some might accidentally think you mean this fall. smile

I was thinking this fall, 2013 and spring 2014. Would that be a problem?

F
F
I don't know. Esshup, CJB, Bill C, Ewest????

Typically you let your forage spawn like mad, and then add predators 6 months to a year later. However all your stocked predators "might" be feed trained, so perhaps it don't matter as much.

Here's my "guess"

Fall 2013:
FHM
GSH?
RBT

Spring 2014 after RBT are gone:
FHM
GSH
Tilapia
RES

Fall 2014:
HBG
YP
SMB
HSB

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Minnows this fall will likely be mostly trout food with maybe 25% being survivors at spring spawn time depending on habitat and how much and how often trout are fed. Trout will be very active during winter and other fish will be slower and easier prey items.

My experience is if you add the following in spring after removing most of the trout it will work reasonably well: FHM, GSH, HBG, pellet trained perch and tilapia. HBG and pellet trained perch (2"-3" or 4"-6") will not eat significant numbers of minnows shiners. I stocked this spring (0.2ac) adult pellet eating YP (8"-10")with minnows and late Sept there are lots and lots of small minnows and tilapia that were apparently ignored by the welfare YP. This way you get some good growth from the HBG and YP before the predators are added. YP & HBG will them spawn in spring 2015 and provide added forage for the fall 2014 stocked SMB,HSB. If you can't get pellet trained YP then wait until fall for the perch, SMB and HSB. You may like the put & take trout so well you forgo the other predators. Trout are fun and grow fast during cool-cold waters.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/01/13 11:21 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks Bill Cody and Fish n Chips for the stocking suggestions by seasons (2013, 2014, and 2015) and sizing guidance.

As suggested, I will be stocking the RBT this fall, and stocking FHM, GSH, HBG, pellet trained YP (yum) and tilapia in the spring. As Bill suggested here, I may really like the put and take of the RBT, and forego the predators. I also recall Fish and Chips' suggestion in earlier posts to stock the RBT in the fall.

Thanks for helping me with my stocking plans!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Please keep us advised as to your pond adventures and stocking results.

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
What are your goals from the pond. 1/10th of an acre, limits some of your options but you can still produce a quality fishery in a pond of that size if you intensively manage it...

In smaller ponds, I am a big fan of fish that don't reproduce or their reproduction is very limited. Species that will readily consume artificial feed are very helpful as well.

Great species for smaller ponds IMO are:

HSB
HB
CC
RES
feed trained YP
feed trained SMB
and sometimes even WE
trout(especially rainbow trout)
You can also consider tilapia for a natural algae control.

I keep coming back to your response to my question. What are our goals... I initially thought rainbow trout, but after discussions with my family, it will not work out for us. YP is our current direction/goal.

That said, a dedicated YP pond has everyone's interest. We all love lake perch!!! I have read here on PB that it may be best to stock all females. What would be be the recommended path forward for an all perch pond (0.13 acre/7'deep)? I only have a few dozen FHM in the pond now.

Do I stock YP now?, or do I wait until spring to stock YP?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
For all females you want to stock in spring before they spawn. At that time females will be bulging pig fat and males will be easily squirting white milt. Stock only those belly bulging perch and ignore obvious males and all those intermediate that you are unsure of. When in doubt leave it out. If you are not buying pellet trained perch and the stockers will live on bugs and minnows, then in 0.13 ac initially stock 15-25 YP. I am doing the same thing in a 0.2 ac pond. In March I will catch by angling and trapping 20 females 5"-8" (100/ac, max 150/ac) and put them in an all natural food pond.

If you can by pellet trained female perch, then you can start by adding up to 200-300 per acre for beginners. Aeration allows higher stocking densities. Many fish farms will not sell just females. I often buy mixed YP, raise them in a cage until the next spawn season, sort and stock females and fillet the males.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/17/13 08:30 PM.

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
For all females you want to stock in spring before they spawn. At that time females will be bulging pig fat and males will be easily squirting white milt. Stock only those belly bulging perch and ignore obvious males and all those intermediate that you are unsure of. When in doubt leave it out. If you are not buying pellet trained perch and the stockers will live on bugs and minnows, then in 0.13 ac initially stock 15-25 YP. I am doing the same thing in a 0.2 ac pond. In March I will catch by angling and trapping 20 females 5"-8" (100/ac, max 150/ac) and put them in an all natural food pond.

If you can by pellet trained female perch, then you can start by adding up to 200-300 per acre for beginners. Aeration allows higher stocking densities. Many fish farms will not sell just females. I often buy mixed YP, raise them in a cage until the next spawn season, sort and stock females and fillet the males.

Bill, thanks for the advice. BTW, since you asked, I do have aeration (Vertex).

I found a lot of additional information on "YP only pond" on this thread which includes your responses as well as others. Great thread.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=337773&Board=5

Thanks! Ed

Last edited by edc10; 10/18/13 03:48 PM.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by DrLuke - 04/25/24 01:05 PM
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build