Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,938
Posts557,717
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
6 members (Theo Gallus, Snipe, Lake8, Theeck, Augie, FishinRod), 812 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bobby, how good are you with a cast net? Think you can get some when they are at the feeder?

Anything big feeding that would tear up the cast net?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
Bobby I have a 40' sane. We need to get together and see if that will help. I may be coming down to your area next week or so to look a large wood chipper. If i do I will let you know.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Cray,
I would love to run a seine, it would help remove the koi and might pull up some of the fish I have not been able to catch and see how and if they are doing. I have some structure to go around but I know where it all is.

Let me know when and if you are coming down. hopefuly it will be during a warm spell and not a cold snap. Ill try and recruit a litle help.

you can PM me when you know more about your schedual and we can try to figure something out. thank tons...

esshup,
I have castnetted a few, Actually the koi tore a hole in my net and I lost a few from the net. That was in the summer, they don't seem to be as strong and wild in the colder water so ill try again soon. Also if I goof the first toss they get spooked and stay away from the feed for period, thats what happened before. Smart buggers they are!

Last edited by BobbyRice; 01/12/15 09:44 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
C
C
Sounds good. I will let you know. I should know something in a few days.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Bob:

I know you'll need a pre-importation permit - those are available free from the state. you need to apply for one at least 2 weeks before you plan on moving the fish.

I'm not 100% sure if every fish that is brought into the state has to be given a clean bill of health for VHS or not.

Call or e-mail the State Board of Animal Health to double check.

Scott if they are not on the VHS susceptible list there is no preimportation permit required. That is unless something has changed I don't know about.

Brook trout are an example. Not on that list so no pre-importation permit required.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cecil, didn't that change last year when the regs changed here in Indiana? About the time the Feds dropped their support of the vets taking samples. (i.e. Jennifer)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil, didn't that change last year when the regs changed here in Indiana? About the time the Feds dropped their support of the vets taking samples. (i.e. Jennifer)

Hmmm... that is sounding vaguely familiar. I'll have to check my emails from Jennifer and and the email I sent you. blush

Damn it's hell getting old!

They say people get old in two ways: The mind stays sharp and the body goes, or the mind goes and the body stays in relatively good shape. I think I will be the latter!

Felt like an ornery ol' cuss today and blasted Purdue on the Ohio list serve for not making aquaculture more of a priority. I'm sure it will come back to bite me.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/13/15 09:38 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil, did ya say "damn it's hell getting cold or damn it's getting cold as hell"? Aw forget it, my mind dulled yrs ago and the body is going fast, no thanks to the new cleaning lady.
As far as bringin fish across the In border I appreciate your and Scotts concern but I intend to entice Rex to meet me in Lousiville and let him bring em in.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
There ya go Bob - let Rex get in trouble!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
ok, back to the pond

PondBoss Forum member "CRAY" was nice enough to offer himself and his 40' seine net to help me remove some of my koi. We are planning on doing it tomorrow (saturday). It has not been warm recently and the water is hanging right at or just above 60 so it could be a little cold. We will try to do it with out getting totally wet a frozen.

I will take as many pics and video as I can to share.

With any luck we will be able to seine up somthing unusual and verify its condition and or existance in the pond.

Stand By....

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
C
C
Dumb question... Do birds of prey not target Koi in ponds? It seems controlling their population is tough, no natural predators, yet they are easy to spot given their coloration. I just wondered if osprey, eagle and whatever predators you have in your area target them?

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
they are very pretty watch but are eating me out of house and home and stirring things up too much.

wish I had a market to sell 20+ inch koi

S
S
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice

Bobby, here is what your Tarpon should look like when they grow a little. This was kind of a small one, only about 4'. We see some pushing 6' but not lately. Wife is in second picture.

Not very good pictures. I just use a GoPro with no lighting. Wife is the better photographer but she mostly focuses on macro. Fish was probably at about 70-80 feet deep. Under water they look like they are chrome plated.

Pretty spectacular fish. I've been diving with as many as 40 in a small cove. They would just part as we swam through the group. Cool

Attached Images
Tarpon 4 ft Bonaire 1-15.jpg.jpg Tarpon with Carolynn in background Bonaire 1-2015.jpg.jpg Tarpon 5' Salt Pier Bonaire 2015.jpg Tarpon Salt Pier.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 01/23/15 08:54 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Apologies for the sidetrack.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Snrub, those are cool tarpon pics.
If I can get water clearing I could do that.

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Ok here is the big update from seine net saturday.....

Fish are smarter than people....

All we pulled up was some gams and a bunch of baby CNBG.

Not even an adult CNBG, you think at least we would have gotten one of those!

Three positive things from the day though .

1. We were able Castnet three large koi out by sight casting with the cast net. Bringing the total koi removed to 10.

2. Learned the CNBG are reproducing well, several differant size class fingerlings pulled up. Some seemed very young.

3. Got to meet and spend the day with fellow pondbosser "cray" and his family, turned out to be one of the most enjoyable days I've had in awhile regardless of our lack of reportings I know you all were all hoping for..

Nothing like goofing off around the pond with someone that enjoys it as much as you do, that's for sure.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 01/18/15 08:51 AM.

S
S
Sounds like a fun day Bobby.

Your pond is an interesting one and I always read about it any time I see a new post. Something quite different from the average pond.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bobby, seining is an art, and you have to have the proper sized brush for the canvas. The more that you do it, the better you'll get at doing it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Bobby, seining is an art, and you have to have the proper sized brush for the canvas. The more that you do it, the better you'll get at doing it.

Kinda like making coffee!

C
C
Got in this afternoon from our trip down to Bobby's . My family and I realy enjoyed meeting bobby and his clan. Bobby realy does have a great BOW and although we didn't pull any of those unusual fish that he has stocked in his pond out, We did realy have a great time. He has a great plan laid out and I believe that as he moves forward we will be amazed by what we see. I brought back three beautiful koi and got them into my ornamental pond this afternoon. They seem to be adjusting to there change in latitude very well.

Bobby it was a blast!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Bros, you can't get together and not post a single picture.

Weak.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Sunil, your right.
I was thinking the same thing. Clint got a few pics of the big fat koi we removed. Perhaps he will post them. As we didn't pull up any Fish up and didn't think you wanted to just see my ugly mug. I didn't post any .

R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I spent a nice evening at the pond. Bread balls and Bream hooks seemed to work well for the koi, Landed 5 , three butter fly and two short finned. I removed the short finned bringing the total koi removed up to 12 so far.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 01/20/15 09:00 PM.

C
C
Ok I finally got pics on ipad so here they are.

Attached Images
image.jpg image.jpg
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Super pic of you and your son

Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/16/24 02:35 PM
Braggin Time
by Lake8 - 04/16/24 02:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:49 PM
'Nother New Guy
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:42 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday