Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
10 members (Sunil, gehajake, CentexSaj, Augie, catscratch, wps456, teehjaeh57, Shorthose, Tinylake, Fishingadventure), 904 guests, and 235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#350278 09/08/13 09:09 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello. I am new to the forum and am looking for some advise. Just bought property with a 1acre plus pond here in northeast Pennsylvania (specifically luzerne county) The pond appears to be man made some time ago (50+years) and has a healthy population of bluegills, sunnys, catfish as well as largemouth bass. Also turtles and an infestation of frogs smile .

I have measured the depth and the deepest part is about 5 1/2 feet. I would like to deepen it significantly to help support the bass population -I am thinking to somewhere between 12-15 feet. The pond is adjacent to what I would classify a seasonal wetlands as well as a few swamps. I have been doing some research on siphoning and like this a method of lowering the water level.

What are the likely governmental challenges ?

Is the sediment that we are removing useful in some way? Is it something that is fertile and can be used as a topsoil ?

Is there a chance that significant deepening could cause a leak? I have also been told that one leak solution is a a bentonite lining. Any problem with this ?

What is the best time of year for this type of project ?

If we drop he pond significantly below the water level of the swamp, is there a chance the swamp will dry out and return to open water rather than sediment and muck when the water level is returned to the pond?

Sorry if these questions are repetitive, this is all new to me.

Thanks

SW

F
F
Originally Posted By: Scott Williams
Hello. I am new to the forum and am looking for some advise. Just bought property with a 1acre plus pond here in northeast Pennsylvania (specifically luzerne county) The pond appears to be man made some time ago (50+years) and has a healthy population of bluegills, sunnys, catfish as well as largemouth bass. Also turtles and an infestation of frogs smile .

I have measured the depth and the deepest part is about 5 1/2 feet. I would like to deepen it significantly to help support the bass population -I am thinking to somewhere between 12-15 feet. The pond is adjacent to what I would classify a seasonal wetlands as well as a few swamps. I have been doing some research on siphoning and like this a method of lowering the water level.

What are the likely governmental challenges ? Definitely check into what is possible before you get your hopes up.

Is the sediment that we are removing useful in some way? Is it something that is fertile and can be used as a topsoil ? Yes, good after it breaks down. That is if its organic sediment. If its something like sand, then its just a fill material.

Is there a chance that significant deepening could cause a leak? I have also been told that one leak solution is a a bentonite lining. Any problem with this ? Yes, could leak. If you go as far as your thinking with this, the best is to have it compacted properly. Don't rely on bentonite.

What is the best time of year for this type of project ? Shortest answer, when it's the driest smile Good luck if you can predict the weather eek

If we drop he pond significantly below the water level of the swamp, is there a chance the swamp will dry out and return to open water rather than sediment and muck when the water level is returned to the pond? Most likely the plants will return in full force. The muck that is left will slide down into the deeper areas if they are given a chance.

Sorry if these questions are repetitive, this is all new to me.

Thanks

SW

I hope someone else will chime in with the best place for you to get government help.

Feel free to ask for more questions or more detailed responses.

......by the way, welcome to PONDBOSS.

Last edited by fish n chips; 09/09/13 11:25 AM.
M
M
I'm in upstate NY, did some research into what it takes to "legally" renovate or alter my 3/4 acre private pond. I have areas of low or wetlands by plant or soil type not so much in a DEC zone so I figured I better check into it in case a neighbor complained. US army corps is who you go to first. I was told by them - the US army COE basically if any water has the ability to make it to a US water way and or there is any amount or any kind of ferns, cat tails, red maples, damp or wet or soggy soil or any type of wetland plants anytime of the year you have to apply for a permit. If you are in the middle of no where it might be worth taking a gamble I guess. They told me I can apply for a "joint application" basically a statement saying I have permition do do what I want but it's not an easy process and your better off hiring a consultant.

As far as sludge, got plent of it. Been sucking out with a 2 inch trash pump hoping to get good garden soil out of it.

Good luck

Mario
Rexford NY

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward