Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
10 members (Boondoggle, eaunatural, Theo Gallus, catscratch, emactxag, Bruno616, simon, Bigtrh24, AlexJ, J. E. Craig), 942 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
G
Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: gully washer
JKB, I have just about enough knowledge of electricity to be considered dangerous. So, I have a question. On a long run, such as the 700' in question, would it be OK to install a ground rod for the breaker box, at the end of the run, instead of running a 700' ground wire? If so, is there a downside to doing so? I may eventually run power to my tractor shed, and was just wondering.

You can, no downside, but you will have to treat it like a new service entering your shed with a main breaker type panel and all that stuff. I would want a main breaker anyway. May cost more for installation tho.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, but check with your local code first. Michigan is really strict, and wouldn't be a problem here.

Not saying that it wouldn't be where you are at, but check first! Some States are nut's when it comes to NEC Code, and MI isn't one of them super nutty ones.

Thanks, for the reply. For some reason, I was thinking that it was best to install both, a ground wire in the run, and a ground rod at the end of run. I have a hard time grasping the concept of electricity. confused

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: gully washer
Thanks, for the reply. For some reason, I was thinking that it was best to install both, a ground wire in the run, and a ground rod at the end of run. I have a hard time grasping the concept of electricity. confused

Typically you would run a ground wire and bond it (ground rod/rods) at the other end of a long run. Most electricians would probably do it that way. Enhanced lightning protection if a ground strike occurs along the run. A good grounding system is also required for GFCI stuff to work as well.

All depends on what's been adopted in your jurisdiction. If you need a permit, you'll have to follow what they say.

G
G
Originally Posted By: JKB

Typically you would run a ground wire and bond it (ground rod/rods) at the other end of a long run. Most electricians would probably do it that way. Enhanced lightning protection if a ground strike occurs along the run. A good grounding system is also required for GFCI stuff to work as well.

So that's what bonding means! I had a neighbor, who is an electrician, which has since moved, who helped me install the service for a workshop and cabin. He mentioned, that we were bonding, and I thought he was talking about our friendship...lol....Thanks, for clearing that up.

I'll follow suit, and bond the ground in the tractor shed, and install GFCI as well.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
laugh wink

Last edited by JKB; 09/20/13 05:51 AM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
So......what's new?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

O
Omaha Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Have a call into a well guy to run some numbers for me. What I need. Public power wasn't an option here. Running PVC or wire, I'd prefer to have power at the pond for future usage.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Have a call into a well guy to run some numbers for me. What I need. Public power wasn't an option here. Running PVC or wire, I'd prefer to have power at the pond for future usage.

Pulling power is the way to go for long term goals.

Been snooping around Nebraska and it looks like they have adopted NEC2011 (National Electric Code that came out in 2010) Seems to be recent tho. Douglas county's website still states NEC2008, but certain links go to Lincoln.

There is a 21 page doc on electric code which outlines, defines and makes a few exceptions, but is quite strict!

I would consult with a local electrical contractor and get the scoop on this from them.

NEC2014 is hitting the street's in a few weeks, and from what I "have heard", it has some humdinger's that will drain pretty much everyone's wallet! A few States will adopt this pretty quickly, but most will be a number of year's out.

It is for safety tho, and would like to give the Firefighters, Ambulance Crew, ER and Peace Officers a break!

People die every day from red necking or DIY electrical installations. Don't have to happen tho!

Last edited by JKB; 09/25/13 06:43 PM.
O
Omaha Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I am definitely going with a professional. I ran across unexpected things at my house that weren't up to code a few years ago when we had a tree take out a power line. It was extremely frustrating and costly. And due to prior residents not doing things the right way.

So, apparently business is good in the well community. Most are booked up till winter. I do have a guy coming out Sunday to look things over with me.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Equipemnt is costly, keeping new players out of the business, and I think that "no water" situations are addressed first. Punching in a new well for a pond isn't high on their priority list.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Omaha Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Yep. Sounded like irrigation was their primary focus at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy