Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#349748 09/04/13 05:41 AM
OP Offline
Hello all,
I just bought a house with a 2 year old 3/4 acre pond on the property. I have big plans for this pond and would like some feedback and help as I go. Although this is my first large pond, I have extensive closed system aquatic and marine experience. I've been doing this sort of thing for as long as i can remember so I know the basics of nutrient import and export and can recite the nitrogen cycle in my sleep. Im good with water chemistry, and fish husbandry. My speciality is large saltwater reef aquariums, but i have done small water gardens and large planted aquariums. I used to design, install, and maintain reef aquariums for businesses and people with a lot of money. I'm looking forward to this new challenge and appreciate all of your feedback in advance.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Welcome, you're among like minded addicts.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
F
F
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm from northeast Ohio too, good to see another one. PM me with your city location if you wish. You just might be my neighbor!!!! This forum has a lot to offer, and your background sounds interesting too. Glad you found us. Let us know if we can be of help.

Jim

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Welcome Otter. Your experience will be a very welcome and unique perspective here on the forum. Looking forward to hearing more from you. What more can you tell us about the pond?

L
L
Welcome to the forums!

Before you know it you will be spending a lot of time underwater with your goggles on enjoying your "mega aquarium".

I have shied away from marine aquariums since I am not one of those wealthy sorts, but have had plenty of freshwater aquariums over the years, including a nice 150 gallon discus aquarium with breeding fish. However I am not the best caretaker of fish, being somewhat distracted with a million other hobbies and interests, so I have cut back in recent years.

OP Offline
Addict is a nice way to put it Bob-O, glad to hear I'm in like company. Most people just don't understand the obsession. Fish-n-chips, I will pm you, good to know your close by. Thanks Omaha, I will give more info as soon as I can sit down at a computer ( I'm at work on lunch ). I've already been snorkeling a bunch liquidsquid, I have about 5 foot visibility. The swimming season is quickly coming to an end though. Unless of course I put on the wetsuit. wink I have a feeling this pond will take the place of my aquarium habit, until of course I can set up a new aquarium too smile thanks all for the welcome.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome!

Somewhere, somehow I think I saw where a person set up a pond right next to the house, and had glass in part of the basement wall that looked into the pond. For the life of me, I can't remember where I saw it tho.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
And what about Nate's special dock he built, where the folks could jump in the water with airlines and stay under to feed the fish. Wish I could find that link again.....

K
K
welcome from another northeast buckeye..
my "pond" is a kiddie pool in my basement with yp, bg and tilapia

F
F
Keith, I just realized you were from Fairport! That's pretty close too!!!! About an hour. I have been fishing up that way many times.

Last edited by fish n chips; 09/04/13 05:00 PM.
OP Offline
Ok, here is a little more about the pond. It is about 3/4 acres and shaped like a kidney stretched wide. It is mud bottom, and is fed by nearby wetlands that spill over into the pond when there is heavy rain. Because the pond is only 2 years old, it is going through some growing pains. Filamentous Algae is a challenge that needs addressed. There were no fish in the pond so I added Fat Head Minnows who immediately started breeding. There are a number of species of frogs and many of their tadpoles. We have a Redshoulder Hawk that gets a bullfrog now and then and a Kingfisher that feeds here. I also have at least one painted turtle. There are also crayfish present and aquatic insects everywhere. Aquatic plants are not prominent, which I like, because that means I get to choose. Although, I do have cattails I need to control. I don't want to get rid of any right now though because that is the major plant I have competing with the algae for nutrients. I have added 5 small spread hardy water lilies a couple types of Irus and some blue Pickerel Rush to start. I will add a lot more plants in the spring. Right now I am using a floating 1/2-3/4HP fountain for water circulation, but I want to change that next year. I want to pump water from the deeper end up a hill and drain it back into a heavily planted shallower end with waterfalls and shallow pools for bog plants. I may possibly add another pump to the other end if I still have O2 issues. I just don't like the fountain look. I also have a high dock with a diving board and ladder and I will be adding a rope swing smile I'm still a kid at heart! Let me know what you guys think. Would love to hear some feedback.

OP Offline
Oh yeah, the pond is between 11ft and 12ft deep at its deepest point depending on rain.

F
F
Does the wetlands area have any types of fish that can flow into your pond?

Do you know that there is a google tool that can measure your pond size? Called something like planimeter (sp?). Link http://acme.com/planimeter/

What might be your longterm priority/goal for the pond? Plants, fish type, swimming, other?

Last edited by fish n chips; 09/04/13 08:06 PM.
OP Offline
I'm not sure of any fish in the wetlands. I really haven't gotten back there to sample the area. It's not my property and I don't want to start off on the wrong foot with neighbors. Not quite sure who owns it yet. It's a heavily wooded area.
My long term plans are kind of a do it all kind of pond. I would like to combine water garden, swimming hole, and some fishing. I know this will be a challenge, and I'm aware I will have to compromise some things. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

OP Offline
I tried that link and couldn't get it to work. The idea is really cool, so I will try again later.

F
F
Don't know why the link wouldn't work. Perhaps you need to download a google something?, or try a separate search on your own and it will be more operable?

The cattails are a problem for most people, I have been fortunate enough to not have them. I guess they spread like crazy. I would definitely look into ways to keep them at bay and replace with something else. Lots of good plant guys here on the forum to steer you in the right direction on that.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Shouldn't have to download anything.

Try this link:

http://www.acme.com/planimeter/

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Ok, finally got the area website to work. Turns out it was my tablet, not the site. Anyway, the area that I was told was pretty off. It's .42 acres, not .75 frown here is a pic. from google maps when it was first filled a few years ago.

Here are a few more pics from the ground.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Compared to the size of the 'house lot' is looks a lot closer to 0.4 ac than 0.75. Don't believe what you were told for maximum and average depths. Go out an measure it with a rope attached to a weight such as a brick.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
OP Offline
According to the website it is .42 Bill. I initially questioned if it was really .75 like the owner said, but I had no real reference. I definitely believe the website size is more accurate. As for depth, I haven't gone out to get an average. My wild guess would be around 5 feet. I think the deepest is about 11 feet having swam to the bottom. It will probably be a little while before I know everything I need to know about the pond system. It's a learning process like everything else.

F
F
Its a nice looking pond. You at least don't have a lot of trees around it to be adding to a muck problem.

Most feel their ponds are bigger than reality. smile But good to know the real size when it comes to stocking and maintenance needs.

I agree with Bill, get out there and measure the depth. Either by boat or with line, sinker, and float. Diving could be deceptive too.

OP Offline
Well, I did overestimate the max depth. Turned out to be 9'10" when the pond is full. The good news is that I think I underestimated the average depth. I believe it is closer to 6' instead of 5'. Anyway, I wasn't all that far off. The pond has fluctuated about 1.5' over the summer and we have well water, so I was wondering if there is any way to add water via my well without spending a load of money. Any thoughts?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have my bladder tank in an outbuilding that has a basement so it doesn't freeze. I "T'd" off the outlet from the bladder tank, to ball valve, then to a "T" with a drain, and the other end of the "T" goes out of the building. A union, and another ball valve, and then the pipe transitions to roll flat discharge hose. I can regulate the amount of water pressure in the house by how far the ball valve is opened. The discharge hose goes to the pond.

I've got a couple hundred foor run to the pond, and the well max output is 27 gpm. I went from 1 1/4" at the bladder tank to 3" going to the pond. At one time I had 2" going to the pond, but found that it flowed more water with the 3" when I wanted it all going to the pond.

I disconnect it during the winter, removing the piping outside, and draining the pipe near to the bladder tank. One year I didn't remove the pipe, I just drained it and left it open, and water puddled up in the union, splitting it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM