Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick
18,512 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,985
Posts558,202
Members18,513
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, Bobbss, Boondoggle, FishinRod), 703 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
As some of you know I feed a lot of fish in my ponds as I raise them to sell once they reach trophy size. My largest pond which I call my "bass pond" is .62 acre and at this time I am feeding about 350 largemouth bass, 25 bluegills, a few dozen larger smallmouth and numerous smaller ones, and possibly up to about 100 yellow perch (I don't see most of the yellow perch but I assume they are on the periphery of the feeding area).

Problem is I used to maintain an excellent algae bloom about about 18 inches up until late last summer. This algae bloom was due to overflow from a nutrient rich trout pond, and of course nutrients from feeding all these fish.

Late last summer the algae bloom began to disappear and some type of filamentous algae went nuts on the bottom although it did not rise to the top like tyical filamentous algae. I'm sure I upset the balance of nutrients last year by taking out about 150 lbs. of larger pellet fed bass that were 2 1/2 to 4 lbs each. (Smaller ones are for taxidermy schools).

Anyway, this year Chara which has always been present is taking over as the nutrient uptaker although I am now seeing some floating filamentous algae around the edges too. I now have Chara that appears to be 3 feet thick on the bottom in some places with some small pondweed and sago pond weed. However small pondweed and sago pondweed are in the minority. Water clarity is at the max to the bottom of the pond of about 11 feet!

Raking Chara out as I do in my small trout pond is out of the question, so I assume my alternatives or killing off the macrophytes with herbicides and/or adding some grass carp to eliminate macrophytes and filamentous algae to get my algae bloom back. Am I right?

I do have about 10 ten to fourteen inch grass carp coming in a few weeks, although I am worried they may take to the floating feed and not eat much of the vegetation. (Hopefully the agressive bass will keep them from the feed) I am also concerned if they do eat the macrophytes, filamentous algae will take over instead of phytoplankton.

I seriously doubt I have access to tilapia up here.

Any thoughts?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
The grass carp will eat pellets but should fill up on plants since they graize all day long. You may have a point about the bass keeping them away from the feed; I never saw my GC eating feed until their second year here when they were 20" - 24" (scared off by other fish or just too many plants to eat to go hungry?).

I'm trying to figure out why I have virtually NO FA this year. It's not the weather because all the ponds around me have some and a lot of them are really loaded with it. I think it has to be the combination of fish I have in right now, somehow. I sure don't consider "No Filamentous Algae" a problem but would like to know why.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Theo,

Do you have something else taking up nutrients this year or something that is more common than it was previously like some kind of macrophytes or even an algae bloom?

Are you seeing more rooted plants or Chara?

Chara as you probably know is not a rooted plant although it appears to be. It's an advanced form of algae that absorbs nutrients through it's leaves and stems just like filamentous algae.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Cecil,
Along with yourself there are a few other fish folks mentioned on the below web site. Some of them advertise tilapia.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/fish/fishing/commfish.htm

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
Lunker
Lunker
Cecil, the only rooted plant I have in enough quantity to notice is (if I am ID'ing it correctly) "floating leaf pond weed." It is no more prevalent than last year, probably a little less.

Secchi depth is just a little less than last year (2005 range 1'7" to 2'6" vs 1'9" to 3' in 2004). A small part of that (maybe all of the change) I believe is suspended clay from the bottom, which this year has no FA on it. I am feeding about 2/3 what I did last year, in an effort to 1) limit CC growth somewhat (I figure to have about 30 left at the end of the fishing season and don't want them all to weigh 10 lbs) and 2) keep the CC a little hungry to try & aid GShiner predation. So the Cats (& also the Grass Carp) are hungrier this year; maybe they're eating the FA off the bottom before it can accumulate??? Also the first full year of BG/RES spawn is now a hungry horde of 2"-4" fingerlings (had a small, late spawn only in 2003).

I don't think the nutrient load entering the pond is much different this year (couple fewer cows, couple more horses "upstream"); we chemically fertilized one hayfield which is about 1/3 of the watershed, which we have never done before.

OTOH, if we didn't have anything to figure out, life would be a lot less interesting.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by FishinRod - 05/03/24 11:45 PM
RES are fanning out beds
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 09:04 PM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/03/24 08:52 PM