Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,810
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (Sunil, Theo Gallus, teehjaeh57, Boondoggle, TLL), 1,121 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yes.

Caught some nice ones today drop-shotting deeper water around the porcupine fish attractors...didn't realize until later that I was wearing a FisHiding T-shirt.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
very nice fish! glad to know the fish like the structures as well!

Get out and fish.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
My BG love structure in 8 ft of water about 30 ft in front of the feeder. They stay down until the pellets hit then come charging up.

Last edited by ewest; 08/25/13 06:28 PM.

P
P
Man, what a great looking fish. You are certainly doing many things right, habitat being only one of them. It is a nice shirt grin

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Tony

Nicely done...I want to learn more about the drop shot rig you're using. Maybe you could post on it? Would like to review and employ to target my largest BG who, like Eric, spend most of their time in deep water in front of my dock. I see some 9-10" bruisers out there taking pellets from the depths, for my fishery, those are trophy fish I want to stock in my new trophy panfish pond.

Tell me about the bottom fish...is that a pinch belly or just a trick the photo is playing? Could it be a spawned out Male or was he fat and full of pellets?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Are you familiar with drop shotting or did you mean what was his specific rig? A dropshot is a great rig for vertical fishing (NEVER cast a drop shot rig) and I use it all the time when fishing from docks over the river channel at Table Rock. The basic idea is that the weight goes below the hook and rests on the bottom. You set the hook height based on where you think the fish are suspended. You do have to buy special drop shot hooks so that the eye will be in the right position. Both soft plastic worms and baitfish work well as lures.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Really nice Spark, them are beauties!!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Well, I guess no one told me not to cast a drop shot setup, as I do it all the time. I suppose it would depend upon the amount of debris located on the bottom, as to how successful the approach is.

When I drop shot for BG, my setup depends upon whether or not I'm jigging mostly vertical, or casting. For jigging, I like a 1/8 oz weight, with my presentation located about 8-12" above it. If I'm using live bait, I like a #6 or #8 hook...and I use regular hooks,(Aberdeens work fine) no special ones needed. I do prefer a weight made specifically for drop shotting, especially when casting, as they are made to slip off the line if you get caught on something. But a lot of folks simply tie on egg weights. You need a rod with some flexibility in the tip.

If I'm casting a drop shot, I will switch to a 1/4oz weight, and extend the distance up to the presentation...say 15-20".

For baits, I like waxworms, or simple garden worms, but I've taken some good BG on a size 10 wooly worm (my favorite). I also use vertical, teardrop ice jigs with good success.

Jigging: I drop the weight until I feel it hit bottom, then raise the rod tip until the weight loads the rod...I like to gently use the weight to pound the bottom, stirring up sediment, then lower the rod and let my bait settle into the cloud. Keep raising and lowering the bait, pausing when you feel the weight bear against the rod. I feel lively bait is a big help when pausing at the top of the 'lift', although most of my takes come while raising the bait off the bottom.

Casting: After switching to a heavier weight and lengthening the distance to the hook, I cast out, bring tension against the weight which brings the bait off the bottom, and take 'hops' with the weight, reel up the slack and pause....then repeat.

It's important to tie on the hook so the point rides 'up', as in 90 degrees to the line. I use a Palomar knot, and run the tag end back through the hook eye...this allows the hook to ride correctly. I have never had a BG deeply hooked while using a drop shot rig.

Oh...good eyes TJ! I was happy and disappointed with the fish on the bottom photo. It went 11", but it was way light, at only 21 ozs.

Last edited by sprkplug; 08/27/13 02:55 PM. Reason: added specs

Yep, Palomar knot is the way to go. Easy to tie. They sell special dual swivel dropshot hooks but I have never found them necessary. I do like to use octopus hooks though.

You're so right! You often don't feel the strike from suspended fish but when you pick up the rod...there he is.

I guess I meant casting like overhead -- the line twist is bad. You can flip em out a ways though.

Last edited by Bocomo; 08/27/13 03:39 PM.
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Good explanation guys - and I wanted to know what type knots you use, hooks, and bait. I also find teardrops tipped with waxies are hard to beat for BG anytime of the year.

Tony I noticed the pinch belly because a few of my caged MBG have apparently stopped taking pellets and while they bodies were impressive, their overall weight and health was in question. I wonder, probably like you, what is going on with these fish. They had to be eating well to get to those sizes, then they stopped? Reminds me of a lot of the BG I caught at Richmond Mill - maybe these are on the decline due to age? Still, beautiful fish you should be proud of!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
TJ, I think in my case the age of the fish has a lot to do with it. To be honest, I won't be surprised if I find this fish floating in another day or so. frown

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Time for your junior class to step up!

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Tony I noticed the pinch belly because a few of my caged MBG have apparently stopped taking pellets and while they bodies were impressive, their overall weight and health was in question. I wonder, probably like you, what is going on with these fish. They had to be eating well to get to those sizes, then they stopped?

TJ, I didn't realize until tonight's news how hot it's been up there. Do you think it may be the heat? Seems the big bulls aren't eating well for several people, and now I'm wondering if it may be the water temp. I'm having the exact same issues with my big males.

SP, beautiful BG, I know you're proud of them.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 08/27/13 07:23 PM.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Special weight for drop shotting? I just use a large split shot crimped on the line. If it hangs up, it'll slide off the line.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
This is a 1/8oz drop shot weight. The line passes through the clinch at the top, and is held secure, but will still pull through if the weight hangs up. And, the collar between the clip and the weight itself is a swivel, to help reduce the line twist issue that Bocomo spoke of. Some of these are made in Tungsten also, which reduces their physical profile.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for that picture.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Tony I noticed the pinch belly because a few of my caged MBG have apparently stopped taking pellets and while they bodies were impressive, their overall weight and health was in question. I wonder, probably like you, what is going on with these fish. They had to be eating well to get to those sizes, then they stopped?

TJ, I didn't realize until tonight's news how hot it's been up there. Do you think it may be the heat? Seems the big bulls aren't eating well for several people, and now I'm wondering if it may be the water temp. I'm having the exact same issues with my big males.

SP, beautiful BG, I know you're proud of them.

Yeah last 10 days have been brutal, and 15 degrees or so above seasonal normal highs. Also have been in a drought since late May. I don't know why some of my fish in the cages quit feeding...but I net them a few times monthly and am releasing any with pinch bellies and hope they can make it on shrimp and other invertebrates in the main pond. It's a shame as some appear to haven't eaten in weeks!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
S
It's very aggravating when you find them in that condition. I wish I knew the answer.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows