Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 823 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#348082 08/20/13 12:23 PM
OP Offline
smile Hello everyone...

So much to consider on my new lake project. NRCS Ladies just left, I apparently have a much larger impoundment area than I thought, almost 6.3 acres, thats awesome, and since I am a working farm they are working up a cost share for me, to hold excess water, recharge aquifers, control flooding, its part of the equip program. Reclaiming some tax dollars. I was explaining some of the things that I have learned from here to them, and they are interested in the siphon drain, wondering if it could help prevent fish kills, and that brings me to the question of aeration. I have discovered from rummaging through y'alls archives that this subject can, to say the least, get complex. But I have pieced together you do get better results if you are able to incorporate the aeration in the initial build, for one thing you stay ahead of muck build up.

But what the NRCS girls and I discussed was the big question of power, and power consumption. Right off the bat we dismissed windmills, because here in the hills of southern Indiana, the wind is less than reliable, its why northern Indiana gets all the wind turbines. We have REMC as the electric provider, might as well as be the mob, the way they extort us, pay us or your cut off, and pay us the highest rates we can get away with, upwards of 12 cents a kwh. So we discussed solar, now one of my neighbors is a fish farmer, he told me that the biggest need for aeration is at night, so it got me thinking of a solar and battery system. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Then just as important, a 6.3 acre pond, twice as long as wide, what type, of diffuser system do I need, how many. Now when I think of a diffuser system I picture a larger version of an aquarium air stone, is this correct?

Does pumping 50000 gallons of spring water a day help with aeration ?

sorry if this is long winded, since I have the help of the NRCS I really want to dot all the is and cross all the ts

I want to make this a great recreation pond, maybe bring in one of those 6x12 pontoons, build a nice dock, put a swimming raft anchored in the middle with a diving board, and have giant bluegills, and blue cats, maybe some walleye...let me know when I become unrealistic, but after reading through here its Y'alls fault, got my head swimming with possibilities laugh

If your job is something you enjoy youll never work a day in your life
DairyFarmer #348089 08/20/13 01:10 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You are correct, the possibilities are endless. I have to run out now, but later on this evening I'll send you a PM about aeration. You'll have to figure out how deep the deepest portion of the pond will be, and how far away is the power. It's less expensive to push air thru a buried airline than it is to run electric underground. You can push air a LONG ways - a lot further than you think I'll bet.

In a typical winter, how long do the ponds stay frozen, and how much snow do you get?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
DairyFarmer #348091 08/20/13 01:14 PM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Wow! Congrats that sounds like a nice place. I am sure some folks will be by soon to get you started in the right directions. Air is great but may not be one of the things you want to do first per say in a pond that size. Remmeber the bigger the pond the MORE cost involved too! Let wait and see what steps they may have to offer you to get you started. If you get a chance take some pics and post them would love to see the pond/lake!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
DairyFarmer #348096 08/20/13 01:31 PM
OP Offline
Our dam is going to be 20 foot tall, we are going to leave 3 feet of free board, so right about 17 foot at the deepest, the ravine its being built in has fairly steep sides, but there is a point were the ravine goes south one way and east the other, were going to take a large part of the dam materiel from this finger, and here we want to build a beach, with a nice gentle slope, were going to lay down one of those thick heavy fabrics that is laid under roads and drive ways and cover it in washed sand of course there will be a berm at the end to keep the sand from spilling to the bottom.

We are in USDA hardiness zone 6b, usually our winters are fairly mild, when ponds and lakes freeze over it doesn't last longer than a couple days, we seldom get snow on the ground more than a few days, occasionally a week or two. And seldom more than a few inches. We sit in a transition zone so the weather is fairly unpredictable, especially these last few years. We sit between the southern climate and northern climate. Snowmobiles, skis, and ice fishing are not real big here, but it can get cold, and we get sleet and cold rain, and ice sheets, the BOWs around here do regularly get ice sheets, not ones you can walk on, but half inch or so.

RC51 #348097 08/20/13 01:32 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: RC51
Wow! Congrats that sounds like a nice place. I am sure some folks will be by soon to get you started in the right directions. Air is great but may not be one of the things you want to do first per say in a pond that size. Remmeber the bigger the pond the MORE cost involved too! Let wait and see what steps they may have to offer you to get you started. If you get a chance take some pics and post them would love to see the pond/lake!

RC

I love your quote, LMAO, all Gods creatures do go well with mashed tators grin

DairyFarmer #348103 08/20/13 03:07 PM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey DF thanks! You shouldn't have to worry about the small sheets of ice. Heck you can even have a couple 2 or 3 inches of ice as long as there is no snow on it! If the sun can get light to it then you can have some D.O. being produced even with ice on the pond. Esshup is a good guy and he will take care of you for sure. He and many others here can help you out for sure. Getting a step by step plan in place along with a "buget" should be your first steps. Because ponds and lakes can be money sucking pits!!! But boy it's fun to have your own too!!! smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
DairyFarmer #348763 08/26/13 01:41 PM
OP Offline
Well, started cleaning all the debris from the ravine today, man the stuff in there, old fence wire, tires, the remains of an outhouse, bones, and an old hog farrowing house, pre ww2 Id suspect, back when I guess they raised them in ravines : )

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?