Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
I have a half acre pond in southern VT that has leeches. The water source is a dedicated well. So there is not a lot of water circulation or oxygenation which probably contributes to muck accumulation. Has anyone heard of a method of placing 3"x4" salt blocks around the perimeter of the pond to kill off the leeches? I heard this from pond contractor. I'm not sure if anyone has tried this or if it works. And what a affect it would have on the other aquatic life in the pond (salmanders, frogs, trout). For a pond my size, it was suggested placing 5 or 6 evenly spaced around the edge.

I've got other leech control options under consideration including Large mouth bass and papershell crayfish. I already have trout stock this past spring. I just need to consider the food chain thing and who will eat who.

The traps didn't work so well. I'd welcome any feedback or recommendations.
Thanks
Shawn

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I would do all I could to stock some Pumpkinseed Sunfish in the pond. They focus their feeding habits on the critters on or near the pond bottom.

There's only one source that I know of that has them in your area, and that's http://www.smithcreekfishfarm.com/productdetails2.cfm?ID=2

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
The salt won't hurt anything. Since leeches prefer stagnant water/ detritus have you considered aome diffusion to aerate the bottom? Or would that warm up the water too much for the trout in the summer?

I have a diffuser in the bottom center of my trout pond that I only run at night.

Edit:

I noted your other post where you said you were running in only 10 gpm in a 1/2 acre pond. Breaking up your thermocline may not be a good idea for the trout. I'm very surprised your trout are
"doing well" as you say with temps in the 70's.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/03/13 09:40 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
OP Offline
S
Once the heat broke a couple of weeks ago, they've become very active. Which is a relief. I'm going to see how they do this summer. In the end, this may end being a bass pond, but I wanted to give the trout a shot first.

I am considering aeration, but not yet. As you mentioned, I'm not sure what it will do to the water temp.

I've found two companies in VT that will suit up with scuba gear and literally 'vacuum' the bottom to remove the muck layer and selectively removing weeds. This might be an option to get a clean start with the pond so it's a matter of maintenance going forward. It's also a much less expensive option than draining and excavating. It should put quite a strain on the leech habitat.

I'd be interested to know if this option has been considered by any of the pond owners out there.
Shawn

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I think the vaccum is a good option. I'd sure like to know what they charge (per cu yard of muck removed, per hour of work or ?)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
How big are the leeches?

Good morning Dave, I've checked the ships systems, and everything appears to be running normally.
S
OP Offline
S
I got one estimate of $1500: two guys for 2-3 days and they haul it all away. That includes travel expense since they'd be coming too far to commute daily.

To answer the leech size question.. this year I've seen only smaller ones 2" or so. But last year there were some big one swimming around. Nobody liked those too much. I suspect they're still in there somewhere.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How deep is the muck?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
That figure of $1500.00 for two guys at 2-3 days plus hauling sounds incredibly light.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

V
V
Hi,

We are also in Vermont and having a leech problem.

Can you share the names of the companies you have found either on this thread or through a private message to me?

Also, what are the tradeoffs of the different types of fish for leech control? I've seen suggestions of bass, sunfish, and crayfish. Our pond is primarily for swimming so a fish that is easy to maintain and wouldn't interfere much with swimming would be great.

Thanks.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If the pond is old and lots of muck, why not consider a pond draining and dry out during a warm season when trout tend to struggle in many ponds? It will get rid of the leeches (add hydrated lime), reduce muck (drying,decomposing &/or dipping) and benefit the benthic invertebrate community by oxygenating the sediments over the summer, maybe even reduce weed community. Numerous benefits for periodically draining and drying a production pond.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/24/13 01:12 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
G
G
Any updates from the OP?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday