Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,126
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,421
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
17 members (rjackson, esshup, jpsdad, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 889 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
I often visit a pond that is on "public" land here in Mexico. It recieves runoff from some fields where I am sure they use some sort of pesticide.

There are actually two ponds right next to each other with a 100 ft strip of land with a road between them. The first one (higher up) seems like more work than it is worth at this stage of the game. The second one (lower down) seems more promising. It has an earth dam with a small concrete dam section. I don't know its depth yet, but due to the slope and the age of the pond (+50 years guessing by trees that have grown on or near the dam), I don't think it it is more than a few feet deep, maybe six feet at the absolute most.

When up there the other day, evening time around five, I noticed there were no birds drinking the water, no tadpoles, no frogs, very few insects in the water and none in the air bothering me either. I thought I saw some fish activity but it was more likely just methane gas bubbles popping up. (which was common) Although it was a bit of a cool eveing here at about 8,000 ft, it seems like there should have been SOME sort of critter activity.

The water was white and the pond seemed to be about 50% covered in what I think is giant duckweed and some sort of grass.

I took some photos for your assesment. I would appreicate your input on what is wrong with the pond, its potential, and what can be done.

The land gently slopes downward toward the SW.

View of upper pond from the road that devides them:

View of lower pond from the same point in the road that devides them:

Close to the edge:

Closeups:

Backside of dam. Notice the large trees.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Harry, the number of plants might be decomposing and sucking out all of the oxygen.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Dave, thank you for your response!

Would it be good to start with pulling out the duckweed? basic dredging of some sort?

F
F
Harry, Explain a little better about this pond being on public land? Seems like your hands may be tied from doing certain things, and how much control do you have over it, both in maintenance and other people fishing it.

...by the way, welcome to PONDBOSS !!!!!!!

Last edited by fish n chips; 08/23/13 01:34 PM.
How deep is it? A piece of line and a weight will tell you a lot. I bet it's very shallow.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If you think there are no fish or none to worry about, you could just nuke the whole thing a couple of times and restock.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I would suck um both dry first cut a 12 foot tunnel between the 2 and make one large pond with a bridge! That was my first thought anyway. But like Fishnchips said if it's public land what really can be done or not done?

Pulling all those weeds that sounds great and all but I been there done that man you just don't realize how hard that is and how many are there! That's a LOT of work specaily for a pond that isn't even yours??

Maybe find out who owns that land? Get some kind of a lease wrote up for a certain amount and tell them you will clean it all up if you have spacific rights to said propertey for certain lease time and amount??

I don't know that I would do all that work and not have anything to show for it?? That's just M.O.

RC

Last edited by RC51; 08/23/13 03:31 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The reproductive rate of duck weed makes manual removal almost impossible. That generally takes successive doses of chemicals.

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, great feedback folks.

fish n chips, First off, down here there is a whole different concept for property rights than most folks are used to. This weekend I was able to meet up with some ecology majors at a local university and we'll look into who actually owns the property. For all intents and purposes, the ponds are completely open to the public in a fairly remote area. There doesn't seem to by much interest is stocking them or maintaining them for any purpose other than to prevent excess runoff. (though I did find some dove hunters up there once)

RC51, The area is not level and the ponds are not at the exact same elevation...plus, unless it can be done with manual labor, getting any sort of heavy equipment is going to take an act of congress...remember, this is a 3rd world country.

Bocomo, I was planning on doing just that this weekend but couldn't get back up there. I would say you are probably right...it is probably no more than three feet deep. Will investigate better next time. Have any suggestions for how to measure its depth towrd the middle of the pond? (no boats available)

Dave Davidson1, Thanks for that bit of info about duck week...though I can tell you, manual labor is much more available than any sort of chemical...well, except for some basic stuff like bleach etc.

I have no personal vested interest in this pond other than I know that it is in bad shape, I grew up around ponds and fishing and if it could get back on its feet, I would feel much more at home, which is something distictly lacking in these parts. This is just a personal interest project.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
As far as measuring depth, can you use a slip float and some weight? Cast out to where you want to take a measurement, and allow the weight to pull slack line through the float until the 'stop' makes contact and pulls the float into a loaded position. Repeat this process, adjusting the depth stop to a little deeper setting each time, until the weight contacts the bottom before it pulls the float upright. Measure the distance between the stop and the weight, and you'll have a pretty good idea of the depth.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
sprkplug, Bingo! That sounds like the right trick for me! Will give it a try next time I am out there. Thanks for the suggetion!

Any other info I should gather next time I am out there? (I just got put on crutches so it make take a few weeks.)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I do what Sparkplug suggested, but use a heavy enough weight so it'll sink the bobber. No questions that way.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
I haven't seen a real bobber in years...it'll end up being something a bit more rudimentry...probably a coke bottle. wink

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: HarryD
I haven't seen a real bobber in years...it'll end up being something a bit more rudimentry...probably a coke bottle. wink

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

vs. this:

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I can't speak for the flat four bobber, but that Thill pro series slipper in esshup's photo is my go to in off-the-shelf floats. wink

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh my...I see a thread hijacking in the makings. laugh

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay fellas, I was able to make it back up to the site and have some info for you and some eye candy.

Info: The pond is 6-7ft deep.

Observation #1: When reelingin my rock-on-a-string-with-trash-as-a-float setup to measure the depth, a trail of bubbles followed the rock dragging the bottom of the pond which tells me there are som sort of bubbles on the bottom of the pond. (I observed an obvious delay as they rose to the surface, so it did not have anything to do with the string.)

Observation #2: The island of grass in the third photo circulates around the pond as the wind blows, and seemed to be centered in the deeper part of the pond but does not reach the shore. (but gets within 10 ft of the dam) I would guess that has +10ft long roots that give it quite a bit of working room for it to go around and around in the pond like that.

Observation #3: I also observed what looked like a miniture eel. That's the only sign of life in the water that I have seen:

Depth at the dam 7ft

Depth toward the middle of the pond 6ft

Upper pond on right, lower pond on left:

Eye candy:

View from upper pond of lightining behind a volcano:

Your comments?

F
F
Wow, with views like that, who cares if there are fish in the pond. Just sit back and enjoy!!!

From your current photos, it looks like the water is less covered with weeds? I wonder if the rock scraping along the bottom is just releasing trapped air/gasses that's down in the muck. Have you considered taking a water sample to have it tested? How about throwing in a batch of FHM to see if they make it till spring? If they don't live, nothing will.

Is there any signs of the water ever running over the dam. I'm curious if you get flash flood type scenarios that might flush out fish life. Are you sure that's not a giant leech eek

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Fish and chips,

Thanks for the response. Yes the water does look less covered with weeds this time but still is very murky. I also saw more insects this time. There is signs of water running over the dam, we have had quite a bit of rain lately, but I wouldn't be too worried about it being such a rush of water that it would sweep away any fish, it doen't even wash away any dirt. (See photo dead dead weeds in front of a black backpack.)

Yes, I am sure that the rock was releasing trapped gasses...but if it is methane, is that a bad thing? (sign of too much decomposition?)

FHM...For Him Magizine? Former Head Master? sorry...enough of that...Flat Head Minnows?

No, I am not sure it isn't a giant leech...frankly that was the first thing to come to my mind when I saw it. I shot a quick video of it, and it swims like a snake and reminds me of a miniture fresh water eel that I had in an aquariam as a kid. Same size etc...either way, it is a sign of life!

Why do I want fish in the pond? I guess more than anything because it is pretty lonely up there. The most I have seen is an occasional farmer with some livestock (see photo below) or a hunter, and I have always liked watching fish breaking the surface of the water. Fishing would be nice, but not a main interest. I would really like to see the area healthy if I am going to hang around there, get away from the filth in the city.

Last edited by HarryD; 09/30/13 10:32 AM.
F
F
I just can't get over those great photos your putting up....

Sorry, forgot your new to the lingo.
Bookmark this link, you'll be using it a lot.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
FNC, thanks for the lingo decoder!

I have done some digging and MIGHT be able to find some FHM here in Meixco to put in this pond, with the owner's permission of course. Question is...how many?

Water sample, this is a possability...is there a US based lab you can reccomend? What am I looking for? (I read something about PH levels in another thread.)

Thanks again!

Last edited by HarryD; 10/02/13 10:35 AM.
If you can't find FHM, maybe try gambusia?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

www.hoosierpondpros.com

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks esshup! Truth be told, I do have a local lab with limited abilities...I can ask them what they can test, but it would probably be better if I have an idea of what I am looking for, then ask if they can do it. (If they saw that checklist I think they'd faint.)

There is a dramatic drop in pond weed...is that due to a slight rise in the water level?

There was another section on grass on the other end of the dam, they didn't go anywhere...what am I seeing happen? (I was really surpised that it was seven feet deep in this section!)

Maybe this grass is what turned into the "flotilla" I saw this time around.

HarryD Offline OP
OP Offline
Thought you fellas might like to see some fresh photos.

From May 2014

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:05 AM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday