Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 712 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Tums #347443 08/15/13 10:18 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Scott - None are ideal, but they do the job. I've got two Foleys - a large and a small. I've got one that goes on my KitchenAide Mixer, and I've got a very old one that was Lynda's grandmother's. It works the best. It is shaped much like a funnel and it has a mortar that is about the same size and shape as the funnel part, but 1/4th the diameter of the funnel part. It works the best, but I'm guessing this thing is pre-WWII. We've just put up another 12 quarts of tomato sauce that was squeezed through the smaller Foley or the old unit.

The Foleys are OK. You just can't put the pressure on them like with the old mortar mill. There are a number of imitations online and in stores for about $25. I seldom use the electric one.

I just finished up a gallon of bread-and-butter pickles. Now its time to go finish repairing the riding mower so I can mow before it is time to take my grandson and his girlfriend fishing. It is at a DNR owned lake that is managed for big bluegill. Lots of medium size bass, as the bass are catch and release only.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
esshup #347446 08/15/13 10:58 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Apple seeds are somewhat toxic, they contain a cyanide compound, don't let the seeds get into the mix.

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2007/09/12/yes-apple-seeds-and-cherry-pits-are-poisonous.htm

Shorty #347463 08/15/13 12:54 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks Shorty!

Ken, the one that my Mom has is probably the same age. Her mom was born in 1900.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Tums #347474 08/15/13 05:07 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Around here (this climate) this is a usefull and free way to preserve root crops
Quote: Clamping offers a simple and effective way to store many common root crops such as carrots, potatoes and beetroot. It works on the principle that roots come from the ground, and therefore are best kept in the ground. Simple really.

From Kitchen Garden Magazine - September 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVqMKrr9F0w

the info here is good IMO http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/cure_smoke.html

I agree with Cat that fish to be smoked in general should be faty, but I love smoked perch when eaten warm directly out of the hot smoker oven, it's not at all dry/jerky new cooked and fresh, only when it's stored.

My favorit wood for smoking is fresh cut juniper with needles/berrys still on.
http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/2010/albiniak_noel/
and/or with fresh cut ling (The Norwegian National flower Røsslyng)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calluna
it makes the best of flavours and fumes IMO

PAUL
Tums #347498 08/15/13 09:09 PM
O
O
Hmmmm, been busy this week with our auction at work and haven't read much...

I did rhubarb freezer jam early and am boiling 7 half pints of jalapeño strawberry jam right now... Going full blown pepper jam tomorrow night!!! That's the good stuff!!!

Tums #347508 08/15/13 10:43 PM
O
O
Things were/are going so well I am knocking out the pepper right now!!!

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247

Pepper Jam, what type of pepper you use. I still have half a 5 gallon bucket of Jalapenos to do something with.

As far as smoking fish I use a mixture of Oak and hickory to smoke mainly King Mackerel to make a smoked fish dip from it.

Tums #347607 08/16/13 02:43 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Duck Pond Paul,

I'd love to compare notes and ideas with you as foods, preservation, and tastes have evolved so much over the last century.

I grew up in a 1st generation US immigrant community made up of grumpy Norsks, happy Svents, and dour Suomis from the Oulu region. My father's family were ever-optimistic Polskis (from today's Bialystock-to-Lithuania area), who didn't really know if they were Russians, Lithuanians, or Prussians.

But, no matter where they were from in this northern region, they all had very similar food recipes, just with somewhat different names, and slightly different cooking/preservation methods.

Someone I casually know from where I grew up, ventured to Finland several years ago, and wrote a book about the differences between Suomi cooking today versus how it has changed names and spices as they diverged over the last 100-120 years between Finland and the US. I can only assume we have similar evolutions between Norsk and Svensk foods and recipes.

I would love to do a followup. Are you coming to the US anytime soon? If I were able to make a trip to your part of the world, would you have some time to spend with my wife and me discussing your foods and how they are preserved and made?

Thank you very much (please excuse my broken language) -- tusen takk, tack så mycket, paljon kiitoksia,

Knute (Ken) fra West Virginia, USA

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Tums #347635 08/16/13 06:16 PM
O
O
Originally Posted By: Tums
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247

Pepper Jam, what type of pepper you use. I still have half a 5 gallon bucket of Jalapenos to do something with.

As far as smoking fish I use a mixture of Oak and hickory to smoke mainly King Mackerel to make a smoked fish dip from it.

On the regular pepper jam I use green bells, yellow sweets, jalapeño with the seeds and membrane... If you want a little extra zing, throw in a couple if habaneros...

The strawberry jalapeño makes nice Christmas gifts because it is sweet and mild... Colors also go along with the season...

Tums #347637 08/16/13 06:35 PM
F
F
Originally Posted By: Tums
Speaking canning and ponds, anyone ever do smoked fish? If so please tell of the experience.

Smoked fish thread

catmandoo #347701 08/17/13 09:28 AM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Duck Pond Paul,

I'd love to compare notes and ideas with you as foods, preservation, and tastes have evolved so much over the last century.

I grew up in a 1st generation US immigrant community made up of grumpy Norsks, happy Svents, and dour Suomis from the Oulu region. My father's family were ever-optimistic Polskis (from today's Bialystock-to-Lithuania area), who didn't really know if they were Russians, Lithuanians, or Prussians.

But, no matter where they were from in this northern region, they all had very similar food recipes, just with somewhat different names, and slightly different cooking/preservation methods.

Someone I casually know from where I grew up, ventured to Finland several years ago, and wrote a book about the differences between Suomi cooking today versus how it has changed names and spices as they diverged over the last 100-120 years between Finland and the US. I can only assume we have similar evolutions between Norsk and Svensk foods and recipes.

I would love to do a followup. Are you coming to the US anytime soon? If I were able to make a trip to your part of the world, would you have some time to spend with my wife and me discussing your foods and how they are preserved and made?

Thank you very much (please excuse my broken language) -- tusen takk, tack så mycket, paljon kiitoksia,

Knute (Ken) fra West Virginia, USA

Hi Knute
I would enjoy spending some time with you and your wife, I can host you at my house if you would like to.
This time 2.half of august/september would be the "right time" of the year a lot of the hunt/fishing season is open and the weather is usualy nice.
Most of the turist atractions, would still be open, at least on the weekends and my oldest kids are of at uni, so I/we got plenty of room and the prices are lower on every thing including airfares.............
May/1.half of june alomost the same but no hunt/fish/harvest season to speak of then.

Any time of the year, I would fine some time for you, but the above listed times, are the best IMO, for visiting Scandinavia, unless you want to ski and experience winter activities.

Me going over the big pond, I can't tell when, mainly do to my lymes illnes, my health insurrances are limitid to Europe, untill I'm permanently classified X% dissabeled,or well, so I can go, but want take that risk.

I have a book written in danish, first published 1973 after my late father (Knut).
It was writen by a master sausage maker, salting/smoking -fish/meat expert, to save the old reciepies and methoods from getting lost.
It also contains a history part and drawings, on DIY ovens etc.
If you PM me, your post adress I will send it to you
I'm sure you can figure out away to read and understand most of it.

PAUL
Tums #347941 08/19/13 12:22 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A

PAUL
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts