Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
well a bass bluegil/redear combo dont sound bad

what about predators like pike or tiger musky as the main predator

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
RES are not an option in NY, too far north...

I wouldn't recommend a larger Esox species in a pond under 10 acres but for very specific purposes.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
RES are not an option in NY, too far north...

I wouldn't recommend a larger Esox species in a pond under 10 acres but for very specific purposes.

Ditto. The Esox will want to eat the same size fish you do! And they will maim some.

Largemouth bass are your best predator bar none. If you want panfish I would go with bluegill, yellow perch, and largemouth bass. Your perch will be cropped down heavy by your bass but you would probably catch a bonus large yellow perch every now and then.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
There are a lot of options. Please be more specific about what you want exactly. Sport. Food. Unique. In my area, every lake and pond has largemouth and bluegill. So I'm going with smallmouth, wiper and walleye. Maybe do some research, find a single fish species you want to start with and we can help you build the rest off of that.

W
W
This is all good information. I have a trout pond in its first year with trout in it. I have been working on the setup for two years before adding trout. My pond is fed 30 plus gallons per minute by an artisian well. What I have is small area dug 10 feet deep (less than 1/4 acre) where the well water is piped to the bottom. The well water gets exposed to the air to get well oxygenated before entering the pond. The temperature stays below 60 about 4 feet down all year. The overflow spills out into a cattail marsh and then to a 2 1/2 acre pond on the other side of 5 acres of marsh. The tout pond has some open water all year even here in Wisconsin, because of the spring. I'm not sure if the trout will stay in the small pond over winter on not. Being that the cattails only have about 2 feet of water in them, I hope they stay in the deeper water year around. So far my Brooks and Rainbows are doing well. You may consider two ponds like I did. I do think you will not be able to keep your trout alive without a spring or well due to the water getting too warm.

PS Thanks to all the members here who made my pond project a success! I would have made many mistakes without your advise.

A
OP Offline
A
some one has mentioned wipers...that is interesting what kind forage is the best for wipers and what kind of pond habitat is the best for wipers?

and the same for walleye what kind of information can u guys provide me with for these two species of fish?

A
OP Offline
A
can you stock large mouth bass and wipers together?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Wipers are an excellent pond fish. They readily take to pellets and fight harder than any freshwater fish I know. They are a hybrid between a white bass and a striped bass and do not (uncommon anyway) reproduce in the wild. Any harvested would have to be replaced. Check the legalities in your state before stocking.

They can be stocked with other species and take up another niche (open water) than largemouth (cover). Open water forage options like golden shiners are a good choice.

Walleye also will not reproduce in a small pond. They might, but the recruitment will not be there for you. Like prefer deeper cooler water. Yellow perch are a good forage item for them, but if stocking these with largemouth, you really need plenty of vegetative cover for them to seek refuge. Largemouth will easily wipe out a yellow perch population without cover.

If leaning in the direction of wipers, walleye, yellow perch, you might consider shying away from bluegill and largemouth. Most fisheries having bluegill and largemouth have those species eventually dominate it. Not to say you won't catch the occasional walleye or wiper, but it will be less common than the bluegill or bass.

A
OP Offline
A
i did some research and thinking what about wipers with hybrid crappie and some sort of forage fish?

i just recently put up another post on this site on the same topic...check it out please...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Omaha, are wipers like "Purch" in Texas? Aren't they Hybrid Striped Bass? Or are they "Sunshine Bass" or are they "Cherokee Bass"? wink grin

Is there a different name if the cross is Male Striped Bass x Female White Bass or if the cross is Male White Bass x Female Striped Bass?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
The same exact thing as hybrid striped bass. Just a cool, hype Midwestern name for them. crazy

A
OP Offline
A
well is the stocking combo any good?

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Answered the question in your other thread. I do like the direction you're going. Could be very fun.

L
L
Have you investigated Walleye as a top predator? I am trying that in my 1/2 acre pond... Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, and Walleye. The advantage is the WE don't breed in a pond (normally) so it makes it easier to manage the balance than say a pond that is not fished properly.

F
F
edit---posted in the wrong spot blush

Last edited by fish n chips; 08/12/13 06:44 AM.
Lunker
Lunker
From what I've heard, a certain major college football coach from a university near here, used to have a pond that he kept trout in year round. The secret was he also had a rather large well which he could afford to run enough to keep cool fresh water in the pond.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
With enough money you can make most anything happen.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images