Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,946
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bill Cody, Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, highflyer, Theo Gallus, Lake8), 1,010 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I have a lot of snails in my pond. They don't really bother me much but I do see some parasite s on some of the bluegills. I thought it would be a good idea to add a few Redear Sunfish to clean the majority up and diminish the parasites in my fish. Well, the other day I was reading an article about water gardens, they mentioned throwing a few snails in to clean up dead vegitation. I would like to see some discussion about this to help me decide if getting rid of the parsites is more important getting rid of than dead vegitation. What effect does the snail by-product have on my water? I have eaten fish for 30+ yrs. with parasites and haven't noticed any ill effects from them. The fish are just a little more pretty with out them.

Thanks for any input!
Fishhead

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Isn't it interesting that in pond management there is always someone with a counter opinion on whatever question....snails, or not snails. Hey, its all protein, fish, worms, and all.

In a more serious vain, I think you should do what makes you most comfortable. I have stocked red ears and they virtually disappeared, but no snails to speak of either.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Fishhead,

Even if your redears take off and reduce the snails they will not eliiminate them. That said the reduction of parasites greatly outweighs some cleaning the snails do. I personally don't think the snails contribute that heavily to the overal "clean up" of a pond anyway. Lots of other factors that are more involved in the "cleanup" of a pond and overall health of your pond.

I take it a step farther on my ponds. Not ony do I have snail eating fish (yellow perch in my case) I also elimiate the other link in the parasite cycle -- herons. I have put in nonlethal means to keep the herons away. After a couple years I don't see the parasites I used to see in my fish. In fact I don't see them at all.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Don't want to get to far off the subject of redears but with having just read the "Aerating Old Ponds" by Jim Glennon. I think air stone aeration will help more than anything, penny for penny. Having said that, I did what I think was the wrong thing and purchased a surface aeration system.

Back to subject; If I add redears, Cecil, or whomever wants to comment, at what rate should I add? I have a very healthy crop of bluegill right now with LMG, and I assume CC doing the maintenance (Have not caught CC'S yet). I thought maybe 100 for my 2.5 acre pond to start and see what I catch the next couple of years.

Cecil, you mention Herrons spreading the parisite as well. I assume this is from the feces, as they eat whatever, that also carries the parisite?

FH

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Fishhead,

I can't address your stocking rate as I'm no expert and just report on what has worked for me. I do know redears are not the prolific spawners that bluegills are.

Fish eating birds are part of a continuous cyle of which snails are also part of that cycle. if you break the cycle you can reduce or eliminate the parasites.

Here's a good link to go to better understand it:

http://aquanic.org/publicat/state/il-in/faq/grubs.htm

As far as catfish I personally would not have them in my ponds. They do nothing for me and they can compete with more favorable gamefish IMHO. I'd rather have the biomass in other species. However to each his own.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Neat article Cecil....thanks for passing it along. It sounds like the redears are a way to attempt to break the chain. I see Kingfishers in my pond most of the summer. I actually enjoy watching them, and the Herons, so for me Redears are the only way to go.There is a hatchery in Iowa, not to far away that has 1 - 2" redears for .30 each. I'm thinking at this time of throwing in 300 this year and 300 next year. It says recommended stocking rate is 200 per acre so this would be about right for a total. Do you think it would be better to add all at once or will this formula work alright?

That's interesting that you do not stock catfish. I've never been a huge catfish fan myself and only stocked them because I thought I needed to, along with the LMB & BG. Honestly, I would rather have another species in the pond. WHY DIDN'T I DISCOVER THIS SITE SOONER !!!.

Thanks, FH

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Stocking 1"-2" redears could serve as expensive bass food. Redears tend to stay in deeper water and are more vulnerable to bass predation than bgill of the same size. I think your money is most efficiently spent in buying redears that are sizes equal to or larger than the bass in your pond can swallow.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I think there's no doubt the bass would eat some of them, maybe enough to make it worth stocking larger fish. Only one problem with that, I can't find any adults in any Iowa hatcheries listed under any search. If I stock enough of them some survivors should make it. I had a real good hatch of BG last year so they might survive well. "Safety in numbers!" \:\) I might be able to pen them for a while also.

FH

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Fishhead :

I agree with Bill adult RE would be best. I had a problem finding adult fish once . I asked the local hatcheries if I bought some 2in. this year and next would they sell me a few, 20 in my case, adults to help with establishing a population. When I told them if they ever needed to get a few adults back from me in the future I would give them 20 back for free they were happy to help. Don't know why they said ok . Maybe they wanted a satisfied customer or to be left alone.The 20 adults I got were not overly expensive and were from the next spring's class not from the suppliers existing brood stock and after I paid for all on the front end { at my suggestion }. This might fit your need if you are going to buy the 2in. anyway.Thanks --ewest

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/24/24 06:22 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM