Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Augie, Fishingadventure, dg84s, Groundhog7, IND1371, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 788 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#279074 01/28/12 12:16 PM
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
OP Offline
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Hello, and a warm welcome to the ever-growing family that is the Pond Boss Forum! Now that you're here, please take a moment introduce yourself. We'd love to learn a little about you, what brought you to Pond Boss, and how we can help you achieve your pond management goals.

Are you a pond owner, planning a pond construction project, or do you manage other ponds?

What are your pond management goals: Trophy fish, a well-balanced fishery, wildlife preservation, recreation, or something else?

Are you presently seeking help with an existing issue in your pond like clearing muddy water, managing excessive vegetation, or growing bigger fish?

These are just guidelines - feel free to share as much as you wish. Once we have this information, we can help direct your issues to the proper forum topic detailed discussion.

Please go to the "New Forum Member Introduction" room, select "New Topic" at the top left of the screen, and begin your introductory post. Again, welcome to Pond Boss Forum - we look forward to getting to know you and your pond!

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
1 member likes this: Broadwell Hill
J
J
Hi my name is Jim I live in Hampshire County WV. I just closed a deal on a new pond. I know noting about ponds but the fact that they have water in them and thier pretty. I quess that I will learn alot, because I know nothing. I hope this will be a great learning experience. Thanks in advance for any help. I think we will mostly be useing the pond to attract wildlife,my wife is a photographer.Our pond will be about an acre and a half. We will introduce fish frogs and the like when suitable. My wife and I are both retired and have lived in Hampshire County for almost 40 years. Jim

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome Jim. I'm about 15 miles east of you, right on the state line east of Capon Bridge.

Good luck with your pond. One really good thing about Hampshire and Frederick counties is how easy it is to build great ponds. I guess you won't be digging for a few days though. It is wet. My pond is over the spillway this morning from all of yesterday's rain, and that doesn't happen very often. Come back and ask lots of questions. We'll be glad to help in anyway we can.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
T
T
Is a permit required to build a new pond on a property in Hampshire County?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Twright
Is a permit required to build a new pond on a property in Hampshire County?

Generally a permit is not required, but there are some "what if's."

Nothing is exact. Generically, if your dam is going to hold less than 25 vertical feet of water, you don't need any permits in this county.

Send me a PM if you have other questions, and we will try to assist you as best as we can. In general, Hampshire County is a great place to build ponds. Our land doesn't perc very well due to all of the clay, which makes for great ponds. It just means that you have very poor septic tank drain fields. Hampshire County strips the clouds heading to Northern VA of much of their moisture. It fills our ponds, so our ponds stay near full-pool most of the year. The county fathers are generally in favor of having more and more ponds.

Regards,
Ken

B
B
Hello! My name is Bob Brocious. I am owned by a 134 acre farm in northcentral Kentucky near the town of Carrollton. It is an old tobacco, carn, cattle farm. It has owned me since 1996. I have a 1.25 acre pond that is smothered in duckweed every year. I have tried carp to see if they could stay ahead of the duckweed but ... the weed wins every time. My goal is to produce a healthy pond for swimming, fishing and garden irrigation.
My sense is this pond is 30+ years old. Cattails surround it. I believe it is 12'+ deep at its deepest point. In this drought it has gone down a good bit but is a LONG way from being dry. I think there is so much silt on the bottom that it will defeat any attempts short of draining it and cleaning it out.
I am eager to hear your suggestions and questions.
Thank you for offering this forum to help folks like myself.
Bob Brocious

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Bob welcome, I am no expert by any means I only been in this for about 4 years now. You have a set of goals that's good. I would break up your questions and put them in the particular catagory that they fall in on the forum. That way you will get more experts looking at your questions you may have and get some quicker answers. I can tell you this.

1. Be patient I have figured out nothing you do right in pond management seems to happen quick!
2. Getting that pond cleaned up for what you want it for will be a task but not one that is impossible that's for sure!
3. I know some others fellas on this site have had duck weed problems so maybe they can help with that.
4. Grass Carp if that's what your talking about I don't really think DW is on the top of their list for eating?

Have you ever considered making the pond bigger? If you did you could drain the old side into the new part and then work on old side. If you had the money of course. If not scratch that whole question smile

Good Luck Bob and keep us posted as to how it goes.

Last edited by RC51; 08/23/12 01:15 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
M
M
Hey Pond Boss community! I am new to the company and to the forum. I am looking forward to learning the forum as well as sharing experiences, comments, and questions regarding ponds and lakes.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Matt L. Thiesen
Hey Pond Boss community! I am new to the company and to the forum. I am looking forward to learning the forum as well as sharing experiences, comments, and questions regarding ponds and lakes.

Welcome Matt! Go ahead and start a thread to formally introduce yourself and your projects. We'd love to hear about them.

J
J
Glad to have you on board Matt!

F
F
hi my name is byron and i live in the columbia sc area. i am looking for helpful info on buiding a new pond from scratch. it will probably be just under one acre. i want to raise fish to eat and also set up a duck habitat. i wont require a dam and will just be digging a hole with spill way. what are some things i may want to consider as it relates to depths habitat species etc...thanks

T
T
Howdy, Friends and Neighbors,
I just found out about this forum and can't wait to glean a few pearls of wisdom from you wise folk.
To start with I live in NW Georgia and grew up fishing in ponds and cricks. To me there is no source of peace and solitude that can be found any where that matches what one finds around small ponds. No yahoos on skis, towed or self propelled, and no "Hats turned back 90 m.p.h every where they go so called PRO's". Never could figg'r out how to catch a fish moving that fast. The closest lake to me was / is Alatoona, and as far as I knew then, was where we went IF we wanted to just ride around in a boat all week end. Back then it was called "The Dead Sea", if that tells ya'll what the fish'n was like. Some say that it's better now, but you still can't grind me up, mix me with beer, and pour me on fishing a place like that. So needless to say I love me some pond fish'n.
The main pond that I grew up on was our family pond and is 2.5 acres and from 2'-8' deep, run off fed and built in the early 50's. It had all of your basic fun for a kid to catch fish, bream, small LM bass, channel cats, and brown bull heads. From 1983 till a few years ago I did some traveling, working for "Our Uncle", and didn't get in much fis'n at all. When I returned home for good all I could think of sit'n on the side of that pond sip'n some thing cool, and drowing some bait. But, during my absence absolutely no one did any thing but cut the grass around it. The bream were in the three finger range, and you could catch the 10"-12" bass by the bucketful on chicken liver. And all of the cats, and bull heads were gone, nada, non existent.
Luckily for all concerned a friend of mine down the street had just dug out and fixed his Grand Pa's old pond so that his Grand Kids could have a little place to learn to fish. He had no fish and I had too many as far as bream and bass were concerned. I've spent the last two years "transfering" the small ones that I caught into his pond and a few larger ones from other sources and blood lines into mine. The transformation has been tremendous! I've got hand size and up bream, 1/2-1 lb. shellcrackers, some nice red bellys and the bass are growing and have even started bedding again. I've been able to put a few channel cats in from 10" to several pounds. And I added 10 lbs. of fathead minnows for forage.
My big problem, that I hope ya'll can help with. is that I can't find any brown bull heads around here any where. When I was a kid, if you had a mud hole that held water for more than two weeks you had "specks" in it. They have vertually disapeared around here with no explanation that I can find. Now I know that in other parts of this country, they are trash fish good for nothing but stealing bait. But some of my best memories as a child was the fact that no matter you're age or fishability, with just about any bait, you could have a ball with them, and they taste pretty good too. I've only found one hatchery, in Arkansas that will even admit to handling them, and they don't have a truck that comes any where close to Ga. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
I'm very glad that I found Ya'll, tight lines,
Taz

Orbis Non Sufficit
>")))><
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Contact Greg Grimes he can help you.. In the mean time there's alot better fish to stock that are fun for kids to catch and not as bad as the BH..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
T
T
Yeah, Greg is on my list to contact. I heard about him on GON forum at the same time I found about this forum. And as far as how bad BH's are, well I may be one of the few that have fond memories of them, but I do, and would love to find them some where. Thanks.

Orbis Non Sufficit
>")))><
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I remember fishing for Bullheads in the creek than ran through the neighbors pasture as a boy. Nearly every day in the summertime, grab a rod, tackle box, and my Border Collie and have at it..... and I think they're pretty tasty also.

I wonder if 10 year olds still do that kind of thing......

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
T
T
Hey Sprkplug,
If I have any thing to say about it, they will, around here at least. I don't have any of my own, that I know of. Spent too much time lurking around foreign places. But, I do have plenty of young'ns around the family and friends who I would love to see hang'n around a pond instead of a comp., I-pad, or what ever it is that keeps their attention now a days. I know that to most folks BH's are nothing but bad news, and I'm fine with that. But there are a fleeting few that hold them in high esteem, if just for the memories that they hold. My pond is on it's way to being a great little pond for kids of all ages, my self included, with pan fish for the little ones, up to larger cats and LMB's for the more advanced. The one thing missing, IMO, is that middle fish that's easy enough to catch but puts up one heck of a fight on small tackle. Those little rascals have just gone extinct in this area, with no reason that I can find, but I've been hunt'n hard to find all of my adult life.

Orbis Non Sufficit
>")))><
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Lots of good memories that revolve around creek fishin' for Bullheads.......except we weren't refined enough to call em' that back then.....they were yellow bellies.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Don't get me wrong I spent my whole childhood life in the creek and ponds of bond county IL catching bullheads.. I've just learned with age theres alot better things to catch and stock too a pond..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 07/10/13 07:04 PM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

T
T
We called'm specks here, I didn't find out the real name until just this year and it took a lot of digg'n on the computer to do it, in case you haven't figured out, I'm extremely new to all of this media stuff. Heck, the powers that be only allow me a few forums, and I have to have them checked out first, by my "Uncle", not parents. LOL!

Orbis Non Sufficit
>")))><
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You found the best forum on the web man.., helpful nice guys here I'm a member on prolly 12-15 forums and this is bar none the best group of people with the quickest best answers..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

T
T
Yeah BK,
I'm finding that out fairly quick. From what little lurking I've done so far, it sounds like I've found a home here. Thanks for the info so far, and I didn't take it as bad that you didn't like the little brown fellas, I know that they can be the "Devil Spawn" in most places. Just gotta prick that blister, if you know what I mean.

Orbis Non Sufficit
>")))><
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Be careful what you wish for when it comes to bullheads.

Here is a link to a Pond Boss Bullhead adventure we had about 14-15 months ago.

Pond Boss Bullhead Roundup at Sunil's

It changed my perspective on bullheads. We had a blast! The bullheads were delicious.

In any case, welcome to Pond Boss. It is a fun place to learn about ponds, fish, and many other subjects that may or may not be related to reality.

Ken

T
T
Hey Ken,
Thanks for the warm welcome and great read, vids, and pics. THAT's what I'm talk'n about. Granted with enough friends, beer, ammo, and dinosaurs a large time can be had by most any one. But toss in a pond full of those little brownies and some grease to release them in and any one can have a blast. Looks like Ya'll had a boat full of fun, I just wish that I had a place like that close enough to get to on less than a tank or two of gas. Thanks again, and I'm sure that I'll enjoy talk'n to all of the fine folks on here.

Orbis Non Sufficit
>")))><
O
O
Just found the forum today.
I live in North Georgia and bought a place about three years ago that has about a 1/2 acre pond. The previous owner had lived there for 20 years and said she never really did much with it. I am hoping to gain information on the forum that will help me produce and maintain a healthy and fun fishing hole.
Thanks in advanced for any support!
Questions to follow.......

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. ~Author Unknown
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Welcome Ottis! Jump right in and start asking questions! And post pictures!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday