Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
cgoetz1, BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss
18,518 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,994
Posts558,320
Members18,519
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,579
ewest 21,510
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
4 members (BarkyDoos, anthropic, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure), 692 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#34585 03/04/05 09:07 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Does anyone have experience with and/or advice regarding Green Clean for algae control? I have a 12 acre lake, actually an old strip pit. I'm trying to control the algae (you name it and it seems like I've got it) on the two to three acre end on which I live. I've tried Cutrine Plus with OK but not great results. Green Clean sounds promising and it also looks to be compatible with micro-organism treatments for sludge, etc. But before I dole out a few hundred bucks to try it this spring I'd like some input from those who've used it. Any thoughts?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Mike, Green Clean (sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate)may be still trying to find their (Bio Safe)fit. I have had little luck with chara,and nitella and filamentous algae in general in using it. On light infestations on rocks in shallow water it would seem if you shovel on large amounts it does set it back some. BioSafe has come out with GreenClean Pro and is stating the AI has "doubled". The old formulation (GreenClean) was 50% AI and the new "Pro" is 85% AI. I called them on this claim and was told they would have to talk to marketing about this but the new "Pro" was stronger. So if you double the rate from the old formulation you are actually using much less AI then before with the new GreenClean Pro" The new rate for the Pro is a max of 90 LB per acre foot and label states that " tolerant filamentous algae blooms may require multiple treatments"and spot treatments are 50 lb per acre foot. So is very costly for treating a symptom in your pond.At some point BioSAfe will figure ought how to address the cost issue in larger bodies of water but Im going to wait on the sideline until that time.Ps I would also agree that it is safe but only to the extent that they (BioSafe) are aware of, lots to learn about the long term effect on the ponds ecosystem.Do you know what "specific" algae/plants are causing you concern?My 2 cents Ted

M
OP Offline
M
Ted,

Thanks for the 2 cents. What types of algae do I have? According to a lake assessment I had performed in September '02 I've got Chara, Microcystis and Anabena, various diatomes and mixed green unicellular algae. At the time, I did not have a problem with filimentous algae but it had been a real issue earlier that summer and in the next two summers.

The lake assessment also showed that dissolved oxygen was "essentially absent" beginning at 8' (the lake's 28'-40' deep) ortho-phosphate levels were 0.02 ppm at the surface and 0.92 ppm at the bottom, amonia nitrogen levels ranged from 0.14 ppm at the surface to 2.6 ppm at the bottom, and the secchi disk reading was 30".

No maintenance had been done on the lake in its 50 year life. Since the September '02 lake assessment, I installed aerators (two compressors/four diffusers) early summer '03, sold off the 18 head of cattle that had free reign, created a buffer to minimize field run-off, and dredged the silt along our shoreline and about 30' out and pumped in 180 tons of sand. I also bought a lake rake (for which my chiropractor will be eternally greatful). We're in the midst of a family "discussion" over what I should/can do about the 200 Canadian Geese that migrate in every winter and the 20 or so that decide to stay.

I don't know what else I can do other than chemical treatments. Even then, there's chelated copper, sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate, barley straw, enzymes, bacteria, etc., etc. My head is spinning! I don't mind spending a grand a year on something that works but I'm not excited about continuing to fill this money pit on unsuccessful experiments.

I'm in this for the long term so I'd prefer to focus on a long term solution. However, I'm also really in to immediate gratification.

So, any advice?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Are you running 4 diffusers for the entire lake or just your 3 acre end. Have you done any DO checks at random times since the aeration was installed.With water that deep I am curious as to what fish you have.And if you have any amurs do they seem to do anything to your chara?

M
OP Offline
M
Yep, four for the entire 12 acres. This was per the recommendations of AquaticEcosystems after I provided them with all the relevant data, lake aerials, water depth charts, etc. I questioned it too but was assured four were sufficient. They're suspended at 18'-20' depth. I do plan on adding another set, regardless of the recommendations, but we only have power at the two ends of a long lake and I need to get power to the middle area first. this is the subject of another family "discussion".

I have no amurs. I'd love to try them but I get mixed messages on whether they will eat the chara. At 12 per acre, that's a $1,500+ investment, albeit one time. Not much if it works -- a lot if it doesn't.

We have bluegill and large mouth bass. I'm no great fishemnan, but my expert/brother-in-law tells me the bluegill are quite large. The bass are not but they are healthy. The lake has been underfished for many, many years. My "expert" and a friend caught 76 bass and 24 bluegill in 4-1/2 hours this past summer.

No DO check done since the original assessment.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Not sure where the $1500.00 figure on the amurs comes from but you may have some other issues at play. I will send you a PM

Lunker
Lunker
CLICK TO SEE> Earlier post discussing GREENCLEAN

I guess I should have indicated that the underlined text was a link.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I think this is the post Kelly is refering to:
http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=000082

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Green Clean is one brand name for Peroxygen Carbonate a granular form of hydrogen peroxide (hydrogen dioxide). It is also available in liquid form. Other brand names are Phycomycin and Pak 27. They are oxidizers and impact algae my disrupting or breaking down the outer membrane of the algae.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/25/11 08:47 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
D
Should another chemical or product be used after using GreenClean Pro? Bacteria like Micro Lyfe Complete or Concentrate? Or their Digester product? Something else to prevent the dead algae from contributing to another growth of algae? What about Reward herbicide? Other products? Thanks.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Microbe or bacterial additions can be helpful at replacing some of the bacterial flora after algacide treatments. It somewhat depends on that dosage and extent of algacide used.

I wonder how Mike Rhees' small lake is progressing? IMO in a water body that deep it would not take 12 amur per acre to reduce the Chara problem. It should be reduced not eliminated IMO. I also think the lake should have been aerated at the 28 & 40 ft depths to eliminate the anoxic hypolinminion and excess nutrient production.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
8ball3290, BradVV, patcinkc, Teg
Recent Posts
Is my feeder toast?
by Boondoggle - 05/07/24 05:14 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 05/07/24 12:10 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by jludwig - 05/07/24 11:47 AM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/07/24 07:23 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday