Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 666 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I wouldn't mind hosting something like this once i get my mostly in ground solar heated building up and several fish tanks installed. Unfortunated that is about 2 years off as my 5 to 6 pound brook trout sales to other taxidermists will help finance it! but they won't be for sale until the fall of 2014.

Why wait? Plan something for an earlier future date! I'll kick in a few bucks! I need to stop by sometime!

Nix the catered food tho. It was decent, but a nicely grilled burger with all the stuff, would have been much better!

Planning takes a bit of time tho!

I could avoid paying the rental fee for a tent if I had a building. Also wouldn't have to worry about the weather. I'd like to showcase my systems complete with brook, brown, rainbow, and tiger trout and a grow out tank for bluegill and yellow perch YOY.

I'd advertise in the paper that covers a few counties and would probably be able to bring in a big crowd. It worked for our spring aquaculture show. Actually too well!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/24/13 10:01 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JKB, I HATE yellow jackets. I was stung on the cheek when I was a kid and really, really dislike them. You're right, they have no respect. Especially in the Fall when they're attracted to meat. You can't clean fish outside without having to battel them for the fish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I haven't had a chance to say thank you to all who attended and especially Scott for hosting the get together!! It was wonderful to see the usual suspects and meet some new ones!! Outdoorliving, you fit right in - thank you so much for making the T-shirts!! Bruce, I really enjoyed the fishing experience ~ I still can't believe you took a photo of my epic line fiasco for all to see!! Bob and Fred ~ it was soooo nice to see you and spend time with you guys as always! Ted, it's been too long since I've seen you and Terri~ thank you so much for hauling all that Vertex equipment to the meeting and for making me proud to have such a knowledgeable friend and dealer! I can't wait for the next one!!

Last edited by Sue Cruz; 07/25/13 07:45 AM.

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
JKB, I HATE yellow jackets. I was stung on the cheek when I was a kid and really, really dislike them. You're right, they have no respect. Especially in the Fall when they're attracted to meat. You can't clean fish outside without having to battel them for the fish.

You got that right! I once stepped on a nest bare footed as a kid whike fishing. Man did that hurt!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sue:

Bruce came to me and showed me the reel, saying "I don't want to throw anybody under the bus, but Sue did it." I believe he thought I'd be upset, but heck no, that's part of fishing. As Bruce alluded to, that line needed to be changed anyway! Mike Carson had my camera and I had him take a picture of it so I could give Bruce some grief. grin He needed something sharp to undo the tangle.

It was good seeing you again, and I really, really appreciate you (and everybody else) for coming to the seminar! I'm pretty sure that I'm going to do it again next year, but earlier in the year and indoors where the threat of bad weather won't affect it. If everything goes as tentatively planned, we could make a short drive (less than 2 miles) to my pond for any hands on demos.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Sue:

Bruce came to me and showed me the reel, saying "I don't want to throw anybody under the bus, but Sue did it." I believe he thought I'd be upset, but heck no, that's part of fishing. As Bruce alluded to, that line needed to be changed anyway! Mike Carson had my camera and I had him take a picture of it so I could give Bruce some grief. grin He needed something sharp to undo the tangle.

Seems to me I recall someone else suffering line difficulties with that rod, later in the day. I felt so sorry for him, it was almost enough to make me put down my rod and try to help. Almost. wink

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yea! It was the rod and old line!!

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sue Cruz

Ironically, Scott had one of the best equipped tackle boxes I've ever run across! All the right lures...all the right sizes...all the right colors....but then hands me a rod circa 1977 with K-Mart line that was probably pre-wound on the reel. smile My Goodness, Man!!! laugh

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Lol

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

Ironically, Scott had one of the best equipped tackle boxes I've ever run across! All the right lures...all the right sizes...all the right colors....but then hands me a rod circa 1977 with K-Mart line that was probably pre-wound on the reel. smile My Goodness, Man!!! laugh

I wanted to bring my new rig down that everyone here helped me with, but had that really stinky and short S-10 from work due to the CV joint in my truck acting up. 7' one piece don't fit in a 4' box! I really like this thing! grin

Ever try the Nano line? I really like it! Should be up your alley, because it's like dental floss! And with all that Chicken and movie star teeth, you could take care of it between cast's laugh

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

I saw the whole thing with you and Sue wink , and then you requested a pocket knife! May have had something to do with opening the bail and not quite being ready! Just saying!

I hate when that happens tho! Nano don't do that, but you can tie it up on the tip in instances. Never a major one tho.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I like nano, but I find the smaller diameter line tends to dig in on the spool...I tend to cast with very light presentations, and if I stick a fish big enough to slip the drag, the line will bind up on the spool and not want to come off under the miniscule weight I'm throwing. I usually have to pull off some by hand, then wind it back up under no pressure, before it will cast any good distance again.

Not that big of a problem, just an aggravation.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeez! Give you a nice St. Croix Rod, a Diawa Regal Z reel and all ya do is complain about the line. laugh

Actually I have a brand new spool of 6# Maxima Ultragreen here to put on the reel, but that was one of the things that I didn't get done before everybody showed up. grin

I looked - it was 2 year old 6# Berkley Vanish Transition Fluro that was on the reel.

Bruce, I had 1/8th, 1/16th and 3/16th jig heads in my other tackle box. I think I have 4 or 5 freshwater boxes and one LARGE saltwater box that needs to be moved around on a 2 wheeled cart. Once that one hits the boat it stays in place until the trip is over. laugh I gave you my small "pond" box.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Some pictures from today. The first 2 are what JKB found when he and I went to look at the electric at the other property.

I can taste the steaks already! grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It's a pretty cool nest, and I don't see anything giving me the eye outa that! eek grin

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I like nano, but I find the smaller diameter line tends to dig in on the spool...I tend to cast with very light presentations, and if I stick a fish big enough to slip the drag, the line will bind up on the spool and not want to come off under the miniscule weight I'm throwing. I usually have to pull off some by hand, then wind it back up under no pressure, before it will cast any good distance again.

Not that big of a problem, just an aggravation.

I find that Nano packs really tight, but may just be the way I do it. I always use my fingers as a tensioner on occasion after cast's and also spool it up pretty tight. Learned that as a kid after a few Afros happened! I know the mess!

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: Bruce
...but then hands me a rod circa 1977 with K-Mart line that was probably pre-wound on the reel. My Goodness, Man!!!

When Bruce comes to your pond, you've got to do something to protect your fish!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

I looked - it was 2 year old 6# Berkley Vanish Transition Fluro that was on the reel.

Uhh, keep in mind that "bought two years ago" may not exactly mean "two years old". If you buy line in the sale bin at Dollar General, it's probably got five years, two hundred rads, and 30,000 thermal cycles on it. It handled just like al dente spaghetti. smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You know I'm just givin' ya a hard time, right?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
No. His feelings are certainly hurt now. So sad....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
That pic of Bambi makes me hungry!!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil

laugh

Cabelas in Hammond, Indiana is where it came from. I wonder if they put expiration dates on them?

Now, if you would have asked for 4# or 2#, those ARE freshly spooled this Spring. But NO, you had to ask for 6#! grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
That pic of Bambi makes me hungry!!!

Last year in early bow season there was one with spots on it's hindquarters and I let it walk by every day for almost 2 weeks. When the lightbulb came on saying "Hey, that would look good tanned as a throw on one of the couches!" it's spots were gone. frown

Ain't making that same decision this year!

I know the local farmer has depredation tags, and I'm guessing that Mom is no longer around since I haven't seen her at all. If I'm in the tractor, they run away, but stop 100' away at the most.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Thought it was forbidden to take one in spots or maybe they have changed that.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Sunil

laugh

Cabelas in Hammond, Indiana is where it came from. I wonder if they put expiration dates on them?

Now, if you would have asked for 4# or 2#, those ARE freshly spooled this Spring. But NO, you had to ask for 6#! grin

I, too, have been chastised by Condello for my line choices. It hurts for a while…

Page 15 of 18 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy