Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,946
Posts557,793
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,510
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, ArkieJig, Boondoggle, canyoncreek, Augie, catscratch, FishinRod, FireIsHot, Theeck), 974 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JKB, I was within a couple feet of the nest today while I was spraying it. It's dead now. They were pretty meek. Didn't get stung once, nor did any even come at me.

I left the camera at home, so pics will have to wait 'till Thurs.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not liquid filled? Vacuum guage?

1000 was a joke

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 07/23/13 07:05 PM.

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Hmmm no pipe dope or band/clamp on the hose and barb fitting?? The guage is in x1000 increments smile

RC no need to worry man your system works great obviously there's differences between your system and the test.. Who knows what but there's obviously differences..

Hey everyone I am not here to get anyone to buy my low end system. Or take any buisness away from a "sponser" of pondboss sorry if some folks feel that way. My system is exactly what it is low end cause I could not afford the high end.. That was all I couid afford when I made that system if I had the money I would have a high end system. Am I taking more of a chance than the guy with the 1500 dollar system??? Sure I am that's a no brainer... but it is what it is for me right now. Maybe one day I can swap all my stuff out but till then this is all I got and it's been working for me without any issues and we get some hot, hot summers here in Arkansas. Anyway no worries I just dont want people thinking my setup is as good as others cause I never said it was I mean lets face it you do get what you pay for right. My system is cheep but works that doesn't mean I may not lose some fish at some point.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Hey RC,

While I wasnt there, I dont think any of the posting was intended to say your system was ineffective for you. I know that your system intrigued me and I kept pestering Ted via PM about why I would want a higher end compressor versus the ECO 7. It was likely my thick-headedness that helped push a need for simpler explanation of why that and other compressors may not be best if you have options on systems.

I still look at your system and figure better to have some aeration than none, and you got a system that seems to be working for you based on the pond results you post!

John

Give a few country boys a little money, beer, an arc welder and power tools and great things can happen...or someone is going to the hospital or jail.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I know I'm gonna' regret this, but I'll bite....I'm assuming a gauge intended for ammonia is made from different materials than one intended for "air", but are you hinting that they are calibrated differently??

Just how much difference is there between a "0" reading on an ammonia gauge, vs. one intended for air? grin Is it enough to render the test ineffective, or merely enough to raise the hackles on a lonely engineer? wink

Inquiring minds after all....

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I thought ammonia was the brand.. Lol I'm an idiot

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Lets all take a deep breath. This has been a very good exchange of thoughts. Sorry I have not added much as been covered up since I returned from GTG 1.Let me touch on a few points and then we can move on to better fish stuff. I purchased this pump the Eco 7 from Kens Fish last August to test as I had a few inquires as to its effectiveness. I often purchase pumps, diffusers, windmills, cabinets just to test and observe over time. These units are not resold I just have lots of them for testing. I have been looking for an economical linear pump for several years to add to the lineup. I not only sell Vertex products but manufacturer our own ForeverGreen Economy Lines of aeration systems with companies that compete against the Vertex Line such as Gast. There is a spot for both lines even though all of our systems have Vertex airstations. (Im that sold on them) As far as my field test last Saturday I use a dry gauge and a wet gauge to check each other.> added< an ammonia guage that I used is used in the 20% air space in the top of an ammonia vessel, and does not measure liquid pressue, I use these because they are SS and this is one of the things I took out of the NH3 biz after being in it for 25 years they make a great air pressure gauge At 5.1 psi which is the maximum the Eco 7 is suppose to produce a band clamp was not needed. I only wish it would of blown off. When I rebuild compressors I use these gauges in 5 lb increments to see if the cfm is where it is suppose to be. I only test to 35 psi on 35 psi rated models and 10 on 10 psi models so those gauges serve me well. I loaded all of this equipment up 15 minutes before we departed as did not know if I should bring anything or not, One of the common questions I get is what is the difference between a linear, vane and wobl piston so brought all three just incase there was any interest. No agenda set.RC when I sent you a PM about my bench test results last August 2nd 2012 I had mentioned that if was doing what you needed it to do just keep at it since it was working for you but I could not get the results I needed. Since I don't know the cfm available at your depths ( cant get a flow chart and I called two more distributors today to get one) and probably cant get any lifting data from the your diffuser manufacturer I would only be selling equipment if I offered that system. It would be too risky for me to do that. You are getting the results you need but I have to sell results too and could not get myself comfortable with that pump. Another big item that stood out in the owners manual was to keep it under 100F, and keep it out of the sun were two that I thought might limit it. JKB what I would like to do is ship you this unit for any kind of testing you want to do. I would appreciate your feedback. Then lets get it to RC and may come in handy for spare parts or a backup unit. RC my concern is always that a DIY system will come up short for someone that does not realize their demand for DO may be different than yours and that even though 2 ponds are the same size they often require very different systems.Hope this helps and take care !!

Last edited by Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN; 07/23/13 08:16 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Man Ted I like your plan there JKB can get the info and RC gets a spare.. Man your a nice guy.. Next time you test a 3/4hp gast rotary and need to give it too someone for a spare let me know lol...jk

Ted you get some time and caught up I'd like too PM you about my system too see if you can gimme some info on what it's doin lift and output wise.. NO HURRY AT ALL..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That Ted is one classy fellow......I enjoyed spending a little time with him on Saturday.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Ted I get that, I know you guys have to stand behind what you sell for sure as that is your lively hood. Thats all I want folks to understand is I never wrote anything anywhere that my system is a no fail system. What I would like to test is a couple of vertex fusers on my system and see what they do in my pond at current depth. You said when you tested you couldn't get anything after 4 I would like to see what I could get with a couple of vertex fusers in 8 foot. I may have to purchase a couple from someone. Anyhow no bad thoughts here from me its all good.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
RC I would suggest buying them from Ted lol..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 07/23/13 09:08 PM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Originally Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN
Lets all take a deep breath. This has been a very good exchange of thoughts. Sorry I have not added much as been covered up since I returned from GTG 1.Let me touch on a few points and then we can move on to better fish stuff. I purchased this pump the Eco 7 from Kens Fish last August to test as I had a few inquires as to its effectiveness. I often purchase pumps, diffusers, windmills, cabinets just to test and observe over time. These units are not resold I just have lots of them for testing. I have been looking for an economical linear pump for several years to add to the lineup. I not only sell Vertex products but manufacturer our own ForeverGreen Economy Lines of aeration systems with companies that compete against the Vertex Line such as Gast. There is a spot for both lines even though all of our systems have Vertex airstations. (Im that sold on them) As far as my field test last Saturday I use a dry gauge and a wet gauge to check each other.> added< an ammonia guage that I used is used in the 20% air space in the top of an ammonia vessel, and does not measure liquid pressue, I use these because they are SS and this is one of the things I took out of the NH3 biz after being in it for 25 years they make a great air pressure gauge At 5.1 psi which is the maximum the Eco 7 is suppose to produce a band clamp was not needed. I only wish it would of blown off. When I rebuild compressors I use these gauges in 5 lb increments to see if the cfm is where it is suppose to be. I only test to 35 psi on 35 psi rated models and 10 on 10 psi models so those gauges serve me well. I loaded all of this equipment up 15 minutes before we departed as did not know if I should bring anything or not, One of the common questions I get is what is the difference between a linear, vane and wobl piston so brought all three just incase there was any interest. No agenda set.RC when I sent you a PM about my bench test results last August 2nd 2012 I had mentioned that if was doing what you needed it to do just keep at it since it was working for you but I could not get the results I needed. Since I don't know the cfm available at your depths ( cant get a flow chart and I called two more distributors today to get one) and probably cant get any lifting data from the your diffuser manufacturer I would only be selling equipment if I offered that system. It would be too risky for me to do that. You are getting the results you need but I have to sell results too and could not get myself comfortable with that pump. Another big item that stood out in the owners manual was to keep it under 100F, and keep it out of the sun were two that I thought might limit it. JKB what I would like to do is ship you this unit for any kind of testing you want to do. I would appreciate your feedback. Then lets get it to RC and may come in handy for spare parts or a backup unit. RC my concern is always that a DIY system will come up short for someone that does not realize their demand for DO may be different than yours and that even though 2 ponds are the same size they often require very different systems.Hope this helps and take care !!

Great info Ted......but one big paragraph grin.Just kidding.

Last edited by hang_loose; 07/23/13 11:34 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
These 'stream of consciousness' posts are killing me!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Sunil
These 'stream of consciousness' posts are killing me!

When the creative juices are flowing they can't be confined within a linguistic levee... Cinch down that PFD and jump in, Sunil.... grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I wouldn't mind hosting something like this once i get my mostly in ground solar heated building up and several fish tanks installed. Unfortunated that is about 2 years off as my 5 to 6 pound brook trout sales to other taxidermists will help finance it! but they won't be for sale until the fall of 2014.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/24/13 10:20 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
JKB, I was within a couple feet of the nest today while I was spraying it. It's dead now. They were pretty meek. Didn't get stung once, nor did any even come at me.

You failed to mention the enclosed cab you were in while on the tractor during the spraying Op! wink laugh

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I wouldn't mind hosting something like this once i get my mostly in ground solar heated building up and several fish tanks installed. Unfortunated that is about 2 years off as my 5 to 6 pound brook trout sales to other taxidermists will help finance it! but they won't be for sale until the fall of 2014.

Why wait? Plan something for an earlier future date! I'll kick in a few bucks! I need to stop by sometime!

Nix the catered food tho. It was decent, but a nicely grilled burger with all the stuff, would have been much better!

Planning takes a bit of time tho!

esshup Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: esshup

You failed to mention the enclosed cab you were in while on the tractor during the spraying Op! wink laugh

laugh Ssshhhhh! grin

They really aren't that agressive around here. I was smoothing out the dirt at my place with the Kubota and the ROPS was whacking the tree branches as I box bladed around the tree. On the 3rd pass I turned to my left and out of the corner of my eye I saw this large funnel shaped object not 3' away from me in the tree. I turned a little bit more to get a better look and realized that it was an active Bald Faced Hornets nest. Every time I went under the tree, the ROPS hit the branch that it was attached to and it went for a ride. It was about 1/3 again larger than the one that was on the H-Frame. I didn't tempt fate and go under the tree again, but I never got stung either. I'll bet my head was 2' from that nest when I was going under the tree! That tractor does NOT have a cab on it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Hornets are not really aggressive around here either, but man handling their hive could pose some problems.

Wasp's are OK, and I like the big 'ole Bumble Bees!

The real stinkers around here are Yellow Jackets! They have no conscience, and obviously never learned in school on what they were supposed to sting!

Them's the ones ya make sure you have a get away plan in place before ya roach their hive!

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 09:43 AM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 09:26 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?